Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Spare parts UGC Viper Bully build

Specs:
UCG Viper Chassis
JP Customers upper links and front lower links
T1E Moon Buggy rear lower links
RC4WD Bullly light weight axles
-Front with R7R servo mount & high clearance steering solution and RC4WD heavy duty XVD v6, shaved steering knuckles
-Rear with Chaotic Crawler Delrin rear Bully tubes
Front wheels - VP DH Comp wheels with 3 weights with 460 hub
Rear wheels – VP SLW v3s 0.7 with a 600 hub

Pit Bull tyres
CI foams
Axial SCX10 Shocks
Losi Mini-T springs
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 45t motors
RC4WD DIG unit
Savox Servo
Tekin FX-R ESC
Futaba RX R617FS
KrawlerKonceptz skins (coming soon, based on 2010 BMW art car by Jeff Koons ran in the ELMS)

Since moving my YTC BJ over to Berg axles, my Bullys have been sat doing nothing, given the delrin rears tubes, drilled gears, light weight front tubes and R7R servo mount and with all the other bits I seem to have as spares figured I should get something built.

Wasn't sure what chassis to build on, then saw the Viper from UGC, part
aluminum, part delrin and part carbon fibre, when it arrived today, I was blown away by how good this thing looks. Built up the chassis and VERY roughly mocked up the lower links to get an idea of the look as a roller, taken it back apart now while I sort the links out for real but with everything bar the KrawlerKonceptz skins already floating in my spares box I should be ready to crawl with this real soon

Few quick shots of the chassis and the rough mock up..........

Last edited by vodka child; 04-06-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: 2x fixed broken link
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Managed to get the lower rear links bent into shape (TE1 high clearance links) and got some uppers on. The shocks in the pictures aren't the ones i plan on running - the Axial shock are broken down for a rebuild so just grabbed some which are close to the same length. The Axial are much narrower so as these juuuuust touch the gear case I should be good with the Axial shocks for clearance.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

VERY nice Vodka, VERY nice indeed.
My girl is closely watching your build, she likey likey.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The SCX10 shocks work VERY well. I just switched on my rig to the aluminum version with Mini-T springs. They definitely allow for more steering without digging into the shock. I did have to do the shock cap mod in order to get the correct length for my build....I hope that you are as happy with them as I am.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

if i recall correct ..... you had 2 beetlejuice rigs ... one on a bully and one on a berg? ....

you ditched the V3?
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
if i recall correct ..... you had 2 beetlejuice rigs ... one on a bully and one on a berg? ....

you ditched the V3?

I did have the Bullys on the V3 while I put the Bergs on a V4 chasis. The V3 ended up as a roller for about 3 weeks then i needed the space so broke it all down and put the chassis plates, skid, axles, mototrs etc into my spares box.

Some of the V3 morphed to V4 which is the rig i've spent all my time running and tweaking, love that rig.

Felt wrong to have spent the time and $$$ on the Bullys to have them just sit in a box. Having already got the V4 BJ I wanted something different, soon as I saw the Viper chassis thought it would look dead right on the Bullys, both are just beefy and tough.

Short answer though is yup the V3 chassis is no longer used, think the long version was more interesting though
Cheers
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
The SCX10 shocks work VERY well. I just switched on my rig to the aluminum version with Mini-T springs. They definitely allow for more steering without digging into the shock. I did have to do the shock cap mod in order to get the correct length for my build....I hope that you are as happy with them as I am.
That's the ones i have, the aluminum version minus the remote resevoir and running the Losi Mini-T springs. They are still in bits as i wanted to rebuild them, checking the seals, change the shock oil etc

I have some longer rods which with the rod ends I have should make sure that i'm covered length wise. Based on the mock up shocks I have on there not sure if i need to make them longer, once i've rebuilt one up i'll be able to dry fit and get a much better idea.

Loving the looks so far

http://www.autocarclassic.com/wp-con...de-580x386.jpg
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

This is the car that the skins KrawlerKonceptz is working on for me ooooooh yeah

Last edited by vodka child; 04-07-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
VERY nice Vodka, VERY nice indeed.
My girl is closely watching your build, she likey likey.
Hey thanks man Just the quick n dirty mock up I did i LOVED the look of the rig, should be a cracker once it's all bolted together. Will post up pics and comments as get more done
Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

those skins are gonna look "SHAGADELIC!!!"

nice!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
those skins are gonna look "SHAGADELIC!!!"

nice!
The inside skins that KrawlerKonceptz makes are awesome, with this design wanted something different but with a motor sport theme. I have the 1st mock up images from KrawerKonceptz and they look good, few tweaks and it'll look epic
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see the Viper being used on more than xr and berg axles. The build looks great so far

I'm looking forward to your feedback after you have some time on the rocks with it.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Got the front lower links bent into shape and the front uppers made up. All lins are delrin since this is what i had laying around. I've got some 5mm aluminium rod which i might use at some point, but wanted to keep this to the 'spare parts' mantra.

As is in the pictures, so minus motors, ESC, DIG, battery etc weighs in at 4.68lbs. So chassis links, foams, tyres, wheels inc 3 slugs per wheel in the DH Comps, don't think that is too shabby. Somewhere around the mid 5's to mid upper 5s should be RTR weight.

Couple more pics

And a quick flex shot, EVERYONE knows that you HAVE to have one of these

Old 04-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Looks good mate. That is a nice chassis, hope it works out for your Bully.
WolverineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

man this things lookin sweet!
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Darren your always thinkin' outside the box....... So you'll have to take final pics of it At the track........ if you have time. How's the season goin?

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Cheers Rob, season is running ok, 3rd in the Championship but had a disappointing last race. Opportunity to resolve that next weekend with a 2.5hr race.

This is the car we're running (pic from the 24hr race of Silverstone last year)

Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Gave the axles and gears a quick clean up and refresh, new gearjelly etc, added the motors in and made up some new plates to go over the motor mounting screws. Went from just over 3mm to 1mm, the 2mm extra clearance is easily achieved makes me wonder why RC4WD went the route they did

Couple of pics

Old

New

Speaking with KrawlerKonceptz today and the skins will blow the bloody doors off!! They are epeic
Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

One of the cleanest looking bully builds I've seen. Nice work. Can't wait to see how the skins turn out. By the way when I ran my bully I just used duct tape on the gear covers and just cut them with a razor for a little cleaner look. You really aren't in the cases much considering its a bully plus duct tape is cheap.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
One of the cleanest looking bully builds I've seen. Nice work. Can't wait to see how the skins turn out. By the way when I ran my bully I just used duct tape on the gear covers and just cut them with a razor for a little cleaner look. You really aren't in the cases much considering its a bully plus duct tape is cheap.
Hey thanks man Once i have the Axial shocks built back up i'll be able to see how the clearance is, if i need a mm extra i'll give the duct tape idea a go, have rolls and rolls of the stuff for racing so will be a quick fix if needed

Tags
bully, ugc, viper