Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: HELP! flipping/clocking motor mount...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HELP! flipping/clocking motor mount...

ok ok i read the tips and tricks section about a dozen times i have studied all the pictures i could find on the subject.

i want to flipmy steering servo to the other side so i am attempting to clock my motor plate on the tranny against the right(passenger) side shock loop. well i have tried everything and i cant get the motor clocked tight against the right shock loop. i can only clock it until the motor is directly perpendiqular (spelling?) to the spur. so its directly above it. but i see in all the pics of trucks that people have done this simple mod that the motor mount plate ends up being butted up against the right shosk loop. as in post # 10 in the tips thread.

here:
TF2 tips and tricks thread

i have tried everything. my tranny only has a couple of threaded holes on it and i cant clock it that far. i even ground a chunk out of the mtr mount plat to see it it would line the holes up but no go.it would workas in the tips thread but the holes that it lines up to arent threaded and they are bigger than the 3mm bolts.

SOOOOOOOO! wtf is everyone doing to get it clock all the way to the right?

pics would be greta video would mean your a god to help me.
i realy want this lookon my truck but im killing myself trying to get the motor clocked far enough since it actualy lowers the motor a few mm to help with weight dist.

thank you

bob
dybbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: HELP! flipping/clocking motor mount...

Hi mate. Right what your seeing is not just clocking of the motor but a complete reposition of the transmission and transfer box. The reason the anything is were it is, is because people are trying to raise the ground anchor that is the transfer box..

So the transfer box gets rotated 180 degrees and is attached higher into the chassis.
Then the transmission is fitted but in slightly different way, essentially botched into position the best you can with what you have to make sure the short drive shaft is flat and true. This new position allows the motor when clocked round to sit were it does.

Hope that helps
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i belive thats what you did to your build?
but im tryingto get the motor clock aroundsince the motor plate is clockable. as in pardonmynoob'sbuild where he just clocked only the motor and
not the tranny then flipped the steering servo over to the oppisite side of chassis. thanks for the feed back though. but i feel its different from what your saying and what i want to do.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Why do you want to move the servo over?
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i like the look of the steering linkage going left to right.or driver to passanger. i just like that option. i think most people wont do this mod so it makes my truck stand out just a little.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd...oject-***.html

Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks dready
i read your thread thats great work you got going on there.so what im taking away from this is
thats the only way to truly get the motor closest to the passanger side shock loop is
to move the trans over? since all i wanted to know is what are people doing to
get the motor clocked as close to the passanger shock loop.

as seen in pardonmynOOB's thread and several others as seen bellow from pardonmynOOB.

in these pics you can see that the motor mount in touching the shock loop and the tranny is in the stock location. this is the mod i am trying to do.i have the mtr mount clocked but it wont line up to be clocked against the shock loop. i have tried everything i cant get mine clocked that far over.

as you can see it wont clock over. i have tried everything i even notched the mount and it still wont line up the holes. now on my mount when i go to clock it i only have a couple of threaded holes then the other holes are bigger unthreaded? i mean its just bugging me that i cant move the motor over as far as others can that ive seen in build threads.if they are able to do it why cant mine its the same truck and parts right?

my next move is i might shim the shock loop out 3mm then remove the shock shim the directions have you install when building the truck and it should still line up with the axle without shifting it over. then that with the notched motor plate i should be able ot get it clocked as far to that side i hope? but i am waiting on more spacers from the LHS. yes i could make them but they never come out exactly alike. i been down that road.nowthat would be a great tips and tricks post. how to make identical spacers any size that match.

so i hope this lets everyone understand my delima and what im trying to do. and honestly i know there is no performance gane i just like this look better than stock. so thats how i want to build it. ive seen others build it this way so im racking my head on as to why mine cant be built the same.

thanksfor the input

bob

Last edited by dybbob; 07-13-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: gramme??r pictures
Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Sounds like a pain for zero benefit ....maybe shavkle reversal or an opening hood? Lol
Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

yeah maybe. i like the look. like i said above i feel it makes my truck stand out. its not the norm and since im not all that normal it fits.
i think maybe he has the first version tranny and i have an updated one that not all the holes in the bell housing are threaded and the same size?
because i mean it is soooo close when i go and try to get it clocked one more hole over its aprox 1mm off. but when i remove the 2 motor mount stand off spacers it will fit but then there is that problrm. you need those stand offs to mount the motor or atleast oneof them on that side.

but im just asking if there is a trick i havent thought ofto do this mod.

