Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Yeti builds a TF2SWB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Yeti builds a TF2SWB

So I've been working on a TF2 SWB build for CKRC, initial thoughts. (1) RC4WD didn't pay attention..... Yea yea, the box said that the steel bead locks were 1.55 rims and tires. So I ordered in a set of the RC4WD 1.55 Swamper Boggers, I was going to go for the 90's build. Well low and behold, even though the box says that the rims and tires are 1.55, there 1.9! .......... Kind of a bummer. Even the web site at RC4WD isn't clear, in one section it says 1.9 and another says 1.5. Not a huge deal unless your building on a budget. Then it would be a pisser to order spare parts and find out you can't use them, either way I did have a spare set of the RC4WD Texas star 1.9 alluminum glue on rims, with the 1.55 Boggers streched over them they look great!!! And honestly I don't think will need to be glued!

(2)
You don't need to order the CC01 mounting kit, RC4WD lists it as need " or at least at the time of me writing this" it's not needed! Everything is in the kit to mount the Tamiya YJ body, so don't waste your money

(3)
Being that I have owned and built TF2's before, I had a spare set of shooter shackles laying around. Not sure if this has been covered before, but the RC4WD delrin springs do not work well with these, ,much modification to the spring will be needed, any ways with the stock springs from the kit and the shooter schakles give you about three fingers worth of flex out of the box, with out the springs being broke in "not bad for a 9.8 wheel base " eventually I will install the Red Springs
(4)
Frame, trans, transfer case and initial setup and build were great!!!!! Besides needling a bit more grease in the trans and axles I was pleasantly surprised! While I had the diffs apart I installed the ARB diff covers front and rear, only disappointment there was that the top center screw hole for the diff on both front and rear were stripped out from the factory, out of the box. I could put some tire glue on the screw before setting in the screw, but I will wait and contact RC4WD about this after the holidays before going that route.

(5)The kit was packaged well, the instructions were simple to understand, and the tagging on the supplied hard ware was great, this made everything about the assembly great, the body mounts for the tamiya YJ body are excellent, and all metal!

All in all my opinion is that this is a great kit, and one that many people have been waiting some time for. Upgrades for the TF2 chassis seem to work just fine " except the delrin springs" and that there will be many epic builds coming from this setup. Packaging and instructions are top notch, and make ease for a begginer or a seasoned builder, my only real issue is that there could have been some time really spent on the description of the product, the misleading discription of rim and tire size, along with the un needed parts suggested for the build are a bummer, and a waste of money that should and could have been avoided.
Future plans for this build include, longer shocks "instead of the supplied 80mm ones" red springs, and a full on custom interior with many custom things.
As the build progresses I will start adding pictures of the build.
Stay tuned
OGXXXOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Yeti builds a TF2SWB

Excellent info. here. Was waiting on some one to buy one and share. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Subscribed
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, this will be one to watch.
JOHNSON! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

here are some more updated build pics of the TF2 SWB jeep build to keep you all interested

The body has been set, trimming of the body has begun as well as the interior, Special note, TF2 red springs do NOT fit! as well as any other TF2 spring upgrades. The shooter shackles do work and fit well. but thats it. The kit as is a great start for someone that is looking to build a YJ SWB kit. It would have been nice though to have more info from RC4WD on what worked and what didnt before the build here are some great pics from BigYeti !!!

CKRC Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looking really, really good. I completely agree. A parts interchange PDF file and, an inserted page in the manual should be included. Would keep people from wasting time and money. Although other than most suspension parts, I would guess everything else would work.

Last edited by tokdl; 12-27-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Drive shafts are completely different and much more scale, the fitting of the jeep dody is outstanding. Flex is ok, the shooter shackles do help, and once weight is applied to the whole setup I think it will be decent.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGXXXOG View Post
Drive shafts are completely different and much more scale, the fitting of the jeep dody is outstanding. Flex is ok, the shooter shackles do help, and once weight is applied to the whole setup I think it will be decent.
I guess the SWB comes with the ultra scale shafts then instead of the plastic punishers? That's pretty cool.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Dash update. Now that the tunnel and base portion of the interior was made, I then switched my attention to the dash, Adding on to one that I have that was slightly built, I started adding more layers of styreen, and started shaping the dash, I then added a base coat of paint to the dash, along with a few pieces of carbon fiber I had laying around. painted up the Axial interior steering wheel and installed that. I also built a switch box that was to also look like it had a CB speaker into it, cut and made some switches and installed them, as well as painting them. I can now start adding the detail to it and the other coats of paint to really bring the dash together.
Next thing up will be the bracing and finishing of the interior, Including speakers and other various items. I havent decided if I should install 3D printed items from various makers or make my own. the last issue to deal with is figuring out what is going to happen to the head lights, apparently at this time of writing, the lenses are not available any where, RC4WD does list that there is a clear headlight but no buckets, IHave emailed RC4WD to see if the said lense made for them would fit with out the Tamiya light buckets or if those are required, but im still awaiting a response. if they dont then I have two choices at this point. Take the Vanquish Products Q light and do some adding to the body so they look right....... OR just break down and build my own buckets out of styreen and then instal some clear lexan.
once this is all complete massive body work and prime the body, paint and detail it all out. then on to the electronics that will be a wiring mess, but worth it in the end

