Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Ring and pinion problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ring and pinion problems

I posted on another thread about how my pinion was not meshing or holding mesh with the Ring gear in the diffs and that would cause some terrible clicking/grinding noise and that it was the lack of the outer bearing on the outputs was the problem. Well yesterday i got some Traxxas sealed ones that were the same size...nope still does it. Ive taken the axels apart numerous times and it all looks good. If i take the driveshaft off and hold the output and turn a wheel, i am able to make the R and P skip. its just 10 times worse when its under power. both the front and rear diffs do it.

Could it be that either the ring or pinions are defective and i would need to contact venom or is it something im doing(or didnt do)
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Mine does that too drone time to time. I think that if you shim between the bearing and the pinion gear it will give you a better mesh. I've not gotten around to trying it yet because I don't feel taking it apart just yet because it's not real bad yet. Probly take the pinion to the hardware store and sindva small thin washer to use as a shim would work.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

oddly enough i just might have solved my own problem. I was pulling the diff apart to investigate Abavuso's spacer fix, when i pulled the pinion out i looked at it and wiped off all of the grease. "It shouldn't look like that". I dug through more grease in the casing and found the broken splines from the pinion. the pinion was completely wasted. I know that it was not my fault and it was a manufacturing thing because ONLY the small splines are broken

I opened up the front diff but not the rear however im pretty sure its the same as the front. So a call will be made to Venom ... hopefully they can get my replacements here before my trip in a little more than two weeks
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

see the axle was pregnant and having babies,,,,sorry.

gottorque,,,,I know you know now but for the sake of argument and questions that will be asked later on when we have to link this thread 10-15 times for people......when you take your axles apart,,,clean the internals and regrease them after you inspect everything.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

whether i cleaned them in the past or not is not the point. Ive had the truck for 2 weeks. its ran for all of five minuets, and its sat the rest of the time

...not to mention it has two destroyed pinions. Venom has an email waiting for them
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

what I meant was,,,,you said you had them apart and didnt see the problem right? im not trying to ruffle your feathers bro...just saying,,its good practice to clean when open and regrease before closing
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
what I meant was,,,,you said you had them apart and didnt see the problem right? im not trying to ruffle your feathers bro...just saying,,its good practice to clean when open and regrease before closing
Sorry man. I didnt mean to sound short. Im just slightly frusterated that it has bearly run at all and the entire time i have had the creeper, ive had thoughts about switching to axial axles as a last resort. but if i did that it would rid it the name creeper and the build thread would have to be moved to the ax10 thread.. I will just be patient
Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Sorry man. I didnt mean to sound short. Im just slightly frusterated that it has bearly run at all and the entire time i have had the creeper, ive had thoughts about switching to axial axles as a last resort. but if i did that it would rid it the name creeper and the build thread would have to be moved to the ax10 thread.. I will just be patient
do you have a build thread on the Creeper?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
oddly enough i just might have solved my own problem. I was pulling the diff apart to investigate Abavuso's spacer fix, when i pulled the pinion out i looked at it and wiped off all of the grease. "It shouldn't look like that". I dug through more grease in the casing and found the broken splines from the pinion. the pinion was completely wasted. I know that it was not my fault and it was a manufacturing thing because ONLY the small splines are broken

I opened up the front diff but not the rear however im pretty sure its the same as the front. So a call will be made to Venom ... hopefully they can get my replacements here before my trip in a little more than two weeks
wowowowowowowowow, im pretty sure i was the first to put up this fix. Venom trick and tips FAQ thread!
The washer mod...
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax22 View Post
wowowowowowowowow, im pretty sure i was the first to put up this fix. Venom trick and tips FAQ thread!
The washer mod...

Uh actually they are talking about shimming the pinion not locking the locker
Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I have flm spools madmax
My build thread is here
gottorque's Underground Creeper
Venom emailed me back and he was un shure about what caused it. He suggested it might be some left over flashing from the housing molding process but i didnt see anything. ill look again

Last edited by gottorque; 07-10-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have flm spools madmax
My build thread is here
gottorque's Underground Creeper
Venom emailed me back and he was un shure about what caused it. He suggested it might be some left over flashing from the housing molding process but i didnt see anything. ill look again
i was just looking at your pinion again and seeing as how it has every other tooth missing that almost has to be gear mesh between the pinion and ring gear.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Something is allowing the ring and pinion to move under torque. Did you shim them? Its not an issue with the ring or pinion or you would have snapped several teeth in a row. There is a bind when they rotate, when the gears get to the bind spot, they push away from each other. When they push away, the only weak point is the plastic housing. Check the fit on your bearings in the housing. If they are ovaled out, you found the problem. It is very rare that any manufacturer messes up the heat treat process.
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
i was just looking at your pinion again and seeing as how it has every other tooth missing that almost has to be gear mesh between the pinion and ring gear.
thats my first thought was bad pinion/ ring gear mesh and thought it failled so easy because of bad heat treating, but now i know the latter was not the case
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemachinist View Post
Something is allowing the ring and pinion to move under torque. Did you shim them? Its not an issue with the ring or pinion or you would have snapped several teeth in a row. There is a bind when they rotate, when the gears get to the bind spot, they push away from each other. When they push away, the only weak point is the plastic housing. Check the fit on your bearings in the housing. If they are ovaled out, you found the problem. It is very rare that any manufacturer messes up the heat treat process.
Ill give that a check. I did put better revo sealed bearings in there but that after the pinions failed( i didnt know at that point). Hopefully my replacements from venom get here soon
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #15

Default Same gear mesh issue

Mine did the same front first then rear, venom said they never heard of this issue,but they sent me 2 sets after first issue ,now i need a permanent fix..i too shimmed the front.
BUCKSHOTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOTRC View Post
Mine did the same front first then rear, venom said they never heard of this issue,but they sent me 2 sets after first issue ,now i need a permanent fix..i too shimmed the front.
Venom sent me 2 new pinions a couple of weeks ago looking at the new ones vs. the ones that were from the kit, the kit ones were just plain wrong ones as the new ones looked completely different. but since i put the new ones in ive had no problems what so ever. thanks Venom
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Good to hear you got it sloved and I think you should post up in the TIP AND TRICKS thread about this,,so others will know what to look for if they have the same or similar porblem/s.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #18

I'll wait until it is a proven issue,got an e-mail after the 2nd one reported to venom ...it said .i need to get the 27 turn out of it so i am waiting on the 55 in the mail,also some rovers
BUCKSHOTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Venom sent me 2 new pinions a couple of weeks ago looking at the new ones vs. the ones that were from the kit, the kit ones were just plain wrong ones as the new ones looked completely different. but since i put the new ones in ive had no problems what so ever. thanks Venom
I know you probably have your rig back together and want to keep it that way if it aint breakin but if theres a possibility,,,can you get a pic of the two differnet kinds of pinions side by side?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I know you probably have your rig back together and want to keep it that way if it aint breakin but if theres a possibility,,,can you get a pic of the two differnet kinds of pinions side by side?
ditto, i would like to see it also....
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote