Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Offroader5's Havoc Bully Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Default Offroader5's Havoc Bully Build

Got started on it this weekend. Don't really have a whole lot accomplished yet...but there's enough to get the thread started I suppose.

One thing about it already is how wide it is. Due to being a shafty, I have the trans/motor/dig assembly that I need to stuff in between the chassis plates. I needed to use a wider skid plate...so instead of making one..I took the easy way out and used the HR skid meant for an AX. :-P

I had some issues with it being so wide and getting the chassis in the correct orientation and ground clearance...but after trying several different shock setups (I have what seems to be an enormous collection of shocks )...this is what I ended up with. I'll have to wait till it's maiden voyage to tell if the chassis width will become an issue or not.

I'm using my favorite set of shocks...the Proline Powerstrokes in a half droop setup. They are 115mm fully extended, but using only a main spring and no tender (they come as a dual rate), they sit static at about 88mm. With them set up like this, I have about 15mm of compression & 26mm of extension available from static. Should work well with the torsion front.

The front toelinks for the torsion connection are 70mm. I'm waiting on some high clearance lower links before I go any further. I want to get them installed before I make the uppers.

I will be building this rig almost at the same time as my mini-clod...and they are going to be "negatives" of each other...and I have a cool idea for the bodies based on that Might have to enlist the help of a painting professional for what I'm thinking though...especially after seeing how badass Kami's bodies turned out.

Here's a couple other tidbits:
MM ESC
Castle BEC
HH Puller 7T
DNA dig
5955TG (steering)
5645MG (dig...overkill I know)
Lot's of little upgrades I am forgetting...

BTW...please forgive the pics this go-round...I was too lazy to clean off the whole bench just to set up the lightbox :-P

Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. I'll be watching this.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thats a Nice start? Are your Front 70mm Links mounted on the inside of the chassis or outside?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Thats a Nice start? Are your Front 70mm Links mounted on the inside of the chassis or outside?
They are on the inside. I figured they'd be better off matching the shocks in the rear. Oh, and those weak looking toelinks are going to go away. I'll be remaking those from black acetal and Revos...same procedure that the uppers will be.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Are your Front 70mm Links mounted on the inside of the chassis or outside?
70mm?! Mine are only 55mm.

Love the havoc on a shafty!
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
70mm?! Mine are only 55mm.

Love the havoc on a shafty!
But yours are also mounted just a bit higher on the axle with the Bully's :-P
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Very cool John!! I will be intersted to watch this as well as your miniclod. I am waiting for a chassis right now for my miniclod.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm interested in see how it works all out. I designed the Chassis's for MOA's, but set it up where the Common Ax-10 Skid would built right up.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Any updates?

Also why isn't this in the Ax-10 section?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Any updates?

Also why isn't this in the Ax-10 section?
Nothing further yet. Waiting on a set of lower links so I can make the uppers...and I'm still debating and taking forever to decide...on a couple more parts to finish 'er up.

I just posted it up in General...but I guess it could have gone in Axial. If a mod wants to move it...I won't be too upset
Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Small update...

I will soon be asking a mod to change the title of this thread.

The Axials are getting ditched from this project and a new set of Bully's are going to be used instead. I think I'll be much happier overall with this rig by running the MOA's.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I think you'll be a happier that with your new axles and this chassis. Still, I would have liked to see how your build would have went had you stuck with shafted axles.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Small update...

I will soon be asking a mod to change the title of this thread.

The Axials are getting ditched from this project and a new set of Bully's are going to be used instead. I think I'll be much happier overall with this rig by running the MOA's.
Damn now ill have to start another one and make a shafty. You will like the bullies though. Once the Ti shafts are released they will be indestructable! Post up if you have any questions on them.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Here's an update. Like I said before, I ditched the Axials and decided on Bullys. These axlea are sweet, and I think will work much better on this rig.

Took alot of playing around with different rod ends, different length bent and straight links, and different shock/toe link lengths to get it all working and fitting right. Ended up with a collection of rod ends including Revos, Jatos, and Kyoshos The toe links in the front have now been shortened to 57mm, and kept the Proline Powerstroke shocks in the rear running half droop.

I pushed the rear link mounts outward on the axle to both help with shock clearance on the axle gearbox...and to get the links around the gearbox and motor. Have just enough clearance to the tires and wheels with it like this.

The biggest problem now is the steering. As seen in the last pic...the steering throw is horrible. Not sure how to gain more unless I use wideners or a wheel with less backspacing. The links are as close to the gearbox as I can get them. The truck sits right now at 9.625" width outside the Rovers. I could afford to gain a bit of width...but I love these wheels. This only leaves me with the option of wideners. There are the Gmades that add 15mm to each side...should be enough without being too much.

Anybody else have any other options to fix the steering issue?

Last edited by Offroader5; 04-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I like the way you used the offset rod ends on the rear uppers! good thinking!!
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
I like the way you used the offset rod ends on the rear uppers! good thinking!!
They helped me get just that little bit more that I needed to clear the top of the greabox
Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
RCC Addict

On the steering the wheels will always rub a little on the bullies. With the round lowers you will be fine (with the kamikaze lowers it sounds like it has gas when it rubs, lol).

There will be some play in the lower links, twist them in the rod ends until the play will let them hit the gearboxes. This will give you a little more clearance for the front tires and more steering.

Let me go take some pictures of mine to show you.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
RCC Addict

While these are smaller tires on mine you can see where the links would be hit. Its ok if they rub a little. If you want to make some custom double bend links you can eliminate it but they will cause more problems on your triangulation than they are worth.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Looks good.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
RCC Addict

good work diggin all of offroader5's builds super cool clean building.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote