Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Will the basic kit do the job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Will the basic kit do the job?

Hi,

Just recently on my summer vacation I built my second Axial Wraith Kit I spent a too much money with. It's performing really, really well.

For a scale rig I have a Trail Honcho pretty much stock with some chinese alum upgrades. I hate how the thing is somehow lame and boring. While not turning anywhere, it goes over stuff too easy!

So I was wondering if I'd get a TF2 to spice up things a bit.

I'd go with the 27T motor (or TRX Titan 21T I have extra for the Wraith) + AE-2 ESC from the Honcho, with a spare Savöx 1256TG lying around and a CC BEC. Also one of those cheap chinese servos I have lying around for the tranny.

Do you think the TF2 is durable (when driven with appropriate care) as stock? Is there something that must be upgraded for it to run properly?

Will the kit by itself have a mount in the front bumper for the 9300XT bulldog which? (Have one of those lying around too..)

Thanks guys, you're the best
Ambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Will the basic kit do the job?

I trust the stock drive shafts about as far as a mouse could throw them. I'm running the old axial plastic drive shafts and they are working wonderfully. Other than that the kit is really solid. Use healthy amounts if loctite because there is very little plastic so almost all screws thread into aluminum.

Oh, I believe the rc4wd winch can be mounted on the stock plastic bumper but be weary, the bumper and frame mount is VERY flexible.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The kit is durable except for the driveshafts like jus said. I use the axial wb8 shafts. They aren't an expencive upgrade even if you use something like mip shafts. You should be good with the other stuff though. But I would use a higher turn motor the integy motors are more affordable.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies.

Since I think the Traxxas Slash 4x4 driveshafts are compatible with Axial stuffs, and if WB shafts are compatible with TF2, shouldn't the TRX driveshafts be compatible with the TF2 too? (Have extras of those too..)

But since I'm stripping the Hontcho clean anyways, I have the option to use it's WB's on the TF2.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

And oh by the way, is the "RC4WD XVD Axle Set" a good buy? There's a lot of bad rep around, and I think there was some clearance issues with the stock config to get the most out of them.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If your gonna get any upgrade drive shaft it better be MIP..... Or you are just wasting money...
I have had my TF2 for about 8 months and it is super durable my sons have put it to extreme testing... And yes use lots of loctite.....!
I custom linked the rear and left the leafs up front, I got 100 mm king shocks in the rear and stock up front...it's really a beast weighs about 12 lbs...
I have three scx10s a wraith a tamiya bruiser and 1/12 scale custom Suzuki samurai..and this tf2 and they all do actually very well...
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I am a Little disappointed about the diffs durabilety compared to my scx10 witch have been beaten on 10X more than the TF2.

And on my last drive with the TF2 i trashed the A pillar on the R side of the body, and offcourse i can not afford to by a new body any time soon ( not the fault on the body, i guess it have been rolled 1 time too mutch )

The TF2 hold up okay in my eyes, it is just me witch drive it too hard and on too large hills.

Better drive shafts is a must, dont know about the XVD`s, i put mine in before the last run with the TF2. But if i recall right i think the XVD`s are a recomended upgrade too.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
I am a Little disappointed about the diffs durabilety compared to my scx10 witch have been beaten on 10X more than the TF2.

And on my last drive with the TF2 i trashed the A pillar on the R side of the body, and offcourse i can not afford to by a new body any time soon ( not the fault on the body, i guess it have been rolled 1 time too mutch )

The TF2 hold up okay in my eyes, it is just me witch drive it too hard and on too large hills.

Better drive shafts is a must, dont know about the XVD`s, i put mine in before the last run with the TF2. But if i recall right i think the XVD`s are a recomended upgrade too.
I've had no problems yet without the xvd's.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I don't think the mip's are a must have. It depends on how ruff you plan on being with it and what you plan on trying to crawl over. I have used the traxxas shafts on my tf2 also. I had spares when my stock ones broke so I used them untill I got the wb8's on. I prefer them but its a preferance. I've had just as much problems with mip as with the axial wb8. Like the last set of mip shafts I bought was missing a set screw and a pin. And one set kept falling apart. So I guess to each their own right.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Have you set these RC4wd and Axial gear sets side by side? There is quite literally a HUGE difference in size... It's understandable that they Axials will be quite a bit more durable. The 'Yota axles are so scale that there will be compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe$ View Post
I've had just as much problems with mip as with the axial wb8. Like the last set of mip shafts I bought was missing a set screw and a pin. And one set kept falling apart. So I guess to each their own right.
While I think the MIPS are completely overkill for all but the most extreme TF2 builds, I have to defend them. They are fantastic shafts and shouldn't even be compared to the likes of a wb8 plastic shaft. So a set screw and pin were missing? Like that hasn't happened with any other product in history. This business is run by human beings, who make mistakes. As for them falling apart, that' most likely because you didn't assemble them correctly. The set screws needs to be oil/grease free, they need to be loctited, and you need to locate the flat spot on the pin to tighten the grub screw against. Do these things and they will just flat out work. I've run several sets for years and have NEVER had one fall apart on me. There is a reason they are the most recommended upgrade drive shaft in our hobby. They have earned it.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #11

I'm running the all metal punisher shafts from RCWD and they are doing great so far.
Reqlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Haha, I took my TF2 out for a spin for the first time.

Before I even got going, I wanted to test if the slipper was too loose. I held the front tires in place with my feet and gave it some throttle... After a series of weird noises I ended up having a candy cane'd front stock driveshaft Yeah...

I wanted to put a set of Slash 4x4 shafts in place, but shafts on the TF2 are too long for those. They were too long for wild boars in the center, but I just recently got a Dremel and I was able to shorten the middle shafts just enough to get the wild boards to fit. They held up nicely.

As for the electronics, 1256TG worked perfectly. Didn't get warm at all. Also the Axial 27T/AE-2 combo from my honcho worked "ok". The motor was at ambient temp after about half an hour of driving. I had set the drag brake to 100% which was way too much. Funnily, on 2nd gear the truck had just the right amount of drag brake for some reason. I need to dial it down a bit so that the 1st gear works proper with drag brake. I want my truck to slowly creep down a hill instead of having to use the tinyest amount of throttle to get it moving (which is usually pretty hard at really steep places).
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

My god! I just installed the XVD's... I was able to crank up my steering EPA's from ~60 to ~90 on my 4PL! This thing now turns like crazy!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #14

Put Yota 2 front axle and linked front and rear and I love it!
muffhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote

Will the basic kit do the job? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic motor help!? shadowrejects Chit Chat 5 04-03-2011 12:45 PM
Basic Bronco looneybin 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 10-10-2009 08:30 PM
basic Betty paint job rckjeep Paint and Body 6 07-31-2008 04:13 PM