Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: First time painting a lexan shell, advice please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Default First time painting a lexan shell, advice please!

I will shortly be painting my scx10 lexan shell, and have a few questions.

I have done a lot of reading with regards to preping the shell, watched many youtube video's etc, and I think I am even more confused! Giving the shell a good clean is a given, however some people say that you need to scuff the shell, then clean again, whilst others say it isnt necessary, and to just to many light dusting coats to build up coverage.

If you were to paint a shell today, which method would you use?

I am also looking to have a metallic finish with my paint, however the colour I want isnt a metallic (Tamiya copper ps-14). I vaguely recall reading somewhere of a metallic pre-coat that could be applied before the colour to give a similar effect, but I cant seem to fnd it. Any idea's?

I dont have an airbrush, and paints other than Tamiya are not readily accessable to me, so I need to stick with that range if at all possible.
clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First time painting a lexan shell, advice please!

The Tamiya Copper does have a metallic look to it, unless you're looking for a super metal flake like you'd see on fiberglass bass boat or old school dune buggy.

I have done a few custom metallic looks with transparent colors and a silver or black backer. Just spray with a trans color(mixing them can make an exotic color), followed by a metallic spray, and backed with either black or silver. I think Tamiya has a metallic spray...it's PS-58 Pearl Clear. If you spray the metallic first and then follow with your color, it will make it a pearl like color.

Hope that makes sense.

Thoroughly washing the body is a must, to remove traces of the release agent. As for scuffing, I think it helps but it can show through when metallic colors are used, unless you use 800 or 1000 to just "fog" the body. Be careful not to bump your window areas if you're going to have clear windows.

I like to cut, trim, sand, drill, etc...before I paint. It will prevent possible paint marring while you are cutting out wheel wells and bumper areas. I did it once, after a lot of custom paint work, and my scissors scratched through the paint. It's very frustrating when that happens. Also, any areas that might have rubbing on the inside, just use a layer of clear packing tape or the fiber reinforced packing tape or even duck tape to keep the paint from rubbing off.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of your paint work.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Default Re: First time painting a lexan shell, advice please!

Thanks for the advice.

I dont need to worry about the window area's as such with my shell, it's the g6, and I'm not even certain I will be using the windscreen at this point! I kinda like how it looks without it.

I have already cut it out, I just have some final trimming and smoothing of edges to do before I can paint, but I'm close!

Will post up how it turns out when I am done!
clueless is offline   Reply With Quote

First time painting a lexan shell, advice please! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lexan shell project. Too ambitious? Syncrog60 Paint and Body 1 02-14-2012 03:08 PM
Painting lexan? run2jeepn Paint and Body 29 06-26-2011 07:25 PM
Painting outside of lexan? Toyotawheeler Paint and Body 9 05-19-2008 08:22 PM
My first lexan shell... (not a crawler, but still cool) JavelinSST390 Paint and Body 5 03-11-2008 10:31 PM