Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: masking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Default masking

hey everyone I was just in the process of masking a body to paint. Basically I'm painting the body Orange and the bumber, fender flares, sideskirt, etc some various bits Black.

I was basically just masking off the body to paint all the other stuff black when it dawned on me that I am wasting my time? Could I just paint the whole darn thing Orange then go back and paint the bits Black that I want? It's not like Orange is going to show through Black once it's dark enough yeah? I guess what I'm saying is Mask off the headlights etc...or everything I don't want ANY paint on, paint orange, then paint whatever black I want. I'm a huge painting noob so sorry if this seems really stupid haha.

I'm basically making this thing. For the other black stuff on the body like near G4 challenge and the other black design I was just going to paint that over top of the orange as well once done.

naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: masking

If you're doing lexan that you paint on the inside, you mask the things you don't want the minor color (so in your case the things you want black). Then you spray it orange, peel off the masking, and spray everything black. The black backs the orange nicely.

Now, if it's a hard body and you are painting on the outside, I like to paint the black stuff first. Then, let it dry for a while and once dried (usually a day) I'll mask over what I don't want orange and hit the body with the orange. When you peel off the masking, you'll have nice sharp lines from the masking tape. Try to pick up some of the thin tape at the hobby shop. Tamiya makes some nice 3,6, and 9 mm tape that I use all the time and it makes great edges.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

yeah this is a hard body that I am making. It's from a toy grade RC that I tore the body off. It's an LR3 as pictured above. I think I will just mask off all the windows and lights and whatever else I don't want any paint on. Blast it with Orange without masking the sideskirts, bumper, etc. Once the Orange is dry I will mask off to paint the fenders, sideskirts etc Black. It seems like a bunch of unnecessary masking to first mask the body/windows to paint the bumpers etc black, then mask off the bumpers etc to paint the body orange. The orange isn't going to show through the black anyway so what is the point, right?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #4

OH I see what you mean.

I did what you suggested. I painted the black stuff. I'm waiting for it to dry. Probably take a heat gun to it in a bit on low and try to dry it faster so I can get a second coat on it. Looks so much better already haha. Can't wait till the orange goes on! I'll post some pics.

I ordered a Proline roof rack too. Can't wait til I get that. Not sure where I will find the Canoe and the Bicycle. Maybe I'll go to this Toy shop a town over which has all kinds of unique toys and find something there. I know they have a lot of Playmobil.

masking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New take on masking... conklinator Paint and Body 6 08-27-2012 04:07 AM
masking decals silvermag Paint and Body 1 06-02-2010 04:39 AM
how to: masking help BigBoss Paint and Body 5 11-13-2008 08:45 PM
Masking off... NoobCrawler Paint and Body 8 02-12-2008 10:49 PM
Masking tape... BagoXCAlum Chit Chat 7 05-22-2006 09:06 PM