LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scaler trail run 3/9/13

3/9/13
Triple falls, DuPont forest
Hendersonville nc
Scoped it out today with jkabee.
This place is going to be great. No comp just a fun run. Here's some pics meeting time will be determined after we get some input 10:00 would be my suggestion but i know we got some guys coming from out of town. So feel free to post up suggestions and be prepared to pack a lunch they have picnic tables
So who's in?
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scaler trail run 3/9/13

Wow, what an awesome spot for some trail action. Looks like it has everything we crave, in abundance! All 4 guys from my group are coming for sure... We can't wait for a change of scenery and looking forward to meeting some more scale guys! Thanks for the recon and pics Mike
Bad Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hey, I'm one of the 4 "Bad Apple" was talking about.
Great pics!! Looking forward to getting down your way, just hope the weather is good ;)

Any places close buy to grab grub or should we pack a lunch?
The Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Pack a lunch for sure. Looking forward to meeting you guys as well.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

How far away from the parking area are the crawlin spots? Close enough to run back and forth to follow repairs/battery changes? Would you need to carry a pack with tools, spares, batteries etc?
vader2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

1/4 mile and 1/2 mile, threre is two main trails/areas that we found that would be great for scaling, there is triple falls which is a 1/2 mile away but its a pretty steep climb on the main trail and there is hooker falls that is a 1/4 mile from the parking area which its flat. I myself will have backpack, its not a necessity, but i would suggest carrying one . There are some picnic table at both areas to work on your rigs. There is even another water fall past triple we didn't make it to its 1.1miles away from the parking lot.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I would like to be able to show up to this. I would have to bring my daughter which isn't a big deal but her rig is still running NiMh for now. I don't want to go all the way out there and make her run on those crapola Nicell's. Maybe I can pick up some hi-capacity 2s lipos for her rig soon.

I hope ya'll have fun!!! Be sure to take plenty of photos and video.

Last edited by SStone; 02-17-2013 at 07:02 AM.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys... As Constant already said, this place has alot of potential. We may need some small bridges and ramps here and there, so if anyone coming already has some scaler bridges and ramps, speak up. Otherwise I'm going to build some lightweight pieces that I can carry in my pack. An assortment of 12" to 36" pieces would be ideal. We can pick them up and reuse them as we do our route. There will be alot of technical terrain that will require winching or pull straps, and the "buddy system" will be in full effect. The cool thing is this is truly "scaler terrain". We will navigate as a team, with our goal to be Point A to Point B with everyone completing the route. Leave no man behind. Although this is "for fun", please come prepared to be as scale as possible. Trail repairs will likely need to be onsite, so bring a backpack with spare parts, tools, and whatever you need to make minor repairs to your rig. If you have to walk back to your car, you will miss out on alot of trail riding. Also, BRING LUNCH and drink. There are plenty of spots to sit and take a break, but there is no food within 20 minutes of this place, so come prepared. Constant, Seon, and I are really hoping to drive serious interest in WNC scaling in 2013, and this is our first solid attempt at bringing everyone together. We scouted this place out in 30 degree weather with snow falling, so we are serious. Someone mentioned bringing their kid... No problem. This is a great spot and kid friendly. Make sure you bring your cameras with you. There are phot opps galore here. I'll post some additional pics next.

Last edited by jkabee; 02-17-2013 at 08:34 AM.
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Additional pics:

Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

More pics:

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

More pics:

Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Guys/gals, if you're wanting to get the WNC scene established, you don't want to miss this event. This place is scaler-awesome, and we are already looking at 8+ attendees (great time to network and get WNC Scalers up and running). Tell you buddies and save the date. Constant and I have discussed having these get togethers at a minimum of once per month with plenty of notice, and smaller get togethers in between. You don't want to miss this meet! Hope to see you there.

Oh yeah, don't forget to tel us if you have any bridges you can bring. They don't have to be fancy. They just have to hold a truck!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

This trip keeps sounding better all the time... The more scale the better!!

I've got you covered on a 24x10" lightweight plank bridge ;)
Bad Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

WOO-HOO!!! Lots of rocks!! me like'um some rocks Just one question-----do we have to crawl the dog as well? ;)
The Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bug View Post
WOO-HOO!!! Lots of rocks!! me like'um some rocks Just one question-----do we have to crawl the dog as well? ;)
A rollover would be the least of your concerns with her!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #16

Ill be there. I am one of the four with bad apple. Great looking spot. Alot like Stone Mtn here in wilkes. See you guys then. May bring some acesories for the scx10 that I fabricate, Bumpers, and some suspension parts. Any one needing a new bumper or some new sliders out of stainless steel. You can get in touch with me or Bad Apple. There is not alot of time for me to get alot done between now and then but I may be able to get a couple done. Don't want to make this a sales pitch or any thing So I willl leave it at that.
gadget10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget10 View Post
Ill be there. I am one of the four with bad apple. Great looking spot. Alot like Stone Mtn here in wilkes. See you guys then. May bring some acesories for the scx10 that I fabricate, Bumpers, and some suspension parts. Any one needing a new bumper or some new sliders out of stainless steel. You can get in touch with me or Bad Apple. There is not alot of time for me to get alot done between now and then but I may be able to get a couple done. Don't want to make this a sales pitch or any thing So I willl leave it at that.
SALES PITCH.... SALES PITCH....
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Mike & Monty, I'm going to try to go there the weekend prior (March 2nd) and do some trail maintenance, test drive some areas, and figure out bridges/signage. Let me know if you want to attend.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #19

How much water proofing will we likily need. I know some people have different opinions about getting in water. Just wondering so I can get things in line. I know it might look out of place but if no one has any poblem with it I can possibly make a bridge out of alluminum. If needed I can paint it.
gadget10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well i drive a submarine, so i don't tend look at routs around water.lol The water level was very high when we went and it still seemed like you could traverse around water hazards im not saying you wont have to use "the hand of god" but it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe jkabee could chime in on this he since he has been there a few times.

Scaler trail run 3/9/13 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Scaler TRail Run Spot Chesapeake 4ONDFLR Virginia 8 01-11-2012 06:42 PM
This weekend scaler run(mormon trail 8AM 12/11) strap624 Arizona 25 12-10-2011 08:16 PM
GTG Sunday May 15 Scaler Trail Run mp3ranger Virginia 0 05-09-2011 08:49 PM
Va scaler club trail run 5-1-2011 mp3ranger Virginia 1 05-02-2011 06:41 AM