Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 = time to push my scale envelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 01:39 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TF2 = time to push my scale envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Checking with finance department lol. From what I've read kit is better axle parts than RTR. I like kits anyways, but RTR TF2 comes with decent electronics, but only single speed tranny. What would you suggest?
I'm liking the rtr cause it's got a decent radio system , the single speed ( less stuff to break ) plus for me it's not gonna be stock for long so it's a good starting off point for my build .
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Checking with finance department lol. From what I've read kit is better axle parts than RTR. I like kits anyways, but RTR TF2 comes with decent electronics, but only single speed tranny. What would you suggest?

Do you even have to ask? Kit kit kit kit kit kit kit kit kit kit
2-speed tranny and color of plastic for the body (primer gray vs red) are the only differences. Everything else is the same.

Kit kit kit kit kit kit kit kit.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 AM   #103
Rock Crawler

Great build new2rocks! I really appreciated the more technical asks pension tips and results. I ordered one of the new crossmembers for the transfer case. Keep it coming
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
Great build new2rocks! I really appreciated the more technical asks pension tips and results. I ordered one of the new crossmembers for the transfer case. Keep it coming

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you found the thread helpful. Next updates will be to my other thread (finally was able to get back on the body for a bit this past weekend and hope to finish it this month). I have some future plans for this one come spring/summer. In the meantime, I'll keep beating up on it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Just went through this thread again. What paint did you use for that dark tan on the dash?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Just went through this thread again. What paint did you use for that dark tan on the dash?

I used Model Color Burnt Umber for the dark brown and Citadel Base for the medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Is there a specific kind of brush to be used to get it so smooth? Sorry for the questions paint noob. Lol
Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Is there a specific kind of brush to be used to get it so smooth? Sorry for the questions paint noob. Lol

No worries. I mostly used this Royal Taklon #6 brush. Bristles are 6mm across and 10mm long and very soft. Multiple thin coats are better than fewer heavy ones. Here's a pic:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

thanks I ordered that Citadel Base brown and their black and that brush. Appreciate it.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

It's been a while since my last update. I decided to run this in Class 1 at the RC4WD East Coast Scale Challenge last weekend (I ran it there last year). Fortunately, I didn't need to do too much.

Having been several points short of maxing out on points last year, I added a few things this year to get up and over the 60-point max. The RC4WD Steel Roll Bar is perfect for a utilitarian truck that gets abused and made a convenient anchor for the spare tire:
Name:  DSC07064.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  86.7 KB

The RC4WD 100mm SMD High Performance Light Bar did great during the night run:
Name:  DSC07069.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  67.6 KB

Much as I tried, I couldn't bring myself to keep the makeshift cardboard floor suggested by Metal Masher at last year's ECSC to make my makeshift interior legit for SORRCA purposes, so I needed to make one with styrene. I had contemplated doing a multi-piece floor with tunnel and some other details, but with time running short, I decided on something much simpler. A rectangular piece of styrene with two handmade bends did the trick:
Name:  DSC06877.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  DSC06878.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  42.2 KB

A little black primer and it was perfect:
Name:  DSC07070.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  45.4 KB

Mojave 2 rubber mirrors (which are a huuuuge improvement in durability over the original hard plastic ones):
Name:  DSC07068.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  30.9 KB

Inside, I added RC4WD's Cutter Action figure, the new RC4WD ARB cooler (which looks incredible in person, BTW), and a CC Hand rearview mirror:
Name:  DSC07067.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  44.3 KB

With the spare tire and a few scale bits in the bed, I was up past the 60-point max for C1, so it was time roll. As you've probably heard, the class 1 courses were challenging this year. But this truck did what it always does - takes whatever I throw at it without flinching. I placed 7th against a tough field, many of whom were running linked trucks (there seemed to be quite a few SWB Ascenders this year). And came away with a few battle scars as mementos:
Name:  DSC07046.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  86.9 KB

I'll say this about SORRCA-style comps. I wouldn't want to do them every weekend. But I have learned more in two weekends at ECSC pushing my trucks to (and past) their limits, looking over other trucks, talking to other builders, and watching other trucks run (esp. as a judge) than I would have in months of reading and fiddling on my own. For that reason alone, I will make sure to have one or two full-on comps on my calendar each year, and I'd encourage everyone to do the same.

My biggest takeaway this year was affirmation that I needed to run even thicker oil in my shocks. So after getting home, I decided to replace the shock oil (I think I was up to 100w) with 5k diff fluid to slow down the suspension a bit more and stabilize it on side hills. I've started moving in that direction with other trucks, and I suspect that will become my new norm.

