Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Using backer to get stripes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Using backer to get stripes

Just getting back into the hobby.

I ordered a TRX4 kit, looking forward to the build and tinkering.

Painting, I'm thinking of doing a metallic green, but would like a subtle pattern. I'm thinking of doing the whole body in the green, then masking and using bright silver and black in different areas to get a subtle pattern (stripe chevron etc). Will this work or will it not be noticeable?

Looking for input before I order paint.

Thanks
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Using backer to get stripes

How about purple, with pink polka dots? Or red, blue, and white plaid? Just kidding.

Honestly, I kind of like your idea. If I were to take a guess, I'm guessing you're looking to achieve some sort of "splotchy" appearance. If so, regarding the green, you probably want to go with a metallic on the somewhat darker side. As for the "backing" colors, you might consider adding a third (besides the black & silver) color - a solid (non-metallic) mid-to-dark green.

For what I'm about to suggest, I would highly recommend getting a flat piece of lexan, or something else that is clear, that you can do a "test" on. Start by doing several (say, 3-6) light layers of the metallic green, changing the direction that you're spraying from with each layer. This should produce even coverage, yet still maintaining the color's translucency. Next, spray several "splotches" of the black in various locations throughout the inside. After that, do the same thing with the silver, and then again with the solid green. Once you've achieved the effects you were looking for, spray the entire interior with a couple layers of white (which should really help the silver & solid green backing "pop". Finally, spray two final coats (changing directions between coats) with black.

If the end-results of what I'm visualizing in my head matches the process I just described, it should look quite good. I was just trying to visualize it in my head using other metallic colors (red, blue, orange, etc), and none of them visualized as well as green (although, a deep orange could, potentially, come close).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #3

Appreciate the reply.

I was more thinking of adding stripes, or door insets/ hood accent. But was thinking a more ghosted look (think ghost flames).

I plan on testing on a 2lt bottle, but got the idea from this picture. The guy laid a metallic blue, then used tape masks to separate the backer paint, made nice distinct lines of different color.

I want to do the same thing with simple line shapes on my truck (keep it simple s..... for my first try)

picture not showing, but you can see it in this youtube video at 5:26

Last edited by Bowtie76; 05-29-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Got ya. Rich does a good job. You should REALLY check out this video he did 4-5 years ago...it's even more informative, and will probably give an even better idea of what you want to do:

https://youtu.be/jzAednzmklg

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a plan. Difference will be visible through the metallic green for sure!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #6

Ok, well, I finally received all the paint I ordered. So first thing was to make some tests to see how this would all look. The three samples has a base of Metalic green, then I layed on backing of green, silver, bright gunmetal, gunmetal, and black. The top sample has them sprayed on in that order (left to right) the other two I mixed up to see different colors next to each other.

I decided to use a combo of the silver, bright gun metal, and gunmetal for my crawler.

Last edited by Bowtie76; 06-06-2022 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Trying to host pic from gDrive
Old 06-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #7

Final result..... I like it. The differences were very subtle, but it plays with the eyes as far as the shade of green.

The top/flat portion of the hood was backed with the gunmetal

The "U" shaped edge of the hood was backed with silver

The front fenders/door/cab were backed with bright gunmetal

and the bottom door back (angled stripe) were backed with silver.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

One thing I noticed is that the differences disappear in the shade.

And also there is almost more difference in color from the different angles of the body than from the backing color, you can see the side color line on the door but since it crosses into the bed at the crease line you often can't see the color change on the bed.

Honestly it is a cool effect, I look at it and sometimes I have a hard time identifying if the color is due to the backing or the body crease/sun angle.

Overall I'm happy. First RC car I have built and painted since the mid 80's

Old 06-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #9

a few more gratuitous shots.

Love the Tonka in the background
Old 06-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think that turned out great man!!!

I would be afraid that taping on top of the first layers of green, would result in the tape peeling off the paint.
What tape did you use for masking?
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
I think that turned out great man!!!

I would be afraid that taping on top of the first layers of green, would result in the tape peeling off the paint.
What tape did you use for masking?
Thank you, I had fun building and painting.

For tape I just used regular blue 3M painters tape. I sprayed the green then let that cure overnight and did the masking/painting the following day.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76 View Post
For tape I just used regular blue 3M painters tape. I sprayed the green then let that cure overnight and did the masking/painting the following day.
Awesome, thank you
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:27 AM   #13

That looks great man, I was thinking of doing something similar, but in orange like panther was saying. Great samples you sprayed out to show difference in shades with different backing colors.
pmack99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Using backer to get stripes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backer for a backer? Kingmeow Paint and Body 2 11-20-2020 11:53 AM
Backer Color on Orange Maxxamillion Paint and Body 9 02-14-2020 10:54 AM
Backer for orange? skybolt Paint and Body 12 04-23-2019 04:44 AM
Spaztix Backer? BrianP Paint and Body 3 10-14-2011 06:07 PM
Painting question - black backer coat whanzich Paint and Body 8 09-20-2009 04:51 PM