Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on the current difficulty levels at our comps?
Keep the current difficulty level with NO changes 6 85.71%
Keep the current difficulty level BUT increase allotted time 1 14.29%
Redue difficulty level... 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Course difficulty...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Course difficulty...

I've been wondering how everyone feels about the current difficulty level of our compeitions. Are we making the courses tougher than they need to be or what? I've noticed more scores ending up in the 30's so it got me wondering. Maybe we need to back off a little...what do you think...and this question is to EVERYONE that attends our comps...EVERYONE!

I see three options to vote on...

1. Keep the difficulty level where it is

2. Keep the difficulty level where it is BUT increase time allotted slightly

3. Reduce difficulty (yes I left the "C" out of the text in the poll )

VOTE

Last edited by ittybitty; 02-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Course difficulty...

Thats kind of what scared me away from getting more into the comp side in the first place. Flopping around on the first gate for the entire time limit just wasnt all that confidence building I guess.

On the other hand Ive really only seen the one comp location and cant really speak for the others. Im sure for you guys that have elevated your game the courses arent that bad, but for some of us guys who want to be a little more casual with it, it is a little intimidating.

I wouldnt say that they need to be easier, but personally I would like to see them a little more straight forward where one gate kind of leads you into the next. Also, the drive or drown gates are kind of scary.

My opinion shouldnt really be worth much, seeing as I havnt really participated. You guys who are national level would probably be bored with something that I would feel challenged by. Maybe a progressive course that gets a little harder each gate would be something to think about? Someone like myself would feel like I accomplished something by making a few gates but the more experienced drivers would have a challenge as well.

I dont know, just opinion. I do know that I saw a huge difference in the level of competition in just a years time. You guys have done a fantastic job in developing SCRCC from nothing and I would say whatever your doing is working so maybe nothing should change?
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

See...that's what I'm talking about. I think we might have fallen into that trap of a few drivers progressing and leaving the less experienced drivers behind. This isn't how we should do things. Our comps should be fun for EVERYONE! I will say that the zoo location is probably the hardest to tame down since most of the transitions are pretty nasty climbs and such. I really think you'd enjoy a comp at Falls Park in Greenville

On another note...just about every gate this past weekend had a way to take it and keep moving SO that should've meant that most drivers could've made it through at least 3 gates on each course. Looking through the scores shows only a handful of scores above 36 which leads me to believe that the gates were capable of being progressed even if you did have to take a gate.

Thanks for speaking up Jason...let's hear some more opinions!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i say keep it the same and some gates need to be a little harder, IMO
i need to be pushed a little harder sometimes and follow through alot more, quit changing my mind after i have already started going
jason12548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'd say keep them the same and add some time. Course three was a pain for a few people me included. Difficult course only makes better drivers. Almost all the gates were doable except for one or two. I will say the comp ran a lot smoother this time than the previous two. With all that being said when's the next comp???
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well there's the complete opposite side of this discussion. When the courses get harder you will either see drivers flounder or get better...hopefully they get better, but the intimidation is the problem that we need to deal with.

I've wondered about pairing people up randomly in the past and letting them work together as a driver/spotter combo. This would be random at each event. Not only can it improve the drivers results, but it also helps the spotter. Both people learn to spot new lines and use new techniques. Any interest in trying something like this once?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Well there's the complete opposite side of this discussion. When the courses get harder you will either see drivers flounder or get better...hopefully they get better, but the intimidation is the problem that we need to deal with.

I've wondered about pairing people up randomly in the past and letting them work together as a driver/spotter combo. This would be random at each event. Not only can it improve the drivers results, but it also helps the spotter. Both people learn to spot new lines and use new techniques. Any interest in trying something like this once?
I like this idea. You for one knows a spotter helps me out.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Marcus and I stepped off after he ran the finals course and he walked me through one of the courses. It was nice to be able to just focus on what I was doing and kinda have someone else there to direct you to the next gate.

I hate to say that I need somebody there to hold my hand but it was a good way for me to learn what the hell I was doing.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I enjoyed the courses this weekend. They were very tough for me but I think it's probably because it was my first time on these rocks and seeing any of these lines. I got through every gate except one when I was just practicing afterward. So they were doable, even by a novice. I remember when I first started crawling at my testing spot. Every line was hard. Some seemed impossible. Now, nothings hard there, because I have been over and over on every inch of those rocks. I think some easier courses for the first couple would be good to instill some confidence and reduce frustration in those of us less skilled. But that said, some of you guys are seasoned drivers and still need to be challenged also. The rest of us will get only as good as our "rock time" will allow. I work a lot and have too many other responsibilities, so crawling will only be a way to release tension for me, win or lose. But with 4 courses, they could get progressively harder to have something for all levels of drivers. For what it's worth.

Last edited by strato54; 02-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.
strato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I like the challenge of harder gates but I don't like having to "take" gate #1...maybe make the first couple of gates easier. This will be good for newbies as they might get discouraged if they can't progress a single gate. I really enjoyed the finals course Saturday. Course 4....not so much.
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i chose keep it the same, though i have only run one comp, and that time i finished mid course with an unfamiliar truck.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
I like the challenge of harder gates but I don't like having to "take" gate #1...maybe make the first couple of gates easier. This will be good for newbies as they might get discouraged if they can't progress a single gate. I really enjoyed the finals course Saturday. Course 4....not so much.
I'll agree course one and two were fun the last two a PITA.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

if you guys are getting 30's,you need to make em much harder
richardgarrett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I like how the courses are, but I also understand where Ryan is coming from. Perfect example is with Jeremy, new guy coming with a shafty. Luckily he is familiar with racing rc's so he knows what it's like to drop some dough on rc's, but from time to time we get new guys I think our courses would scare them off (possibly) When I comped in Indiana this is what kept our hobby from growing. Started with about 15-18 drivers by the end of the season all the shafty's quit showing up. Just about 6 bergs were at the comps. I did vote to keep them the same in the poll due to the fact the group we have are pretty familiar with comps and run MOA's, but I think if we have some new faces maybe a milder first 4 gates so that possibly with a little skill they could finish maybe one course.
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

me and my son are complete newbs.in my opinion for what its worth is leave it alone. ya, couple of courses where intimidating but what i have seen watching others and asking a top driver to spot ya helps alot.we had a great time and enjoyed the last comp.
MAXIMUM777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIMUM777 View Post
me and my son are complete newbs.in my opinion for what its worth is leave it alone. ya, couple of courses where intimidating but what i have seen watching others and asking a top driver to spot ya helps alot.we had a great time and enjoyed the last comp.
I am glad you enjoyed it and your boy's rig is looking GOOD! He is definitely anxious to be a top contender and its only a matter of time Hope to see ya again at the next comp!
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

thanks,both of us have been bitten by the bug.we learn something new at every comp and a lot of that is because the good people there to help out.thats what keeping us hooked.
MAXIMUM777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I say leave it the same... If u wanted to do anything for the newbes build 2 easy courses and 2 hard ones. Make it to where the last 2 will thin out all the perfect scores

Make the courses harder u for got that one Ryan.
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

thats a really tough call. i think everything is going well as is.

i know my "A" game has been way off this year and i havent performed as i would like but everyone has rough spells. i havent had any drive time lately and thats one thing i want to bring to peoples attention. you cant drive your rig once a month and expect to do well. practice makes perfect and the more you drive, learn your rig, your rigs capabilties, how it reacts in certain situations, and drive gates will get you more comfortable on comp days.

i do see the point of people shying away from the comps because of the difficulty level. i personally think everyone needs to be pushed in order to get better. if you decrease the difficulty, i would suggest cutting the time to push the drivers on that aspect. there is alot of strategy involved in this sport. knowing what your rig will/won't do is the main thing you need to know to help you decide what gates to attempt or take out to finish the courses.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

VERY well said Todd...thanks!

Course difficulty... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difficulty finding a nice mounting position for a Goat 3s neo Axial SCX-10 9 03-28-2010 02:56 PM
Having difficulty filling shocks? liketocrawl Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 10-12-2008 01:34 AM
Difficulty with RCC Vendor whoodie Chit Chat 0 01-25-2008 01:30 PM
Difficulty of installing rear steer on TQ3 bill400ex Electronics 13 06-16-2007 09:10 AM