At some point, I have a few other things I'd like to do (paint up one of the new Mojave 2 dashes, add door panels, add some proper lights and lens covers, fab up a proper spare tire mount, maybe a tool box for the bed, etc.). But for now, I'll continue to enjoy her as she is. We all need a truck or two that is dead reliable, fun to drive, and happy to take whatever abuse we throw at it when we're not in the mood to be so careful. This one is as good as it gets.

Name:  DSC07047.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Nice rig man! Great thread too. Tons of helpful information like always! Am I mistaken in thinking you had something to do with designing the Helios Skid? Either way it's a priceless addition to the kit. Even if had at $19.99

Quote:
My biggest takeaway this year was affirmation that I needed to run even thicker oil in my shocks. So after getting home, I decided to replace the shock oil (I think I was up to 100w) with 5k diff fluid to slow down the suspension a bit more and stabilize it on side hills. I've started moving in that direction with other trucks, and I suspect that will become my new norm.
I have naturaly worked my way up to using Diff fluid in my shocks over this last year and have wondered if it's a terrable way to go about handling my suspenssion. Currently testing 2k cst on my D90 and it still feels too soft. 5k was close but a bit to hard for my liking. With the TF2 being much lighter and 1k being insufficient, I might suggest trying 2k-3k before jumping to a 5k cst fluid.

Unfortunately I run solo up here in New England and Ive never even spactated a comp let alone participate in one. Hopefully that will change one day. Until then, Yall here at RCC are my only indication on how well I'm doing, really. I find it challenging to convey my feelings when I come across lil tid bits of info like this. So I'll leave it at that and a mighty big THANKS
2kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kind View Post
Nice rig man! Great thread too. Tons of helpful information like always! Am I mistaken in thinking you had something to do with designing the Helios Skid? Either way it's a priceless addition to the kit. Even if had at $19.99
Thanks - as always, living up to your screen name. And yes...I did have something to do with the formerly Helios now BowHouse skid. Nick (aka, Helios) is a good friend and frequent trailing buddy. We came up with the concept together and I tested the original prototype (still have it, actually). We formed BowHouse RC this year as a way to continue our collaboration and bring cool new stuff to builders.

Re shock oil, so much of it is personal preference. I think 5k is going to work well in the TF2, and it's easy enough to change out if I want. With no running mates around, I'd definitely encourage you to get out to an event a couple of times a year if at all possible. I can't tell you how much I've learned being surrounded by dozens of high-level builders and their trucks at the events I've attended. I've had to drive a ways (8 hours each way to ECSC), so it's not an every weekend or even every month activity. But it's been more than worth it a few times a year.

Oh...and from reading your D90 thread, you're doing great. Not just good...great!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #113
Pebble Pounder

Right on, Congrats to both of you! That is really great for you guys, and us
This part of life owes you all much respect. We need a bow emote...

Thanks for the very encouraging words as always man. I'll try and heed them
2kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Seems like your little TF2 is really doing well. Congrats on coming in 7th. I know it's a tough field.

I've got to scoop up a couple of those skids. I've got a TF2 chassis (gotta build a new body for it) and a SWB YJ is in the cards.

If the skid is half as good as Nick's packs, it'll be well worth the money.

FYI, I'm down in Charlotte, if you're ever in this neck of the woods hit me up.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
Seems like your little TF2 is really doing well. Congrats on coming in 7th. I know it's a tough field.

I've got to scoop up a couple of those skids. I've got a TF2 chassis (gotta build a new body for it) and a SWB YJ is in the cards.

If the skid is half as good as Nick's packs, it'll be well worth the money.

FYI, I'm down in Charlotte, if you're ever in this neck of the woods hit me up.
Thanks! This continues to be one of my all-time favorite trucks to wheel. As for the skids, you won't be disappointed. They are a lot more than half as good as Nick's packs.

Since you're so close by, you need to make it out to Uwharrie next weekend for GCM Adventure Series. The trails will be a blast, our sponsors have donated some amazing prizes, and the turnout is going to be great.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gcm-adv...ts-25772708866

Hope to see you out there.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

Oh yeah man, Todd as been all over me about this.

I may slap the Hilux truggy together and take it out for a shake down there.

Cheers!
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

TF2 = time to push my scale envelope - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time for a rebuild.... Scale truck this time.... msd44 New Mexico 36 02-13-2011 10:32 PM
Cc-01 is about to push me over the edge! traxxas4fun Tamiya XC/CC01 12 06-23-2010 07:36 PM
Thanks for the push.. sledge57 Newbie General 7 01-22-2010 08:03 PM