Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Body forming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

TWO WORDS Carbon Fiber!! That would be the most killer body! Just get the sheets before they add the resin and work it into a female mold. Would also make cool wrap around panels for tubers! HMMMMMMMM?
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Ok 2 hours in on an expected 50-100 hour project, and this is where I am at.. It actually looks better in a pic that real life but not to bad sence I have NO experience with clay. Also I am using the $3.99 starter kit from the art store. This is the clay the lady said that is used as I explained my project.. Plan is to get it as good as I can with hands, and make a silicone female mold, and then from that make a plaster male mold.. and go from there... Obviously plans may change as we learn more about different processes.. anyways you can thrash my attempt as I have to try something...

skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Your kidding me RIGHT?! That is F'N sweet! If they come out I WANT, I WANT!! I'm gonna send this link to my uncle right now!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

That's awesome. What wb is it giong to be? I would love to get a hold of one of those when your finished. Please let me know how everthing works out.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Right on guys.. I hope to god I dont runin the work with my first mold attempt.. I will take every precaution I can..

The thing will change a lot. and the wheel wells are set yet beasue I am unsure how I want to do the back.. and I may even put another layer on it so its a bit bigger.. Right now its the size of a stock savage body.. and if I were to do it now I would make it so the wheel wells would be at 11.5"-12"...

I'm sure if it comes out anything nice, I would have a bunch of people wanting one.. even the folks that wish I wasnt alive.... I'll remember.. hahahaha
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

What brand/type of clay is that and is it self hardening? The crap that I bought shrinks like no tommorrow. I believe it was marblex or something to that effect.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

that is amazeing i would be so down if you sold them
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaclodking
What brand/type of clay is that and is it self hardening? The crap that I bought shrinks like no tommorrow. I believe it was marblex or something to that effect.

Its the sculpting clay that the art store said to use.. It can recive a female mold with the right materials. I am unsure what the name of that is, but I will know soon enough.. I actually think its only going to take around 40-60 hours at most.. I am close to haveing one side done.. I think the hard part will be to get the other side to be semetrical to the side I am working.. Then I have to make sure I have the gaps correct so the body lines and features show up in the mold that I am aiming for....
Old 12-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

I have talked with a few people with some experience with scratch built vacuum formed models. They said the best way to get the details formed is by using a female mold. In various places such as cab corners and such drill very small holes to allow vacuum to pull through.

I am off to the craft store now. hopefully I will find something of use that will allow me to start on my rover.

Last edited by thaclodking; 12-12-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

My bosses have worked with this and my freind/boss has 35+ years of design experince in the areospace industry.. Your right that the female mold can be the easy way to get good detail, but a properly built vac forming table can do it to.. Also having a master mold, you can have either female or male molds and design the vac table to do both with some switching around..

We are going after this project full time.. I have a list going of what all is needed.. I even have a hook on a brand new vac pump that is WAY more than enough power.. Also have the tanks to use as the major velocity vacume pull, and have an old range to strip out the elements and temp controls..
Old 12-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Man am I glad I asked this question! I never thought that anyone was this interested in making bodies. Skip, keep up the good work. Maybe something else to try would be just a cab so people could build a Badger like truck but still have the rear wall of the cab.( not open) like bruiser/ mounty bodies. My Hilux body has a back wall thats what made me think of it.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx
Man am I glad I asked this question! I never thought that anyone was this interested in making bodies. Skip, keep up the good work. Maybe something else to try would be just a cab so people could build a Badger like truck but still have the rear wall of the cab.( not open) like bruiser/ mounty bodies. My Hilux body has a back wall thats what made me think of it.

Yes I am highly debating making two molds.. a cab and a bed.. but once I get to the point of making bodies, having another mold, or moddifying an existing mold for flatbeds wouldnt be that hard.. But for my project i am most likely going to use a truck with bed body.. Also I kinda made it so that the bed has a "bobed" look to it.. and thats a sweet look in my book.. More things to come in the future..!

Old 12-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Let me know what you find for a vacuum pump. I have one that I used for automotive A/C work. I plumbed it into an old air tank and it will remove quite a bit of air quickly. In your opinion would you make a rover with or without the top? I found this on Ebay. This is pretty much what I am shooting for.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Actually I have a real vacume pump that we were going to use for a vac table on a CNC.. So I have that coming to the house soon.

Personally I would do the top off, so I could make a roll cage.. Thats how I have my next project planned.. The suzuki SAMURI..! Thats if the yota goes well of course..

Did you get your clay..?

EDIT: I think that the window would give you some serious issues if you were to do a top off form... Ouch, i really wanted to do that...

Last edited by skipstr71; 12-10-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #35

Quote:
The suzuki SAMURI..!

That would be sweet!!!, I love that yota so far too!! You guy's might think I'm really dumb, but I might try this. But try to make a copy of my Trooper.
onebadtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

a SAMURI would be sic, no i would want one of those also. you could always build the rest of the roof with no details if you were planing to go topless just have it there to form the body
Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadtrooper
That would be sweet!!!, I love that yota so far too!! You guy's might think I'm really dumb, but I might try this. But try to make a copy of my Trooper.
Thanks.. and Yea I am a huge fan of both Toyota's and sami's.. I have 2 yota's and 1 sami...

Theres nothing dumb about setting your mind to a goal and completing it.. no matter what it is.. Just remeber that some bodies are in demand.. and some are not.. So yo may be doing a lot of work just so you can have one.. and thats alright.. I just know that when the yota comes out nice, the PM box is gonna get a work out..

The clay sculptureing is VERY fun.. extremely tedious, but I sat down last night and did almost 5 hours worth...
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Yep, some stuff by the name of roma plastilina, #2 medium. Looks like they had everything I would need for doing a female mold once I get the master done.

I also found a pic from my trip to Jamaica, this also looks like a good candidate for a body. The front end would be a little easier to duplicate on this model.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #39

Yeah this would be just for me, I don't think anybody would want any even if
I did try to sell them
Its got pretty straight lines so it wouldn't be to hard, I don't think anyway...

onebadtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

hey thaclodking dont know if your looking to make one for fun but they make a land rover like the one your looking at http://www.kamtec.co.uk/