Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: The Northkona over/under build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The Northkona over/under build

I saw what Dready put together and thought it sounded like a good idea.
Turning the input shaft around and making it the front drive and the front drive now the input gives the front axle an overdrive.

I put tape on the tyres to show how much of an overdrive the front wheels get to 1 rear wheel rotation, approx. 1.5/1 .

I still need to fab another motor mount on the lhs and on the right there is enough room to put another hole for the second hole. The motor mount was not modified to miss the shock hoop and all the hardware is installed. The front driveshaft clears the gearbox on full compression. I put 2 x 4mm spacers under the servo mount to clear the new brace for the trannie.

I have not touched anything else on this yet (Junfac shafts are in the post) and the list of mods I want to do keeps growing. Loving this truck.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Northkona over/under build

I'm still waiting for a few parts but I can't stop mucking around with this truck.

I made an anti-wrap bar for the rear axle out of the couple of extra rod ends in the kit and some 3mm allthread. I am only running the 1 leaf and have removed the internal springs from the shocks, trying to soften it up and get more travel.

The motor mounts didn't take much to get right. An extra hole in the long one and a scrap bit of 3mm alu for the new one.

I have moved the rear fixed leaf mount on the chassis forward 1 hole. I drilled and tapped a new hole in the chassis to flatten out the leaf, I didnt like the way the rear shackle was sitting but I think this may be too much now . It has shortened the wheel base a touch and I may have to reposition the body to make it work.

Next is the anti- wrap for the front axle and maybe some damped longer shocks. There are a ton of 1:1 anti wrap bars out there but I like the quality of workmanship on this one , I think maybe the extra shackle and arm wont be needed on a 1:10 "WRAPTOR" anti wrap bar. - CK5 Forums
I also removed the 2 bolts holding the axle together and the 2 holding the leaf on top and replaced with a long bolt and nyloc. 2 threads in the axle housing were stripped already and this holds everything together more securely.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I couldnt bring myself to put that plastic bumper on so I had a go at making one out of 6mm stainless rod.

2mm stainless arc rods worked OK, not pretty welding but should be strong enough.

Added an anti-wrap bar to the front axle.

It fits nice and close, removed lights from bumper and glued into body.

Not a good photo but a spare Exo Terra interior worked out pretty well. It clears the esc and shift servo ( I need to put the small Wraith steering wheel on tho )
It is a serious pain not being able to go and buy parts locally, all my stuff is usually a 2 week (posted from US) wait so a small change in direction on a build really slows things down. It sorta saves me money tho !
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Dam that looks good love the way you moved the tranfer case and the interior looks good to!
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks Joe, I dont believe how much time I have spent on this and I haven't put a whole battery thru it yet !
Its stopped raining and i have my new Junfac shafts so its up for a play this arvo.
After moving the shackles around on the front axle the wheels didnt line up with the arches properly so I made some new hangers for the front and some longer alu ones for the rear. I am only using 1 leaf with anti-wrap bars and it was sitting pretty low so this was to raise it a bit . I'll see how it looks after the springs soften up a bit.

The front axle could still come forward a touch but I'll wait til my new tyre/wheel combo arrives before I change it again.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Dang bro, I must give you some props on all your fabricated parts! You did a really creative job with everything! Way to go and keep up the good work ;)
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm with Fixer 'O Da' Jeeps.

Everytime someone does the Dready Mod (Over Under) I wonder if a nearly 50% Overdrive is too much. That's almost twice with the Axial setup gives right?
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Just read through your build thread bro, you've put some work into this thing!
CiLyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Building and modding is half the fun with these things , just wish there was a few more scalers around here to crawl with.
Enjoy it mate, I might have to get another one after this race season.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
Dang bro, I must give you some props on all your fabricated parts! You did a really creative job with everything! Way to go and keep up the good work ;)
Thanks for that, its a labour of love !
The TF2 is off to a new home now for me to spend some more time and money on racing. Waiting for the next Axial offering , maybe a IFS KOH rig using Wraith rear and a new front end, not the Exo one ! I have a RC8B front end that I keep looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
I'm with Fixer 'O Da' Jeeps.

Everytime someone does the Dready Mod (Over Under) I wonder if a nearly 50% Overdrive is too much. That's almost twice with the Axial setup gives right?
I dont know what the Axial ratio is but I could not see any negatives driving it this way. It gives a tighter turning circle and the front really pulls up over climbs. It did give a bit of "wind-up" on the concrete, trying to screw the tyres a bit but in the dirt, not an issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The tf2 runs like a dream, great truck Scott!
CiLyX is offline   Reply With Quote

The Northkona over/under build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM
Practice build before I build a real crawler. jm8881 General Crawlers 46 03-13-2005 09:21 PM