Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: 3d printing bodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #1

Default 3d printing bodies

I have been wanting to 3d print a body for a upcoming build but i am not sure what material would be best suited for the job. We frequently camp in the summer and the rc's tend to stay in the trailer between trips unless repairs are needed and im afraid if i leave a printed body it would get to warm and melt. Any recommendations?
godwnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2023, 11:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3d printing bodies

ABS, PETG would be my best education guess.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwnlo View Post
I have been wanting to 3d print a body for a upcoming build but i am not sure what material would be best suited for the job. We frequently camp in the summer and the rc's tend to stay in the trailer between trips unless repairs are needed and im afraid if i leave a printed body it would get to warm and melt. Any recommendations?
Not really... 180*C is where PLA starts to melt, and the rest of the filaments need hotter temps to melt.

PLA isn't a terrible option for printing, but it can be brittle, and will be more-so with UV exposure. At the very least you will want to paint the body to protect it, and most likely use filler to sand out the print lines.

PETG is a great option, it is a bit more durable than PLA, and a bit more UV resistant. But, to do the body justice, you will still want to fill, sand and paint.

ABS works really well for bodies. Again, to get the print lines gone, fill, sand and paint. For most sub $2k printers, ABS is finicky to print with due to warping. Plus, you need good ventilation, ABS produces a good amount of fumage when printing.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwnlo View Post
… if i leave a printed body it would get to warm and melt.
Melt, not really, but deform yes it can. That could turn into natural weathering or “body damage” changes which is pretty cool. You could also anneal pla and make it a bit stronger and smoother.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

PETG is probable the easiest, ABS the best .....dont forget that printed bodies are heavy as f..k ;)
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
PETG is probable the easiest, ABS the best .....dont forget that printed bodies are heavy as f..k ;)
To get a good amount of support you have to go kind of think on the printing. The weight can be a good thing, if your rig is set up for it, but it can also test your motor and drive train.

I was wondering if a vase-print body would work... Attachement points would needed to be beef up, and it would be crazy flexible. I am guessing it would not last more than a couple of packs with minimal abuse.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Not really... 180*C is where PLA starts to melt, and the rest of the filaments need hotter temps to melt.

PLA isn't a terrible option for printing, but it can be brittle, and will be more-so with UV exposure. At the very least you will want to paint the body to protect it, and most likely use filler to sand out the print lines.

PETG is a great option, it is a bit more durable than PLA, and a bit more UV resistant. But, to do the body justice, you will still want to fill, sand and paint.

ABS works really well for bodies. Again, to get the print lines gone, fill, sand and paint. For most sub $2k printers, ABS is finicky to print with due to warping. Plus, you need good ventilation, ABS produces a good amount of fumage when printing.
Pla is far from brittle if you get the right kind and dry it before printing. Uv issues are minimal to non-existant in rc unless you leave it sitting in the son all day long all summer long. But upside to printing, print another one when body runs out.

Petg is really difficult to get a brand/type that isn't extremely brittle (almost no impact resistance)

So far of 10 brands of petg I've found one that's not garbage for RC use. Explodes on impact.

For pla, well more specifically, PLA+/PRO/Tough I have found multiple brands that can take a beating and come back for more.

Petg with the right type and design, is good for when you need black if summer's get hot where you are. Pla dark colors tend to soften in the sun over about 90F. End up warping and such.

Beyond that, PLA is a far better choice for RC than PETG could hope to be now. I have 4 rigs, 3 with printed bodies now. All in pla. First test was done in petg, ya that started falling apart due to cracks after second roll over. Decent tumble and spent 10 minutes picking up parts.

Reprinted body in Tough PLA, I can't hurt it so I have an excuse to reprint it because it was printed fast and not dialed in for a clean print.

Second rig is rather heavy, tumbled and slid several times when out, no body damage at all.

Now my vanquish build will have a printed body as well.

Also have printed cages, one I just did was a cliffhanger cage for someone. Can twist and bend it all you want, good luck breaking it. Printed in PLA.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tigris99; 03-25-2023 at 12:11 AM.
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

tigris99 covered it all there. I've had no heat or durability issues with PLA printed bodies either. Post print work completely sucks for me though, I hate sanding.
Devwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:11 AM   #9

thanks for all the great info guys i guess i will try starting with a pla body and see how things go i just didnt want to go through all the time and labor of printing and all the body work jsut to have it soften and warp right away
godwnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Pla is far from brittle if you get the right kind and dry it before printing. Uv issues are minimal to non-existant in rc unless you leave it sitting in the son all day long all summer long. But upside to printing, print another one when body runs out.

Petg is really difficult to get a brand/type that isn't extremely brittle (almost no impact resistance)

So far of 10 brands of petg I've found one that's not garbage for RC use. Explodes on impact.

For pla, well more specifically, PLA+/PRO/Tough I have found multiple brands that can take a beating and come back for more.

Petg with the right type and design, is good for when you need black if summer's get hot where you are. Pla dark colors tend to soften in the sun over about 90F. End up warping and such.

Beyond that, PLA is a far better choice for RC than PETG could hope to be now. I have 4 rigs, 3 with printed bodies now. All in pla. First test was done in petg, ya that started falling apart due to cracks after second roll over. Decent tumble and spent 10 minutes picking up parts.

Reprinted body in Tough PLA, I can't hurt it so I have an excuse to reprint it because it was printed fast and not dialed in for a clean print.

Second rig is rather heavy, tumbled and slid several times when out, no body damage at all.

Now my vanquish build will have a printed body as well.

Also have printed cages, one I just did was a cliffhanger cage for someone. Can twist and bend it all you want, good luck breaking it. Printed in PLA.

Where can I get my hands on that file for the second one??!!
xxlostonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlostonexx View Post
Where can I get my hands on that file for the second one??!!
My personal design based off a 2006 Hilux cab.

tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printing bodies - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D printing Jburd65 Scale Accessories 6 06-18-2020 10:58 PM
3d Printing Help MaX-D Paint and Body 0 12-10-2019 04:41 PM
3d Printing losikid Tools, and Procedures 12 11-08-2010 12:21 PM