Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: How many of you greased the transmission and axles when building the kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Default How many of you greased the transmission and axles when building the kit?

I know the importance of greasing the drivetrain but I did not grease mine when building the kit. I've ran my TF2 a couple of times with no problems. But, now that I'm thinking about it and given that the trailfinder parts are expensive, I'm thinking of detaching the transmission and transfer case and greasing the hell out of them for durability. For the people who did not grease it during building, after how many runs have you had to disassemble the transmission, transfer case, and axles and grease them?
ScaleAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How many of you greased the transmission and axles when building the kit?

You should grease it now really. It will obviously run with the factory quota but if you want it slick, smooth and plan on going through any water its a must.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: How many of you greased the transmission and axles when building the kit?

Whilst you have the axles apart you must check the shimming of the gears too. It doesn't take long to swap round the shims on the input gear and you'll soon know if that's required or not and can soon put back to how it was.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

There was very little grease in my axles an tranny when i got the kit so I did it before I out the kit together.
mikeman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #5

yes grease is always a good idea in my mind. better safe then sorry
javner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleAlert View Post
I know the importance of greasing the drivetrain but I did not grease mine when building the kit.
You must grease it. Its a must. I don`t have those axles, but most of the rc differentials have pressure die cast crown gears due to mass production requirement. They are possibly not even heat treated to give them hardness.

Gears are complex mechanical components and even a slight problem in them multiplies itself within no time and turns the gear useless.

So please grease it before its too late.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I cracked open my transmission just because I was curious about what it looked like in there and happy to see a healthy dose of grease already so I didn't bother with the rest of the truck. From the pics I've seen of the transfer case those gears are really beefy as well so I'm not worried. As for the axle diffs.. I plan on replacing those with the helical cut gears sometime anyway so I'm not expecting them to last a long time.

Everything is running smooth so I'm not worried. My truck probably has 15-20 miles on it by now so I figure everything is broken in and running smooth.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I greased and checked the shimming on the axles - glad I did shimming was in need of adjustment !! While I was at it I put in better quality sealed bearings. Ran that for a few packs and then greased the transmission and Transfer case - they were lightly greased but had no signs of wear.
arnesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I've built 4 and greased all of them. Of the 4, 3 had adequate grease for a normal life/use. One was a bit dry. I cleaned them out and lubed them with Park Tools Synthetic bearing grease we use on the bikes.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Thanks everybody for the replies. From what all of you have advised, it would be better for me to just crack open everything and grease the hell out right now. I'm not rich and I want everything to last. Thanks again guys
Old 05-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would grease everything with a good quality grease.
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #12

I have not greased my Diffs or tranny yet. Hence I've not ran it in water yet. Will be breaking it down soon to pack in some marine grease.
JKJEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJEDI View Post
I have not greased my Diffs or tranny yet. Hence I've not ran it in water yet. Will be breaking it down soon to pack in some marine grease.
I've already greased everything and I'm glad I did because when I opened the tranny, there was hardly any grease left. Same for the transfer case. I put a lot of grease, enough for me to last for many many runs.. I also greased the axles. RC4WD's parts are expensive and I believe grease has saved me a lot of money.

Tags
grease, rc4wd, trailfinder 2

How many of you greased the transmission and axles when building the kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greased Lightening WAM Paint and Body 3 09-18-2011 02:47 PM
First Time Building A Kit!!! zjherna1 Axial SCX-10 10 05-16-2011 10:38 PM
greased nightling sketchboy Newbie General 4 03-02-2011 10:58 PM
Is the spur gear on an axial transmission supposed to be greased? Axial32 Newbie General 12 02-14-2011 07:28 PM