Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: paint matching 1:1 wrangler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #1

Default paint matching 1:1 wrangler

hey guys. My SCX10 kit will be here Thursday and i am looking for paint. i want to match my 1:1 rig with color. from jeep it is called steal blue. sort of a darker blue/gray color. its really closer to a navy blue/gray color. i was thinking of just a thin coat of blue and then backing it with gray and then black. but not so sure how that will turn out. and i cant find a navy blue. dont have an airbrush so it will have to be rattle can. thanks.
C1ph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #2

Default Re: paint matching 1:1 wrangler

google is my friend. just after posting i found this. Tamiya America Item #89925 | PS Dark Blue - 100ml Spray Can it is still more blue than gray but much closer. maybe a thin coat of this backed with gray then black would do the trick.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Use a Preval Sprayer to mix and spray your paint color. Just make sure you have enough in the first batch unless you measure your mixture and can duplicate it. I used this to match the "Bright Pewter" color of my Durango with Lexan paints a long time ago. I mixed two colors and added flake. Worked great and still looks good.

I just sprayed the Lexan paints into the jar along with the flake and stirred them if I remember correctly.

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Most body shop paint supply stores can mix any color you want into a rattle can. The one I use Premier paints, will even do lexan paint mixing so it works just like the tamiya paints. No worries about it flaking or cracking etc etc. I'd check out your local area and see if one around you can mix one for you.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

To spray it you can use an Airbrush, Prevail (Basicly an airbrush with no air hose) or a reusable aerosol can.

You dont have to use lexan paint... You can take the paint code from your 1:1 and have it mixed at at most supply places as previously said. I usually get a half pint. (It can also be used to touch up nicks, stone chips on your 1:1 later on)

I've been using dupont, house of kolor, hot hues, paints on bodies for years, I Start by sand blasting the inside with either a spot blaster or put it in a blast cabinet. This will etch it and the paint does stick and will not peel off. Sanding it with sand paper works also but only if your painting it with a solid color. If you sand it and paint it with a metalic the over spray will stick in the sand lines and will look like stripes when your done.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #6

thanks for the advice guys. however i got a little anxious and already ordered the tamiya from them. i'll tuck this away for future reference.

thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

well i shouldnt have been so impatient. after spending a lot more for paint then i should have direct from tamiya, and spending tons of time prepping my new body, and anyone who has done the new axial wrangler rubicon body knows how involved it is, i have a dark bluish/purplish jeep. sooo word to the wise, if you want dark blue, dont get the tamiya dark blue. its almost dark purple. way more purple than blue.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just in case you need to match an automotive color in the future try going to your local auto parts store most carry DUPLI-COLOR paints they match pretty well and with the right prep they will work on lexan bodies
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

Thanks. Next time ill b more careful. I was just so anxious I couldn't wait.

paint matching 1:1 wrangler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mgauger's Matching Skins Krawler Konceptz General Crawlers 7 09-20-2012 07:30 PM
Matching Unmatched Motors Colgout Electronics 2 05-30-2012 06:12 PM
my matching jeeps jesse102 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 11-14-2011 01:01 PM
tx/rx matching camobob Electronics 6 06-29-2010 09:12 PM
New Matching Paint jobs for Nats Just Zach Paint and Body 3 09-04-2007 11:58 AM