Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Remotely operated lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Remotely operated lights

Ok, this isn't specifically a crawler, but it's applicable, and it's on my Slash, which is 4 wheel drive and way more scale than my Creeper, so it's close enough.

So I wanted to put a set of lights on the 4 Wheel Parts bodied Slash I picked up last week, but wasn't sure how to do it. Of course I wanted to go overboard, make use of channel 3 on my 3PKS, and make them remotely operated. RPM makes a very nice set of lights for the Slash, 4 on the front bumper, 6 on the roof, and tail lights I haven't gotten to yet, so the lights themselves were easy enough. RPM even has a link on their site to another site that sells LED kits specifically for the RPM buckets that can plug directly into the receiver and the price was very little more than it would have cost me in parts and anxiety drugs to make 'em myself. Done deal.

So the lights and the parts to hold them are done easily, if not cheaply, so how do I go about switching them? During a long night of Googling I ran across this:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-DGSW5.html

Perfect! The thing is actually very well thought out. 2 light channels controlled by a single receiver channel. There are... I think it's 9 stages to it based on the pulsewidth going into it. For example, if the knob on the transmitter is all the way to the left, both sets of lights are off, all the way to the right and they're both on. In the middle are various combinations of either channel on, off, or flashing. I put the 4 bumper lights on the first channel, the 6 roof lights on the 2nd channel, and set a trim lever to channel 3, 3 position, plugged everything up, and it worked PERFECTLY on the first try. Absolutely perfectly. Fire up the radio and all the lights are off. One click down and the bumper lights are on. Second click and everything is on. There's one possible catch, though. The specs say it needs up to 5.5 volts from the receiver. The BEC supplies 6v, but I decided to risk it and so far it's kept the smoke in.

Now all I need to do is find someone willing to paint me a new body with clear windows and painted sponsor stickers. The current body has some minor sticker issues (they pulled up on the inside corners, then got dirty, and now won't stick) so it'll be my race body for now, and I need a new body for display, which is where I'll mount the roof lights.

So if you're wanting remotely operated lights, want something cleaner than microswitches on servos, and can't make your own circuit boards, I highly recommend this switch. For $16 it's pretty tough to beat.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

there is also a vendor on this site that makes remote switches for several applications. look under the vendor section his name is HEYOK great guy to deal with here is one of his items
Dual RC Switch for LED lighting or ?
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well crap, if I'd know about that I would have bought one from him.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

be carefull i see those switches are only good up to 6v
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky3 View Post
be carefull i see those switches are only good up to 6v
The switch I used has a max input of 16v and can be paralleled for a 5a load. Max input from the receiver is listed as 5.5v, but is working fine on the 6v output from the ESC's BEC (6v/1a). To use it with other than receiver voltage you ground one pin and connect the load between the supply and another pin.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Can you just run LEDs off of an old servo board? Remove the motor, attach the leds and your done?!?!

Nate
sig_p232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig_p232 View Post
Can you just run LEDs off of an old servo board? Remove the motor, attach the leds and your done?!?!

Nate
yes , here is the thread

homemade pico switch
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Interesting, hadn't thought of that, and I've used an old servo as an ESC for a tiny boat. Now I have to see if I have any stripped servos I haven't rebuilt.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So I found a stripped HS-55 in the toolbox and took it apart. Conveniently enough, the motor and pot are both wired to the board instead of being soldered to it. But I got to thinking about something. When it's "off", isn't the servo's board just going to reverse the polarity of the motor? When I get a chance I'll put a meter on the motor wires and see if the voltage reverses.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

unsure if it would work.. but something like a doorbell switch? so just attach the button to ur remote somewhere lol.. or something

but yeah unsure nice idea though to be able to turn lights ect on/off (:
Liighthead is offline   Reply With Quote