Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My new Toy...ota!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My new Toy...ota!!

Not going to bore anyone with unboxing pics.

Mostly stock RTR RC4WD Trailfinder 2. Added upgraded driveshafts, interior, driver, scale hubs to front wheels, some weathering paint (can hardly tell), some detail paint to front grill and lights. Removed front and rear bumpers, third helper on front leafs, second and third helpers on rear leafs and removed internal springs in front and rear shocks (still trying to figure out the suspension). Have some other goodies on the way.

This is a cool little truck! Couldn't wait to get her out on the trails some more. Stupid work.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My new Toy...ota!!

Note-some of this was done over several days and written up elsewhere. Just now starting a build thread here.

Got some more done on the Yota. Marlin Crawlers front and rear bumpers, Marlin Crawlers sliders, Hilux side badging and front wheel wells. Not sure about the front bumper as it seems to stick out considerably. However, it allows for plenty of room for the winch (yet to be purchased). The bumpers do seem to provide a good deal of protection for the body, though. Also installed a new Savox waterproof servo.

Last edited by ebbet; 03-11-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Worked on the TF2 a little more. Added second helper back to the rear leafs. Also filled shocks with 60 wt oil to slow down bounce. We'll see if these will hold oil. I've heard they don't. We'll see. If not, RC4WD Old Man Emus might be on order. Also added a winch up front filled with Beef Jerky winch line and hook and scale pallets to the bed. Thanks, Hamilton Hobbies! The winch ate up that blank space on the bumper. It doesn't look like so much of a gap anymore. Digging this little rig so far. It's a lot of fun! More capable than expected.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Got out with the TF2 and was able to take some poser shots and a small video. Not sure if I can get the video uploaded. This is no SCX10, but the more true scale flex and capability has been a lot of fun!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Where did you get the marlin crawler sticker?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It came in the package with with the bumpers. Only problem was that they are on a white background so I had to cut around them to eliminate the white.

If you are interested in them PM me your address and I will mail you a set. I have 3 sets.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Not sure if this will work or not, but here goes...a short, very short, clip out in a creek bed.

Last edited by ebbet; 03-16-2016 at 06:58 AM. Reason: embedded video
Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Waiting on some Hilux graphics from Krawler Konceptz. Also some scale license plates from RC-DMV.

Beyond that, I would like to get the truck bed box from RC4WD and possibly the roll bar for the bed. Eventually some Old Man Emu shocks and XVD's. I keep toying with the idea of Pitbull Growlers but don't want to lift this or trim the body. New wheels also intrigue me but I like the simplicity of the white steel wheel. Just would like to make mine stand out a bit from all of the other red RTR's.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Forgot to mention I also changed out the center transfer case skid for the Helios (?) skid. Looks like it does increase clearance. Can't wait to see how it does out on the trail. Hopefully less hangups.

Before:

After:

Old 03-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The Helios RC skid is one of the best investments you can buy for a TF2. Congrats on the purchase, looks like your well on your way to being a TF2 fan!
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
The Helios RC skid is one of the best investments you can buy for a TF2. Congrats on the purchase, looks like your well on your way to being a TF2 fan!
Thanks, Steve! I've had my eye on the TF2 for a little while. After I built my Gelande D90 I really started to take more notice of RC4WD and the TF2. I liked the idea of a leaf suspension. Something different than all of the 4 link crawlers out there. The more true scale ability makes for fun, challenging crawling and trailing.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

you don't really need to trim the body for the 1.55 growlers. at most would be below the grill but even that doesn't seem to be needed.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
you don't really need to trim the body for the 1.55 growlers. at most would be below the grill but even that doesn't seem to be needed.
So no body trimming necessary? No body lift kit? Do I need to run a different suspension set up?

Right now I have stock leafs minus the smallest helper, stock shocks with no springs and filled with 60wt shock oil.

I feel like as it is now with the Mud Thrashers I get a little rub on the tires at full lock.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looking again you will probably need to trim to atleast above the bolt on the side without rub during articulation.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Looking again you will probably need to trim to atleast above the bolt on the side without rub during articulation.
Yep. Just not too keen on cutting the body. But the Growlers look really cool. The other tire I was giving consideration to was the Dick Cepek Fun Country. They are really no bigger than the Mud Thrashers but give a different look. Might be a little softer and grippier? Not sure.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

No performance upgrade with this, but, damn, it looks cool!

Also went back out with it for a little while. Got some neat photos.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looks good! Looks like you have some nice trailing areas too.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Take a look at my build thread, I run Growlers and didn't have to trim anything. They did rub the lower valence at lock but nothing that concerned me to worry about. I'm also using Gelande front shock hoops and 90mm shocks up front and that more than likely helps with clearance.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
Take a look at my build thread, I run Growlers and didn't have to trim anything. They did rub the lower valence at lock but nothing that concerned me to worry about. I'm also using Gelande front shock hoops and 90mm shocks up front and that more than likely helps with clearance.
Steve, I have to admit, I've been using your rig as a bit of inspiration. I even have the Hilux graphics coming from Krawler Konceptz in colors similar to yours. I just want to make the RTR mine and somewhat different than the other red RTR's (kind of contradictory if I am copying yours!!!).

I might try the Growlers in the end. I like the way they look. Wish they were just a touch smaller than they are, though.

So Gelande hoops in front with 90 mm shocks and 100 mm in the rear, right?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Made a little more progress. Hilux graphics from Krawler Koncepts then did some more weathering on it. "Dusted" it from the front with a little sand and brown colored spray paint. Starting to look like an old truck. Removed the pallets from the bed, at least for now. Still have to put the side mirrors back on. Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas for weathering, etc.

My new Toy...ota!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toy crawlers r1 to formula toy Toycrawler5481 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2011 06:49 PM
the toy...ota crawl kid General Scale Talk 5 12-06-2010 10:14 PM
My new Toy.....ota mike Chit Chat 6 01-20-2008 09:46 PM