Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: rc motors for dummies (like myself). lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Red face rc motors for dummies (like myself). lol

ok, i know that the rs10xt runs on 380s with a 8 tooth gear on the motor (want to say pinion, but not sure). and as far as the turn ratio (say what again?) and what the difference is between high turn and low turn. im not sure if anyone else has posted the basics of rc brushed motors, but if someone could help educate this nooby on his basics, i would appreciate it.

i want to some day soon upgrade my motors to something that still has quite a bit of torque, but a higher driving speed when im at full throttle. anything i do get i would like to work with a 2s lipo steup. ultimately i would like to have it drive around the same speed as an axial at full throttle but still have enough torque to climb big rocks and steep cliffs.

thanks guys.
KR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: rc motors for dummies (like myself). lol

the turn refers to the number of times wire is wrapped around one section of the armature. the stcok 380 Cans are 27 turn. this is a nice mid range taht gives you plenty of grunt and still maintains some wheel speed. the lower the turn, the fast the motor runs and the lower it's over all torque is. the higher the turn, the more the torque an the less speed.

Pinion is the right term but is also the name of a componet in a shaft driven axel (ring and pinion)
normally a (motor) pinion runs on a Spur gear (largest gear in the transmisson) like you would see in a Axial trasmission, the RS10's Spur is on the on the axle shaft (or spool shaft as i call it).

the idea remains the same, less teeth on the pinion equals lower ratio equals more torque. more teeth on the pinion equals high ratio equals more wheel speed.

General rule of thumb, Gear down and power up. meaning lower gear ratio and more voltage. this gives you the torque you need along with the wheel speed to do dounuts and to hump your way through obsticales. But remimber, more torque means easier broken parts and more voltage means more heat.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

In your opinion, what would be a good setup for something that crawls, but can sling water and mud off its tires instead of just slowly spinning in it? Or as close to it as I'll get with a rockslide? If its still better than just buying a more expensive trail machine and using that instead?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I would upgrade the ESC to something that will support 3s Lipo batteries, upgrade the gears to the steel set from Crawford or ZNO front and rear, metal spur plate and hardened pins from ZNO front and rear, 10t pinion in the front, 8t pinion in the rear. if you still needed more speed from there, then look at the banebot motors for replacement, i am not even sure what turn they are. there is not alot of options in the 380/390 size, everyone favors the 540 motors, which there is a big boy kit that allows you put 540s on the rs10, but clearance becomes a major issue. I have seen a few short 540 can brushless setups, but those motors are made more for high RPMs, it would be great wheel speed, but i don't think the torque would be very desireable. plus add in the cost of dual brushless ESCs, if you comp it might be woht while, for a basher I would think that is just too much money.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok. Thanks for the input Docwolf. I at least have a basic understanding of these motors now.

I won't be changing to brushless, that's for sure. It's going to get dirty and wet and from what I have heard, brushless and water are a big no no. Now that I know how the turn ratio works I can actually understand what I'm looking at. I've seen a couple posts of guys who switched to the big 540 brushed's and I've been interested in just what people think about them. With a full metal gear switch out and higher tooth pinions if that will give me what I'm looking for. I know I was kinda vague last night. Very tired and could barely think straight.

Thanks again for your input

Last edited by KR15; 04-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Just read a list on eBay that says they have the stock 390 motors, but they have them listed as 70t, not 27. And allot of the motors I'm seeing are between 50t and 70t plus.

Is that part mislabeled?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

RS10 was 380 and the RS10XT (current model) is 390. you may be right on the turn, i haven't messed with the stock motors for a long time.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I can't vouch for the 390 motors, but I'm pretty sure the 380 motors were labeled as 70 turn on Redcat's website as a replacement part back when I first bought my RS10.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Hi Guys, this is my 1st post here, gr8 place :0, me too ordered a RS10XT and should be delivered this saturday, i also did research on motor, many places they mentioned the 390 stock motor as 70T, and where as other motors which are more powerful (more torque) as 25T,35T ,,,, so was bit confused.

thanks,
merin

Last edited by merin_83; 04-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.
merin_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yes the 390 motors are a 70-turn.

In reference to speed, I upgraded to 540 size motors, and found a "540 45t" motor identical speed to a "390 70t" motor. But had gobs more torque. In my opinion, 540 35t motors are a good mix between speed and torque in an rs10 (on stick pack or 2s lipo)
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Jackalope. I know also that there is an adapter needed to fit these motors on an rs10xt but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is or where to find them (let alone at a decent price). Any chance you got the 411 on these things?

rc motors for dummies (like myself). lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Berg for Dummies Threads? neillarson EnRoute Berg 6 11-04-2010 02:32 AM
Nomadio for dummies jl_907 Electronics 0 03-25-2008 10:33 PM
Flat skid for dummies Otto Man General Crawlers 2 01-14-2006 07:19 PM
machining for dummies literature? cstmp8r Tools, and Procedures 5 06-19-2005 12:59 AM
" Motors Guide for Dummies" TwistedCreations General Crawlers 3 05-10-2004 05:17 AM