Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Body forming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

ok so you will make a female mold and the a male plaster mold, that sounds cool, you guys are doing great.
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #82
Sinking with the ship

Default Saweet

Guys, this is coming out awesome! I love the "bobbed" bed look and I kinda like the "billet grill" . Keep up the great work.

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Thanks man.. I am tossed between making it exact (as I can) and how I like to see yota's look.. So I kinda compermised.. I did a half "bobbed" look.. What would be like 6"-8" off the back of the bed.. The grill lines were just put there so it had something there.. otherwise it looks weird. helps with the overall picture when I am looking at it..

Over last night and into today, I put the project out in the garage.. This helped out a lot with smoothing it out.. In the house its nice and warm at 70-72 and the keeps the clay very soft.. So i had it in the garage and its around 60 (or less) in there.. Now its very easy to smooth out but not easy to work.. Might be something to try out for you.. Just know that I am in CA, and this may not be good if you have snow on the ground out side..
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

I cheated and won this on Ebay:

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Had the idea of building a scale 4x4 baja truck.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronusTRD
I cheated and won this on Ebay:

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Had the idea of building a scale 4x4 baja truck.

OMG, I am gonna shot ya..!

I am not sure if I ever seen that...?

One thing here is that there is nothing better in the world than saying " I made it" when people ask "where did you get that..?!"
Old 12-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

I added a new tool to the arsenal. I was cutting the cheese with one of those wire type slicers and thought "why not" so I tried it. It works great for shaving down flat areas and leaves a pretty decent finish.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstr71
OMG, I am gonna shot ya..!

I am not sure if I ever seen that...?

One thing here is that there is nothing better in the world than saying " I made it" when people ask "where did you get that..?!"

I'm not going to do anything with the body for a while, but I may try to make a mold from it. I wanted it for a scale trophy truck project
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

How are you coming along on your Yota? Finally got the basic shape done, check out the pics with the sanding bar and you'll see how arrow straight the flats are! All that is left to do is scribe the body lines (doors, windows, etc.) and and smooth any remaining spots and she'll be ready for the female mold.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2005, 04:32 AM   #89
Colt Python/SR9c

I am jealous of you guys.. I can barely make stick people out of clay, let alone what you guys have done. Very nice work indeed

Skip- if all goes well on your mold, how long does it take to vacuum form a body? If you start to sell them, would the price still be in the range of a lexan body now?

I understand an increase with all the work you have done and seeing as noone makes that body..Any way to get just a cab or a bed( like you can with the bruiser) seems like it could be cheaper that way..That is, if you decide to make the bodies though..

once again, very nice work to both of ya
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

Wow your model looks great clodking..! Thats outstanding work..

The last 2 nights I have been working on other projects and havent sat down to finish it up.. Most likely by the weekend..

I did however go starait to the source about vacume forming. I work with a lot of plastics in my products for other markets. And the shop that does my plastic machining, actually does 90 vac forming for big companys (like Colgate, MLB, and other huge names).. They have a guy there, John (He's quite a bit different) but really knows his sh!t.. He even has made his own body for slot cars.. and worked on some guys project that was a lexan mold of a 1/10th scale bus.. It was perfect. I got to see the mold and what it looked like and what the finished mold looked like.. They used .090" thick lexan.. Thats what I will be using.. It was way strong.!!

So I may skip the attemp of doing the vac forming here at the house, and go strait to them with a finished mold. They can pump out 30-50 a day easy and realitivly cheap.. With John there, his knowledge will make this happen very quickly, and with quality.. So he suggested this other stuff than the hydrocal that most people use as a plaster type mold... Its some crazy looking silver/chrome stuff.. actaully it uses powdered aluminium...

Either way, I have to get this body done.. I just want to do as much of it as I can, but leave the vac forming to the pros... Then I can have this body within my 60 day timer I put on my self...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Got any info on the availability of the stuff they use? If you can get any tips that may be of use let me know.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:30 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaclodking
Got any info on the availability of the stuff they use? If you can get any tips that may be of use let me know.

When I talked with the vac forming manager there he has everything, or a # to call for anything.. I was on my lunch hour so I didnt have the time for small details.. Also we decided that I would get my clay mold done, and bring it in so he can give me the tips to make this work the first time.. Also it looks like I am gonna have these guys do the dirty work for me and so I need to adapt my mold to their vac forming machine.. So when I head down there again I will take notes and get all the info on the stuff to use and how to get it..

On a side note.. I saw a body there that they did in 3 different thicknesses. A .035", .060" and .090" thickness and the .090" was super strong and the smooth areas came out very nice.. The mold that this bus body came off of wasnt even as smooth as mine or yours and the use of the thicker lexan didnt show the imperfections nearly as much.. Thats another reason I am going with the .090" thick lexan..
Old 12-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
I am jealous of you guys.. I can barely make stick people out of clay, let alone what you guys have done. Very nice work indeed

Skip- if all goes well on your mold, how long does it take to vacuum form a body? If you start to sell them, would the price still be in the range of a lexan body now?

I understand an increase with all the work you have done and seeing as noone makes that body..Any way to get just a cab or a bed( like you can with the bruiser) seems like it could be cheaper that way..That is, if you decide to make the bodies though..

once again, very nice work to both of ya

Seriously I cant do anything with clay.. I never knew I could get this far.. I just tried. I do plan on selling the bodies.. I think there is a few people that would want them...

I really would like to make a bed and a body.. but then I am doing 2 molds and 2 vac formings.. Thats twice the cost.. So it may not be untill I do it myself that thats an opption..

Vendors are asked not to discuss price in threads not in the vendor area.. So if you want a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) PM me and I will tell ya...
Old 12-15-2005, 10:24 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

.090" will be sweet. I wish my garage was 60* in Dec! It's more like 25* out there right now. I have one of those propane heaters that sounds like a friggin jet but it makes me feel kinda funny when I use it! LOL

Hey Casey you got P.M.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

He must be out in his 60* garage, LUCKY!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

I got no PM.. But I was out in the garage.. and I may have exagerated.. Its 55 degrees.. hahahaha
Old 12-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

I must have been in my garage with the propane heater on to long! LOL! I thought I sent you one, Guess not. Oh well, any progress today? I over estemated also it was 15* for the HIGH today! Thats friggin COLD! I'm gonna try to talk my wife into letting me haul some rocks into the basement,(yeah right) I was thinking about the grill and was wondering if you think it will even turn out w/ the thicker material? Maybe just make it smooth and make up some stick on one's like most bodies have.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Any progress, or are you already hiding in the basement w/ a dozen clear "Yota" bodies! LOL! How about you Clod??:?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #99
Landy mad

thaclodking I think I may be about to upset you.

I have just read this post and I remembered an article on a UK site I get on now and again.

A UK firm has started doing Land Rover bodies but in 1:10 scale for T-maxx/Savage.

Anyhow they may be of interest to you.....I'm considering the pickup version on an NN chassis and 2.2 wheels.

Links here:-

LAND ROVER BODIES

Check out the Tmaxx/Revo & Staium Truck links.
wallaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Ouch! That's a kick right in the jimmies. And they sell them right on Ebay. Get all the sharp objects out of reach.

That's OK, At least if you make them on your own. You will get the satisfaction of building it yourself from a clump of clay.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote