Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat RS10 revisited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #121
Rock Stacker

Quote:
for weights we use 'solid core lead wire' we got it at the local fishing store. a whole lot-for way cheap. more than you need. they got it in 3/16 and 1/4 wire. real easy to wrap round the inside blah blah blah... you get it.
Same here.
bl8zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #122
Rock Crawler

Another mod we just found, if you want alittle better steering angle. You just simply trim the stops alittle at a time until you get it where you want it. Its a easy mod but it helps the steering ALOT.
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #123

Hello everyone, I wanted to let everyone no that i just picked up an RS-10 for $120 at http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-trucks/electric/ with free shipping. I am a total noob to the hobby. This will be my first crawler and first real RC vehicle other than a few toys. Crawling looks much more interesting than speed bashing to me. I did a lot of looking at different trucks and chose this one mainly due to price. It seems to be a great entry level rig and for 120 bucks if I get bored of it I haven't lost much. I will be following this thread for mods an issues. Thanks for all the current info and the much more that I'm sure will come as more people pick these up. The one question I have now is, can you recommend a good fast charger and battery setup for this thing.
Desert Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

I was just thinking about trying that steering mob myself. I was going to ask if anybody had tried that yet. Thanks
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #125
Rock Crawler

Just do it in small incriments. Youll see theres a round dimple, mine is cut not quite the midle of it.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Desert Stomper, there are a ton of different battery/charger combo's you can use with these rigs. Depends on if you wanna use nimh or lipo and what your budget is like. Personally I use a 3300mah elite cell nimh battery from cheapbatterypacks.com and a losi mini peak charger...works just fine for me and was under 50 bucks for the battery/charger. Glad to have you around...post up some pics of any mods you do to your crawler.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Stomper View Post
Hello everyone, I wanted to let everyone no that i just picked up an RS-10 for $120 at http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-trucks/electric/ with free shipping. I am a total noob to the hobby. This will be my first crawler and first real RC vehicle other than a few toys. Crawling looks much more interesting than speed bashing to me. I did a lot of looking at different trucks and chose this one mainly due to price. It seems to be a great entry level rig and for 120 bucks if I get bored of it I haven't lost much. I will be following this thread for mods an issues. Thanks for all the current info and the much more that I'm sure will come as more people pick these up. The one question I have now is, can you recommend a good fast charger and battery setup for this thing.
That website now shows it as $155 so you must have got a good deal.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

what parts can be upgraded/swaped out with this truck?
greenjeeper92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #129
Rock Crawler

http://www.xenonproject.com/black-fr...e-p-14868.html

There ya go, $120.99 with free shipping!!!! I wish I would have see that when I ordered mine.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #130
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeeper92 View Post
what parts can be upgraded/swaped out with this truck?
practically everything...motors, body, all electronics, wheels/tires, chassis, suspension links, steering knuckles, shocks, radio/receiver, etc... The only things not available for it yet are metal gears and aluminum axle housings.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #131
Rock Stacker

I hope they make metal gears in the near future. I don't really mind the plastic housings as much. My rs10 is lacking in power and I want to upgrade to 540 motors without the fear of stripping out gears. I just put dig switches in and with my banebot 390s i can't pull my rig up a near 90deg ledge using front dig. With full throttle the motor just stops. Can't pull the rig up.

Another issue when upgrading motors would be space. I'm already rubbing the lower links/shock ends at the back of the motors using banebots. 540 motors are even longer. Moving the links to the outer position of the axle mount would give slightly more room but then you'll decrease your steering. I guess it's a trade off.
bl8zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Bent my stock lower links instead of buying new ones. Bent them 1" up from the end of the alum. Filed the sharp edges on them at the turnbuckles. I noticed it would get hung up in that area on the links. Took out the battery tray, mounted the lower links to the inside. Filed some off the frame where the turnbuckles would touch at the inside. Drilled a hole in the bottom center of the frame, and mounted the slot car front wheels to the inside of the frame. Until my new esc gets here, I put my Mamba Max esc on it for now. I have broken 2 Slash chassis's in a month. That is the only reason my MM is on the rs10. Does anybody know anything about the Lempo TSC esc?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

How is the articulation now with the lowers moved inside the chassis plates?

Im going to be buying the Outcry dual motor ESC from RC4WD.com, It will handle anything I throw at this truck and comes with a BEC.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

The articulation is really good. One end sits flat on the ground and the other end (f or r, r or f) stands up by itself at almost 90 deg. without falling down, maybe a little more tweaking to get a full 90. The upper shock mounts are not tightened down. The ball in the shock cap was removed and replaced with nitro fuel line. The lower shock cups have the bottom shoulder removed, the center has been opened up. The plastic end (turnbuckle) now sits inside the lower shock cup. I did not open up the slot for the shock shaft. So far it works pretty good. I need to figure out the photo thing. I used Traxxas ball ends on the links inside the frame. Thanks

Last edited by cul8tr; 11-29-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #135
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASSPONY View Post
http://www.xenonproject.com/black-fr...e-p-14868.html

There ya go, $120.99 with free shipping!!!! I wish I would have see that when I ordered mine.

i ended up buying one for my dad so he doesn't have to stand there and watch me drive my axial. for $120 you can't beat it
snowshoebrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #136
Rock Stacker

i stumbled across the redcats on ebay recently but was skeptical about them since it's a brand i have not heard of. well after reading this thread im glad to see there are people driving them with success and modding them with ease. i will defiantly keep this brand on the radar as i continue my search for a resonably priced crawler.
skin6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #137

Default RS10 Bodies

Newbie here. Buying a RS10 due to the price, and 4 wheel steering, just for backyard fun. I have a question...Can I make any 1/10 scale body fit on the RS10? With a few modifications of course. I want a Ford F150 to F350. The hummer hatchback is ugly. Thanks for the great work you guyz are doing for this sport and the newbies like myself.
johnmh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 AM   #138
Rock Crawler

Yes any body can be madfe to fit. I have a buddy that used a F150 body off of a radio shack RC that fits perfect. Ill ne running a Losi Grappler comp body on mine as soon as its painted.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #139
Rock Crawler

Just ordered some goodies for the RS10 including STRC bent lowers, internal shock springs, and Deans connectors for all connections. I already have some carbon fiber pieces to make the mounts to flip the upper links as well as some Delrin to make a skid plate. Ill also be using some nitro fuel line on the shock and links instead of the pivot balls. I also have a custom painted Grappler body being painted as we speak!! Pics coming soon!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #140

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply! Im definitly getting one now that I see there will be replacement parts for it, and ways to make this thing better. Ill get some pics of my new F350 body on it when I get it put on. I cant wait !!

Quick question, is the motors that come with the RS10 are they brushed or brushless? and which one is better?

Lets keep this thread going, alot of knowledgible and fun guyz to chat with on here! Us newbies are learning alot.

Last edited by johnmh88; 12-01-2009 at 10:08 AM.
johnmh88 is offline   Reply With Quote