Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Tale of Two TT-02s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tale of Two TT-02s

Back in November I bought my son a TT-02, and I have come to realize that driving my brushless WR8 next to his brushed Tamiya is like taking a gun to a knife fight. So, to even the scales a bit, I've decided that I needed a TT-02 as well. Well, I first decided on a XV-01, but thinking that that also wouldn't be fair, I pulled the trigger on a TT-02 Type S when I found the right deal on fleabay.

Now, I know what you're thinking, a Type S is almost a completely different car that a regular TT-02. Well, yeah, it is quite an upgrade over the stock kit, so I'll be upgrading my boy's car once the parts are released from the mothership.

A little bit about the TT-02 already in the stable.
- Fast Eddy sealed bearings
- Traxxas short Big Bore Shocks
- Front CVDs + drive cups
- HPI brushless power
- Suspension modded for rally (off-site link)

And some pics of my son's car

While I am waiting for the new chassis to arrive, I have looked into some options to beef up the diffs. Apparently, DF02 metal-gear diffs will just drop right in, but they are made of unobtainium, so I'll probably be going with either 3Racing or Tamiya one-way diffs in the front and open ball diffs from either in the rear. The idea is to get them to the point where they will withstand 5000KV power on 3S.

Last edited by pixelnate; 05-09-2015 at 09:52 AM.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tale of Two TT-02s

[reserved for pics]
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I added a Yeah Racing steering kit to my son's TT-02 while I wait for my Type S (and a bunch of goodies from RC Mart) to arrive from Chiner. It'll also be getting one of these steering kits.

Steering is much better now. There is still a little binding in the steering, but that should disappear once I get some better links on the car.

And here's a shot of the spacers used to get the added suspension movement to get it up to rally height (just a little out of focus).

That's all for now. Hopefully, I'll have pics of the new chassis soon.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Some of the parts for my TT-02 have come in from China: propeller shaft, titanium screws, Tamiya high speed gears, motor mount, front one-way diff, and rear ball diff. Now, if I could just get the freaking chassis from the fleabay vendor ( ), I'd be in business.

This is going to be the baddest rally TT-02 Type S you can build. Just don't tell my wife how much I am spending on this thing.

Body came in as well. It's nothing special, but at least it's got light buckets for some night racing in the back yard.

More to come on my son's TT-02 coming soon. Sorting out some issues right now.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well, some of my son's parts have arrived. A nice little suspension makeover for that cheap arse setup that Tamiya shipped with this, otherwise impressive, chassis.

I tested the current setup with the the Flux Reload + Flux Shot 4300KV from my WR8. Even on 2S it screams. That darned thing was doing traction rolls all over the place. Can't wait to try it with these bits installed.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Very cool. I've had my tt01 for a long time.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Where did you get the plastic suspension set?
smokinloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, it's been a while, but I've finally gotten some time to work on these cars again. I completed the Eagle install on my son's car and added the oil dampers from my TT-02D along with some other parts (aluminum propeller shaft and joints, front ball diff, hip wheels, Chinese rally tires) and that thing is a hoot. I almost wish I'd gone that route on mine. For less than the price of a stock XV-01, he's got a car that I'm convinced would hang with with just about any rally chassis.

My son was running it this morning and broke the ball end on the back left camber link. Already bought some spares on fleabay.

My TT-02D is assembled and just about ready to go. I discovered some front (XV-01) universals that I had bought earlier so I'm going to be installing those shortly. This will give me some time to trim the suspension arm and knuckle carrier to try and get a little more travel in the front. It has great compression by default, but I need more extension to run it as a rally car.

I'll be updating more frequently now that I have the time to work on these little beasties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Are you on the san antonio crawlers fb group? We just started a rally group as well san antonio rc rally.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That's the best news I've heard all day! Not a big fan of FaceBag, but I'll definitely sign in to check it out. Where do they/you normally go?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

For crawling we go all over. The rally group is very new and not really started up just a few people with cars now and more interested.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Right on. I've been out to Nacogdoches and Evans a few times before I took my trucks apart, and will again soon. Looking forward to getting the cars race ready and finding new places to drive.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
RCC Addict

We go there alot i live like 10 min from there but currently its a river with all the rain. Theres a little spot for rally action i found at judson and lookout under the bridge. I posted a map on the fb rally page. Maybe well see ya out there on the trails or rallying once it gets going

Tale of Two TT-02s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tale of 2 Wraiths OSRC Axial Wraith 15 08-11-2013 07:32 AM
There and back again, a tale of a heart and a hospital neillarson Illinois 2 05-06-2011 06:07 PM
the tale of 2 jeeps - honcho builds - xj and mj aircruiser Axial SCX-10 32 04-05-2011 06:48 PM
A Guys Fairy Tale Krawler Konceptz Chit Chat 14 07-15-2010 02:39 PM
The tale of a super... RXcrawler Superclass Crawlers 73 04-13-2010 06:41 PM