Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: New to the Crawler Scene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Default New to the Crawler Scene

Hi neighbors. I'm in Columbia and am just getting started in this with my son. I ordered him a Wraith RTR kit for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing where he goes with this hobby. We will be starting out totally stock at first and then upgrade as he chooses which direction he wants to head. I got him a 5000mah LiPo battery in an effort to have some longer run times. I ordered from a local hobby shop in Lexington. They had pretty much nothing in the way of crawlers. But he was happy to order what I wanted. You guys deal locally or mail order mostly? Any suggestions for initial upgrades?
Lightninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

welcome to the addiction. check out East Coast RC, ecrchobbies, RC Rock Crawlers. Ryan(ittybiity) and Micheal(limited77) just started this online store and are pretty close to you.

as for upgrades i would suggest starting with the steering. the rtr front axles are junk and will cause major damage to the c-hubs and knuckles quickly. then look at the alum steering parts and a better motor.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #3

What axle would you suggest for a replacement? The one shown on the ECRC site?

Last edited by Lightninn; 12-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The axle is fine, he means mainly the steering components. The aluminum knuckles and tierod and draglink.
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post
What axle would you suggest for a replacement? The one shown on the ECRC site?
AXIAL WRAITH AR60 OCP UNIVERSAL AXLE SET. i have seen alot of problems with the dog bone style shafts that come in the RTR kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_ENERGY View Post
The axle is fine, he means mainly the steering components. The aluminum knuckles and tierod and draglink.
those are nice to have also. they will definitley withstand some abuse. i havent broken one yet.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Welcome!
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Welcome indeed. I'm in Columbia as well, and I also have an RTR Wraith. I'd HIGHLY recommend starting with the steering tie rod and drag link. The stock ones are spaghetti noodles, and are pretty much worthless. After that, some free upgrades to improve its capability are flipping the suspension to lower it (plenty of info on this site) and moving the battery up front. Those are free to do and they have fantastic results. After that, the sky's the limit. One tip: order what you can from ECRC. Good group of local guys and Columbia delivery is almost always within 48 hours. They had links that I wanted when no one else had them... not even the manufacturer, and I got them in 2 days.

Full_Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for great support guys! Lightninn...definitely take a look at our site. If it shows in stock on there that means you could have it next day as long as you order it by 3pm. If you don't see it on the site let me know and I'll make sure to get it as quickly as I can. At this point we do have the following in stock:

VP Tie Rod
VP Drag Link
VP Black Knuckles
VP Black C-hubs
VP Ti Upper Links
VP Ti Lower Links
VP Panhard Kit
VP CMS Kit

Axial Sticky Compound Ripsaw Tires
Axial Universal Axle Set

And those are just the items specifically for the Wraith
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Welcome to the addiction my friend. Looks like these guys have you covered here. We will have to get together at the Zoo here soon.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #10

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will most definately be placing an order with you soon, Ryan -- like today! The last thing I want is to give him this and it break after a few days of use.

I watched an interesting youtube video concerning changing out the steering links. He showed how easily the front wheels can move when the links flex. I agree ugrading them is a must. He strongly suggested a servo saver be installed as well. Have you guys found this to be the case?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Follow East Coast RC on the fan page as well. East Coast RC Fan Page
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

no problem at all. we are willing to help in any way we can. we have probably broken or upgraded anything you could ask about.

as for the servo saver, i have never personally ran one. i have killed alot of metal gear servos also but now that i run a hitec 7955 on the wraith/scaler and 7950 on the XR i have not had any problems. yes they are a little high in price but cheaper in the long run of having to replace the $30-40 servos.

we will be out at cedar falls on sunday if you would like to come by. there will be a few wraiths there with some different setups on each of them. mine is basically a go fast until something snaps type of set up, dutys is set up to crawl with decent wheelspeed, and midlands will have his there also.

G6/KOH run at Cedar Falls 12/10-12/11

here are some of our build threads that may help as well

Mine- TODBLDZ's Wraith build

Dutys- Duty's Short Bus Bronco

Midlands- Midland's Wraith Build

let us know if there is anything we can answer or help with. Ryan at ECRC can also help point you in the right direction on what parts to buy as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Welcome again from all of us. Like others have said, this is truly an addiction. The more you do it, the more you want to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We will try to help you as much as possible. There are comp rig runners and scale rig runners on here that are full of knowledge on either one.
SLPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Welcome to the addiction. If u need a.y help with anything this group of guys will help out any way we can
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for your order Shipping today!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Welcome ! I also have a stock wraith I bought for my Girlfriend. In the process of making it stronger and realiable. First on the list is the Drag and steering link I am also planning on being at Ceadar Falls on Sunday. Hope to see you there!
GEOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Thanks for your order Shipping today!
It's obvious I'm going to have to limit my exposure to this site if I want to keep any of my money!

I noticed on the description of the steering tie rod that there may be a slight rub when running stock tires/wheels. Have you found this to be true?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #18

Thanks for the invite. My son and I will come to an event after Christmas. I don't want to ruin the surprise. He catches on pretty quick!

Ryan - did I order all the items I need to run the upgraded axles?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yes...they are a direct replacement. As for the rubbing I haven't heard back from anyone that that is an issue. I would imagine that slight adjustments to the position or rotation of the rod ends would fix any issues. It's probably the rod ends that hit the inner lip of the wheel since they are larger than stock and are the closest part to the wheels.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #20

Thanks Ryan. I'll take a look at it when I install it.

Well guys - You were right. I ordered from Ryan and Michael at the end of last week and I already have my order in my hand. Gotta give you props for handling the order promptly. Heck, the items I ordered from you got here before my kit did. Sheesh!! Good job guys. Very impressed. I'll be contacting you first the next time I need anything!