Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: New project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New project

Huh...

I can see all three pics with the kick-ass bed treatment...

Sweet grille!

So - you gotta detail the sidepipes next.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the heads up durok.

Not sure what’s going on Jato, Danza. Maybe refresh the page in your browser so it’s not pulling from the cache?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #23
Go Buckeyes!

Sweet looking rig mewalsh!

I remember seeing this rig at my LHS a couple years ago and almost picked it up.

Cool mods so far! Mesh grill looks great!

Oh and I can see all the pics too!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #24
Gold Star Baby!

It must be cookie issue or something, I can see the pics when I view from the laptop.

Bed looks much better, the more I look at the old fuel cell the more it stands out like a sore thumb. Nicely done Walsh! Grill looks killer too. Let us know how it holds up to the abuse.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #25

Odd. I can't see those photos on my phone, home PC or work PC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Hey Brian - Hope all is well!

Strange all around on some of you not being able to see those images. There were about 2-3 hrs yesterday evening that I couldn't access this site at all.

Anyway, I got some laps in with the old Baja Bug body on today. I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with this little rig. For a 2wd, it just plain hooks up! It will drift the back around corners a bit when you tune down the stability control, but with it maxed out, it's almost impossible to put a wheel wrong. The other thing that makes me grin is how it lofts the front end a bit coming out of corners and hooking up. Just a hoot to drive so far. IDK - I figured for $299 it'd be hard to go wrong, and I'm pretty sure I was right.

I didn't run the wheels pictured. I ended up running a set of DuraTrax SC HookUps that I had laying around. I did have to re-drill some front body holes versus the Traxxas Rally the bug was on, but nothing a couple strategically placed stickers didn't fix!
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
For a 2wd, it just plain hooks up! It will drift the back around corners a bit when you tune down the stability control, but with it maxed out, it's almost impossible to put a wheel wrong.
I forgot it has the AVC or whatever they call it, I just yanked it out before I even tried it. I think it was my inner car guy telling myself I dont need any stinking driving aids (which is likely false).

It still drives pretty good without it, I've driven 2WD Slash's that were much harder to control.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
...I got some laps in with the old Baja Bug body on today. I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with this little rig. For a 2wd, it just plain hooks up! It will drift the back around corners a bit when you tune down the stability control, but with it maxed out, it's almost impossible to put a wheel wrong. The other thing that makes me grin is how it lofts the front end a bit coming out of corners and hooking up. Just a hoot to drive so far. IDK - I figured for $299 it'd be hard to go wrong, and I'm pretty sure I was right.
Looks great with the Baja Bug body and the gold/silver beadlocks! Although I did like the truck body after your mods, looks like old dirt flat tracker. I'd also turn off the AVC. BTW, I'd start with 5k diff fluid, too thick becomes unmanageable in the turns.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looks great with the Baja Bug body and the gold/silver beadlocks! Although I did like the truck body after your mods, looks like old dirt flat tracker. I'd also turn off the AVC. BTW, I'd start with 5k diff fluid, too thick becomes unmanageable in the turns.

I agree guys, my first instinct was to turn it off / all the way down, which is what I did to start. Then, for grins and giggles, I began to creep it up. I'm not sure where I'll end up leaving it set at, but there's no doubt it freak'n works as a driving aid.

I'm still working on and making mods to the truck body and that's pretty much the look I was going for Nate! I've got a couple more ideas. I've got to do some experimenting to see if they're gonna be practical / hold up.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #30

That Bug body is awesome!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Jato!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Got some more work done on the Rat last night. Shot the body in Satin Black and kept some weathering on the hood and roof.

I also wanted to bring in a bit more of the stainless mesh, so I made some cut-outs on both sides of the nose of the body and gave them the same treatment as the grill.

Fuel cell is now secured to the new rear deck lid, and it received a nice, fresh coat of fire engine red and then some silver hand detailing.

Roll cage is secured, and I gave it a quick shot of silver so it would pop from within the black interior.

Still have more to do, but I'm liking where it's headed. @durok had mentioned detailing out the side pipes. I'd like to do that, the only issue I see is that they really don't have a good end point, or exhaust exit. They just kind of blend in to the rockers. I've gotta look at it a while longer and see if I can come up with something. I'm thinking flat white with some rust / weathering If i do them up.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #33
Go Buckeyes!

Man, that looks bada$$! Love the dull black with the mesh accents!

Wheel and tire combo looks awesome!

Now I'm definitely starting to reconsider which rig to get next!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Man, that looks bada$$! Love the dull black with the mesh accents!

Wheel and tire combo looks awesome!

Now I'm definitely starting to reconsider which rig to get next!

Thanks Brian! It's definitely a fun little truck. I need to go down to a 16T pinion running 3S. 18 is stock, but I noticed the motor getting a little hot the other day.

It handles way better than I would have thought too. Like I said, hard to go wrong for $299.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Looks seriously wicked, and will be fun down the road when you wear out the tires and are looking for replacements - could try the white letter Hoosiers from Proline:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Those would look killer durok!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Got the light buckets and lights re-installed, added a bit of yellow tint to the headlamps, then added a couple behind the grill. Still kickin around ideas on how to do up the side pipes and not have them look hokey.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Maybe just cut the pipes at the collecter, glue a short length of tube in there, and put a red led inside?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Maybe just cut the pipes at the collecter, glue a short length of tube in there, and put a red led inside?

I was thinking something similar. Might try the plastic coat hanger method. I'm just afraid it won't hold up real well while running.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #40
Slow is the new Fast

I have no idea which scb that is, but it sure looks cool mewalsh. Both bodies look great, though I gotta say the Rat Rod with the silver beadlocks and bed cover is really slick. I am completely jealous that you have a short course in your back yard, that would be a blast!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

New project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt Prime Axial SCX-10 211 01-07-2017 09:53 AM