Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Rally Course Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Rally Course Ideas

I've been starting to think about building a race course pretty seriously.

I have 3 boys, ages 2-7 so I get to pick the class but the downside of that is everyone is sponsered by Team Dad. So cost was a factor. with the age of my kids, brushless, lipo short course scud missles didn't sound like a great idea. I like kits better than RTR, wanted to get the same thing x 4 so that parts could be interchanged and I like scale.

I've pestered Turtle with questions & decided on the Tamiya DF03ra as the chassis for my class. It's kit, reasonably affordable, not wicked fast, scale & going with a rally course should make 15mph fun.

I've started a Rally/DF03ra page on my web site.

So... on to course design & ideas.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rally Course Ideas

It seems like there are two modes of RC rally.

The first is the chase style as in this monkey racing video.

The second would be where you can see the entire course from one point as in the Colorado Rally Championship video.

I'm thinking I'd like to have the option for both. Have a course that can be seen from one vantage point & then some alternative routes through the woods & use barriers to route the course. that will also allow me to reroute it & keep it interesting.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

By the way, the monkey racing stuff is wicked. If you don't want to get into rally, don't watch this video:

RC RALLY - Ice&Snow RallyCross 2 - YouTube
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I was thinking of a big area in the backyard. It is fairly large, sort of gently rolling and seemed idea but I just couldn't visualize it. I think it would be a good area for 1/8 or 1/5 scale SC track but just not enough deviation in the terrain for rally.

So, here is what I'm working with. This is in my front yard. My Scale crawling park is on the left. the narrow strip of grass could be one leg of the rally course.

I could make the course overlap with the crawler park & have the rally cars go under the bridge on the right. I've added sand to the rock course for scale trucks & this allows me to make it as smooth as it needs to be.

Then I have a woods section. I acctually cleared this out last winter thinking it might work into a rally course.

This is an area between the woods section and the crawler park. I could landscape this area with mini trees but I need to be able to back a 1:1 truck up to the barn so... gotta work around that.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 04-26-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Man, first I love all of your ORV park scale truck stuff and now you are adding a rally course, My 6 yr old son and I moving in next door, where do you live? LOL!
RockEd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockEd out View Post
Man, first I love all of your ORV park scale truck stuff and now you are adding a rally course, My 6 yr old son and I moving in next door, where do you live? LOL!
I thought you were already in paradise? Thanks... & if you can get my neigbors to move out, I would love to have new ones who, like, maybe cut their grass more than once a year??? Or pick up the old diapers that have been spread through their yard since last fall by their mangy dogs...
Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
I thought you were already in paradise? Thanks... & if you can get my neigbors to move out, I would love to have new ones who, like, maybe cut their grass more than once a year??? Or pick up the old diapers that have been spread through their yard since last fall by their mangy dogs...
I do live in Paradise but it sounds like you might be closer to Heaven! As far as the lawn goes, no more diapers, youngest is 6, and my wife mows the lawn, she gets the rider, while I get the weed wacker!
RockEd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockEd out View Post
I do live in Paradise but it sounds like you might be closer to Heaven! As far as the lawn goes, no more diapers, youngest is 6, and my wife mows the lawn, she gets the rider, while I get the weed wacker!
Sounds good! Now I just need to get my current neighbor to vacate...

Rally Course Ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rallypro Amsterdam Rallysprint Rally 2010 rally video EeePee Chit Chat 63 05-16-2014 08:23 AM
RC Rally CREEPINKING South Carolina 7 04-25-2011 12:56 AM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM
Greek Acropolis Rally (WRC Rally) FJONES007 Outside the US 1 07-16-2009 06:24 AM