Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My first TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My first TF2

Very nice look'in truck, all the scale detail is done very well! The wipers are cool, looks like a lot of work installing them, to nice to scratch!
goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenz View Post
Truck looks great, i love all the attention to detail. The 3d printed items are awesome as well.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing View Post
Very nice look'in truck, all the scale detail is done very well! The wipers are cool, looks like a lot of work installing them, to nice to scratch!
Thank you! I am not fining that the wipers are actually causing the body to not mount on all the way. The base of the wiper assembly (which i thought at first cleared) is now hitting the transmission. I am unable to get the body all the way down to screw it on. I do not plan on doing very heavy crawling when the spring comes so i am hoping that it will just stay put on the frame. With everything added to the body, it does have some weight to it.

Thanks to a forum member, i have a 3 + 4 link system on the way, need to plan out my shocks but it should help a bit with the off roading.

I was hoping to keep it leaf for the realism but i couldn't resist going to a link system.
Got TF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Little update. I installed a set of Junfac hubs that i took of the Tundra. Figured they would get more use being seen on the TF2

Also, The links came in! Sorry leaf springs, but i love the flex of a link system.

Curious as to what shocks you guys usual run. My rear does have some weight to it with the rack mounted and the rig sags a bunch when i mount the body now. Would like something that will get me enough to hold the weight but will give so it can crawl like a pro. Great looking ones are a plus of course.

Ideas?

Thanks all!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Looking great so far. For shocks, there are tons of good options. If you're leaning toward more performance, you'll want to look at coil overs. Good choices include RC4WD King Off-Road shocks (now available in 2 widths), RC4WD Emulsions, and Proline Scalers. I run each of those on different rigs and have been very happy with each one. The latter two aren't available shorter than 90mm, so you'd need Gelande 2 hoops and limiters in front to maintain stock ride height.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Looking great so far. For shocks, there are tons of good options. If you're leaning toward more performance, you'll want to look at coil overs. Good choices include RC4WD King Off-Road shocks (now available in 2 widths), RC4WD Emulsions, and Proline Scalers. I run each of those on different rigs and have been very happy with each one. The latter two aren't available shorter than 90mm, so you'd need Gelande 2 hoops and limiters in front to maintain stock ride height.
I will definitely looking into some King's. I knew switching to links would lead to new shocks, I just thought the stocks would hold up some. Makes sense with how the leafs would carry the weight.

More deal hunting!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got TF2 View Post
I will definitely looking into some King's. I knew switching to links would lead to new shocks, I just thought the stocks would hold up some. Makes sense with how the leafs would carry the weight.

Exactly. There are some internally sprung options that do a bit better than the stock ultimate scalers, and you can get a spring pack with different rate springs that help with tuning. But even then, they don't work as well as coilovers, and you give up the ability to adjust easily using a shock collar. Good luck with the bargain hunting... :thumbsup:
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

reason the front frame-side link mounts are on the wrong sides?
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
reason the front frame-side link mounts are on the wrong sides?
HAHA good eye! I purchased the links from another member here and they were pre-assembled. They looked good to go and mounted them right up. I did not notice that at all until you just pointed it out. Thanks!

Will be fixed!!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Just went and torn the whole front end off. I found that some of the mounting plates were completely in the wrong sections and needed to be adjustment. I also moved the shocks to being attached to the front of the axle so they were more straight. After all this, there is SO much flex in the front end and 0 binding. Before, i thought it was just the nature of the rig.

Also, bye bye wipers. The motors were hitting the transmission and the body would not go on all the way. So at least for now, it is back to plain old wipers.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Went outside for the TF2's first real drive. I must say, even with the truck in full droop, I am very impressed on how it performed. It had no issue going up the small rocks that were exposed in my backyard. Also, very little rubbing even at full tuck and turning. Very happy camper. Really looking forward to the snow melting away and being able to really use it.

Even with the weight of the rack, It had no issues getting up and down the rocks. I never had to touch it.

Need to get seats and make an interior!

I am starting to see why everyones under carriage looks so "used" This is from 1 run!! I have to keep telling myself that this rig will be USED, not a shelf queen haha.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

To me I was actually excited to see scratches on my axles and everything xD
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
To me I was actually excited to see scratches on my axles and everything xD
I'll second that, well now i do haha. This rig is going to take me out of my element of "keep it pretty". I going against all the little synapses in my brain and just going for it!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Went outside for the TF2's first real drive. I must say, even with the truck in full droop, I am very impressed on how it performed. It had no issue going up the small rocks that were exposed in my backyard. Also, very little rubbing even at full tuck and turning. Very happy camper. Really looking forward to the snow melting away and being able to really use it.

Even with the weight of the rack, It had no issues getting up and down the rocks. I never had to touch it.

Need to get seats and make an interior!

I am starting to see why everyones under carriage looks so "used" This is from 1 run!! I have to keep telling myself that this rig will be USED, not a shelf queen haha.

It's difficult at first to see the gouges and scrapes on the axle housings and cross members, it was for me any way, but after a while of running and the body starts to get muddy, it just adds to the realism. They can't stay new for ever ;)
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Had some spare time today and decided to mess around with some photo editing.

Here is a Before and After of a recent truck photo. There are 10 differences!

And in case you didn't get them all.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Had some spare time today and decided to mess around with some photo editing.

Here is a Before and After of a recent truck photo. There are 10 differences!

And in case you didn't get them all.

Nice photo work there.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' Lobster View Post
Nice photo work there.
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

What editor do you use?
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' Lobster View Post
What editor do you use?
Snapheal Pro on my Macbook Pro.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Little Electronics updateeee

I have always run the Axial AE-2 ESC in my trucks. My SCX10 was my first crawler and of course it came with one. For me, it serves my purposes and hasn't let me down. Plus i have the USB programmer for CC products.

The stock Outcry ESC/BEC system works but i felt at slow speeds, it was very jittery. So out it went and "highhpcummins" hooked me up with a AE-2 deal here on the forums.

Had to do some small wiring to get the CC BEC tied in with it but everything runs! I should have done a before and after video but it is so much smoother now. And of course, I had to do some OCD wiring.

** For those who are not familiar, the AE-2 is a 2s lipo ESC, BUT if you use a BEC, you can run 3s! **

Next on the install list are some AsiaTees Boomerang Shocks, Front inner fenders, and Bench seat.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Pic heavy update!

Some new parts came in today. 1st up, Goldwings high clearance transfer case mount. THIS IS AWESOME. The quality is top notch and is a perfect fit.

I did see noted in a few places that you need to notch the esc/battery plate for it to fit, 2 quick saw movements later

And everything back together

The clearance! The transfer case is now lower than the link mounts.

I still wanted to keep my battery in the same spot, but with the hole the battery would get hit my the spinning shaft. Quick fix, mount the cut scrap piece on top and it now clears perfectly.

2nd part that arrive was my seat!

Hard to get pics of but nice shot of some dash pistols.

I also picked up the front inner fender liners. I am currently putting some plasti dip on them and will have pics soon of those mounted.

Tags
f350, rc4wd, tamiya tundra, tf2, trail finder 2

My first TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tf2 my way kalifkid RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 03-24-2014 10:11 PM