Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Looper's Bully2 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Loopers Bully2 Build

I've been bitten...

A couple of months ago I was cleaning out the garage and came across my RC10GT and even older Kyosho Turbo Raider. I wish I still had the RC10 I had bough new when I was a kid... I thought my kids would get a kick out of bashing the Kyosho around in the back yard so that evening I jumped on the computer to order a new battery. What I found, while looking for a new battery, was the world of RC had evolved so much I could understand half the lingo people where throwing around. My day job is in the "Tech Field" so I should not be surprised by the pace things move at.

Fast forward about month later, I have gotten the urge to get back into the RC Hobby and needed to find the right "Fit" for me. Buggies, they are OK but I have been there and done that. Scalers are cool and I was glued to my computer while watching HeadQuake's Dodge M37 YouTube build video. Then I came across some Ted's Garage videos and was instantly hooked on Comp Crawlers. I thought I needed to get one of those units.

I built my own 3D printer a couple of years ago, I consider myself a "Maker" and have never been much for the RTRs. For me "The Build" is a major part of the fun. It didn't take long to realize that nobody selling a one stop kit for Comp Crawlers and I needed to find more info about building my own crawler.

Que the RCCrawler forum...
I absolutely love Spiitz' Build thread for all the photos and parts lists. Then I started sucking up other Build threads, Rowdy, Josh, Del Monte, Master Basher and Nappahdog to name a few...

I tend to go WAY overboard on hobbies that I get into, this time it is no different. Some of my choices for parts/items have been modified due to people no longer making the parts. I have heavily copied a lot of what Spiitz did in his build as I think our styles will be very similar, "fun running" with the potential to run a Comp someday when I get some driver skills. Please remember that, "Imitation is the best form of flattery".

The Parts list...
Bully 2 Front
Bully 2 Rear
YTC Double Agent with SMW Skid
Holmes Hobbies Puller 500 Flow Crawler, 30t <-[Over the top customer service ]
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini Dual
Castle Creations BEC
Hitec HS-7980 Servo
3.5" Kyosho Red Caps Shocks
Losi Mini-T springs
CBRB Ti Axle
Upper/Lower links from MountainStorm
105mm and 155mm Vanquish Titanium Links for Josh's Steering links
Vanquish SLW V3 .7 Rims and parts (for narrowed Voodoo)
Muchmore Racing MTR ESC Ultra Hi RPM Cooling Fan (MRU30FAN) (Spiitz Cooling Mod)
RCBros Full Brass Weight
RCBros Half Brass Weight
Boca green seal bearings - front
Boca green seal bearing - rear
3D printed fan supports
3D Printed rims (for RC4WD X-Lock tires)
3D printed bottom spring cups (could not find any JeepinDoug's for sale)
3D printed servo bracket
3D Printed battery tray
Misc screws, nuts, bolts, fittings, connectors, wire, etc...

Things I need to make/order...
Set of Narrowed Voodoo

Photos

3D Printed parts...

Last edited by Looper; 11-08-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Updated parts list
Looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looper's Bully2 Build

Welcome to the REVOLUTION!!!!!
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
RCC Addict

What are the first printed parts?
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Welcome to the REVOLUTION!!!!!
Thanks, after reading everyone's build threads I felt I needed to contribute back some of what I have absorbed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
What are the first printed parts?
Lower spring cups for the Mini-T springs. I could not find any JeepinDougs Mini-T Cups for sale so a few minutes in AutoCAD and 6 minutes later on the printer and I had a set of my own.

I must have printed four different versions of the servo bracket for the 7980 to get the height and holes right. Then I mounted the steering linkage and had to redesign and print another one due to clearance issues...
Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Every time I make something it takes a few tries to get it right. Instead of calling steps failures. Like to think of them a R&D. Nice parts. I'll be watching to see what else you come up with.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The Hitec 7950 servo is smaller and easier to fix on the front axle. That is what I'm running on mine.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
5th D Owner/Driver

Killer build, should work good with those parts.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

sweet! I was just thinking the other day there has to be some guys out there 3d printing parts and other stuff. How rad.
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

As I stated before, I am heavily copying Spiitz build but definitely trying to add my own flair.

As I plan to be running this hard, once it is built, I want to make sure I don't let the "Magic Smoke" out of the electrical components. I very much liked what Spiitz did to help cool his electronics down with a cross flow design. And as Spiitz discovered the YTC DA lends itself well to having fans mounted on the sides.

I was playing with AutoCAD and the printer again.

Nice tight fit...

Route the wires before I snap in the fan support

Two 3mm x 12mm flat head

And no need for nuts on the inside.

Last edited by Looper; 10-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #10

Tomorrow I should receive my Ti Links from MountainStorm. Tonight I did some electronic work, created a Y connector for the BEC/Servo/Rx and designed a skid to zip tie the electronics to. Still need to shrink wrap the RX and mount that to the stack.

I have also drawn up the hood and roof skins and have printed out an extra copy.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #11

The Ti links from MountainStorm came in today and they fit perfectly

Weight with 3s, 4.658 lbs. Still need to add a battery tray, get some weight on the hubs up front and swap out the Ti axle in the rear when it comes in.

Steerage clearance appears to be good.

Looks like I'm clearing the servo with no issues.

Still waiting on a programmer for the GT3C radio and some banana plugs for the motors. Tomorrow night I may try to design and print a battery tray.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

Battery Tray
I had my eye set on an electronic tray from NCD but he's not taking orders anymore. So I started looking for other parts. Rowdy has a nice tray for the bully but it looks to be a limited run item that I have missed out on that as well. (if I am wrong please correct me and tell me where to send my money)

I have a solution. I'll make my own.

WARNING: this is a 100% nock off of NCD electronic tray. I would much perfer to support NCD and buy one from him but as I mention above he is no longer making them.

Step One: Draw it up in CAD
My computer crashed when I was near the end of drawing this up so I got to draw it twice. Yeah, I say it all the time to people, you shroud save your work often...

Step Two: Run the STL file through the Slicer App and make G Code for the Printer

Step Three: Print it out
Yeah I need to take a video of the printer printing for you guys. For now, just imaging. Or watch this video on YouTube that is the same version of my printer.

Step Four: assemble

Step Five: Install

Last edited by Looper; 10-05-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks good man. These 3D printers are going to put all of the small crawler parts manufacturers outta business once they're on everyone's bench.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Looks good man.
Thanks for the kudos.

Quote:
These 3D printers are going to put all of the small crawler parts manufacturers outta business once they're on everyone's bench.
I hope not. I hope they evolve and start making other cool parts that can't be printed. I also wonder how strong some of my parts are and how they will hold up. The good thing is I can print out another part.

I would put the 3D printer world in the ßeta stages of public consumption. It is the hackers and home hobbyist that are into it now. It is starting to break out into the general public but there is a fair amount of tinkering needed with these things to get them to work and keep them running. Not to mention being able to draw in 3D if you want to make your own parts vs. Downloading pre-designed objects from thingiverse.

Speaking of thingiverse, have you seen the 3D printed Truggy?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
I hope not. I hope they evolve and start making other cool parts that can't be printed. I also wonder how strong some of my parts are and how they will hold up. The good thing is I can print out another part.

I would put the 3D printer world in the ßeta stages of public consumption. It is the hackers and home hobbyist that are into it now. It is starting to break out into the general public but there is a fair amount of tinkering needed with these things to get them to work and keep them running. Not to mention being able to draw in 3D if you want to make your own parts vs. Downloading pre-designed objects from thingiverse.

Speaking of thingiverse, have you seen the 3D printed Truggy?
Yeah, I'm curious to see the durability of these parts as well. Keep us posted. I saw that truggy. My first thought there is how long parts'll last. It's all cool stuff. It's starting to hit the mainstream though. Dremel's got a 3D printer on the market now.

Are you posting these parts to the thingiverse? Just asking.

Cheers eh,

Todd
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #16

Really cool build! Good job. Definitely interested in an update after you hit the rocks a few times. Also comp crawling....good choice. Teds garage on YouTube got me interested too!
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Are you posting these parts to the thingiverse? Just asking.
I have not posted any of these on Thingiverse. Where some of the items are clones of other peoples work I feel it would be bad Karma for me to post the files. Items that I have designed, 100% by me, I may post on Thingiverse but once something is posted on the Internet you cannot take it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Really cool build! Good job. Definitely interested in an update after you hit the rocks a few times. Also comp crawling....good choice. Teds garage on YouTube got me interested too!
Thanks! Oh, don't worry, I'll report back all my breakages with "8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence"

Basically I'm waiting on a radio with a decent MOA control and some banana connectors for the motor, of all things, before I hit the rocks.

Not that it is keeping me from crawling but I have an order into RCBros for their wheel weights and plan to print the Weight Brackets that NCD no longer makes for the Bully. I really wish NCD was still making items. Carbon Fiber is just hands down cooler that ABS/PLA...
Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Cool on posting your stuff man.

As to a radio, check out the Airtronics/Sanwa MT-4 or 4s. I've got the MT-4 on my Bully 2 and love it. Got an MT-4s sitting in a box waiting for another crawler. There are YouTube videos on how to set it up for your MOA. Dead easy and a pleadure to use.

I got my weight brackets from Turbofest here on RCC. Ask him if he still makes them. I like 'em.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #19

Time to add some weight to the front and take a little off the back

I place an order into RCBros for knuckle weights and made a mounting bracket on the 3D Printer

The weights and finished product

Bracket mounted on the hub

Weights mounted

From the top side

Back side of the rim

The Bully 2 Ti Axle came in from CBRB Fab and they are a scant 20g
Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #20
RCC Addict

You are cruising right along on this build. I keep seeing those x-locks and they remind me of my bully RTR. It is surprising how well they work. Only thing left is universals and it will be a beast.

Looper's Bully2 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remedy Bully2 Colgout RC4WD Bully 22 06-18-2015 08:52 AM
g-jero,s Bully2 g-jero RC4WD Bully 21 05-11-2015 08:45 PM
Few things about the Bully2 Colgout RC4WD Bully 6 01-30-2014 11:52 PM
Papabash's Bully2 Build papabash RC4WD Bully 54 05-16-2011 08:54 PM