Last edited by dybbob; 07-13-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: stuff
Old 07-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbob View Post
yeah maybe. i like the look. like i said above i feel it makes my truck stand out. its not the norm and since im not all that normal it fits.
i think maybe he has the first version tranny and i have an updated one that not all the holes in the bell housing are threaded and the same size?
because i mean it is soooo close when i go and try to get it clocked one more hole over its aprox 1mm off. but when i remove the 2 motor mount stand off spacers it will fit but then there is that problrm. you need those stand offs to mount the motor or atleast oneof them on that side.

I get where you're coming from about the individuality but I guess I was just trying to explain that there are a bunch of things you could do that more folks would actually notice. If Dready or nOOb hadn't posted it honestly I'm not sure I'd even pick it out...and I'm a scale dork
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

true fact. honestly i just removed the hole drive line(tranny, transfercase)and after repositioning everythingi got it in
and the motor mount on that side was off asmidgion. so i say F it im going to leave the motor mount in the position it is in
and hopefully with the motor up a little higher i might be able to fit the esc underneath it?

thanksfor the input

bob
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Don't get me wrong here...my understanding is based on my own OCD tendancies lol...like my Defender 110 I built and insisted on only tidying the exact spots that were rusted on a friends 110...

It's a shared sickness no?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

As far as I know both myself and Noob's TF2 transmissions will be Identical to yours.
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Stoopid question here, but have you tried switching the black anodized transmission mounts? If you have already then I need see more detailed pics of your exact problem.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i thought about that salmon but if i do that then the tranny and transfer case wont like up
i mean thats no problem but it would mean addinga very short drive shaft and thats justanother weak
point in the drive line.

thats what i figiured dready since i didnt read anything about rc4wd changing the bolt holes for the bell housing
that was preaty much a hypothosis on why mine dont line up semilar to pardonmynoob's.

now dont get me wrong i had the tranny out and i could clock it like nOOB's but when i installed it like i said i lost the lower motor plate standoff
and the motor mount didnt line up?

no biggie thanks guys for the comments and helping me think thru it. like i said befor im just going
to keep the motor in the position of the above pic and hopefully the novak esc i have will tuck
nicely underneath it.

easy peasy

bob
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
RCC Addict

No problem man. It wouldn't hurt to PM pardonmynoob about this and pick his brain for details on how to switch the motor to the other side while keeping it low and stock looking.

I had a hard enough time shoehorning a TF2 drivetrain in a stretched bruiser.

Quote:
i thought about that salmon but if i do that then the tranny and transfer case wont like up
i mean thats no problem but it would mean addinga very short drive shaft and thats justanother weak
point in the drive line.

thats what i figiured dready since i didnt read anything about rc4wd changing the bolt holes for the bell housing
that was preaty much a hypothosis on why mine dont line up semilar to pardonmynoob's.

now dont get me wrong i had the tranny out and i could clock it like nOOB's but when i installed it like i said i lost the lower motor plate standoff
and the motor mount didnt line up?

no biggie thanks guys for the comments and helping me think thru it. like i said befor im just going
to keep the motor in the position of the above pic and hopefully the novak esc i have will tuck
nicely underneath it.

easy peasy

bob
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote

HELP! flipping/clocking motor mount... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flipping tranny with a brushless sensored motor rebuilder Electronics 2 02-11-2012 07:00 AM
Who has burned out the stock motor by flipping the tranny? Psycho-Savvy Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 02-09-2010 04:52 PM
Motor Clocking??? illz302 HPI Wheely King 2 08-02-2009 02:54 PM
servo mount options w/o clocking links? solomon7 HPI Wheely King 7 07-30-2007 10:31 PM
clocking a motor in a WK tranny and gearing ?? 72Blazer General Crawlers 4 03-26-2007 12:16 AM