on to pics of the begging of the dash

Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So the body came back from the Hydro dipper, he killed it, interior is finished and the lights are coming. now that the interior is finished and glued in and work on the battery plate and final fittings. the only thing that I think i am going to change is the wheels, the hydro dip came out awesome, but its not the look im going for. I believe that black steelies and and MT claws will look better and go for the look im hunting for. here are a few updated picks. tell me what you think
Yeti

Old 02-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

OK so here's a updated set of pictures, The 1.7 MT claws and the 1.9 steelies look much better, I added the scale hub caps, and what meat head ride wouldn't be right with out a dog running co-dog "hehe" and a brand new high-lift just bouncing around in the back cabin. Also added some nice stickers, cause what jeep isn't complete with out a few.
The steel bumpers will be started this week along with some sliders to help with saving the body for that nasty mall rash.
what do you guys think so far ??

Old 02-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #11

Good choice on the body work and glad you used diff rims, the other ones didnt look leka.
ur4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGXXXOG View Post
How did you put the arb diff covers on? How do the old ones come off??
Jereemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereemk View Post
How did you put the arb diff covers on? How do the old ones come off??
the yota 2 axles stock diff cover is removed by pulling the diff out of the axle and removing 4 screws from inside. once the stock cover is off, it reveals the tapped holes the ARB cover uses on the outside
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
the yota 2 axles stock diff cover is removed by pulling the diff out of the axle and removing 4 screws from inside. once the stock cover is off, it reveals the tapped holes the ARB cover uses on the outside
Correct, sorry for the delay but im glad that other forum members could answer. they work really slick, the fit is great and looks good too.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #15

So I'll be taking my axles apart tomorrow but right now I don't see a machined line showing the edge of the diff cover. Is it possible my axles don't allow for are diff covers?

Jereemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereemk View Post
So I'll be taking my axles apart tomorrow but right now I don't see a machined line showing the edge of the diff cover. Is it possible my axles don't allow for are diff covers?
Your axle is a Yota 1 like what the TF2 has. The case splits in half, you can see the line across the middle.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

So I made up the front bumper and slider's, but it wasn't the look I was going for, so I started different one's. In the mean time meat head went out on its first little jaunt, We found out early on that even though the 1.7 baja claws on the 1.9 steelie rims looked cool, they lacked the gumption to actually be any good in the rocks ! so that led too the 3rd change in the tire wheel combo. I switched it up to some RC4WD Dick Cepek rims and mounted a set of the Proline Super Swampers SX tires on them, after a small trail run this is for sure the best move and works great on the little jeep. Also the jeep got some more needed upgrades, a roof rack and back rack added that special flair, along with a spare tire and some more 3D printed items from both Falvey Designs and The Hoy Fab. Also got the lights finished up and installed a smaller pinon to get that low down gearing. today was a harder test on the whole setup and it was a great time out. Hopefully I will get the Front bumper and sliders done by the end of the week.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

You have pimped yo ride! Looks good...
Crutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

nice build an great info i have the jeep cc01 that i want to use on this chassis so ill deff b watching more
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Went down to Cisco Grove the other day to scope out the Axial Fest 2015 camping spots, I ran the meat heat yj, have to say I was happy with its performance, the scale behavior of the jeep is nice, the weight helps with the performance of the rig. I'm still waiting to finish the front bumper and the sliders. here are a few pictures of the trip, sorry a couple pics came out blurry
Yeti

CKRC Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti builds a TF2SWB - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
water yeti.. calling all yeti owners going2fast Axial Yeti 11 11-02-2014 05:43 PM
Yeti Build Inspiration - IFS KOH Builds Harley Axial Yeti 8 07-13-2014 04:55 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM