Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawl Spec Retrac - Bully Style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Oh yeah, I've already driven it a couple times. Just cleaning it up a bit at this point.

The 55t motors are a little slow on 3 cells, so I am thinking of just running 2 of my 3 cell packs in series . Maybe I should order some spare gears.
Well, I haven't seen anyone run the newer cases with the extra gear, but the others definately have issues. But I would imagine these are stronger having an extra gear and all. I say do it!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the most important part finished.

The body mounts...

I tried the easy way out with side posts, but upon test running I remember why I hate side posts. So, top mounts it is.
Attached Images

SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

The body mounts are attached to the stationary 'keyed' chassis, so no matter what length is selected, the body stays in the same place.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Tried out the 6 cell today and most fun I have had with an rc in quite a while. No breakage and nothing got over warm to the touch during the 30 minute run. I just have to clean up the birds nest and locktight a couple screws and it will be ready for ECC.

Also, I finally did the modifications to put a lipo in the React. Made a world of difference. Previously, I used a rechargeable 4 cell nimh pack and it would only last about 20 minutes. After putting in the lipo, I left the TX on for about 2 hours while I was working on the truck, then ran the truck for 30 min. It will be a much more relaxing experience, not having to worry about the TX battery dying mid course.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Drawing up some new mounts for the HS-7980 going on the front. Would be nice to put one out back as well, but that will have to wait for my wallet to recover from this one.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I've got servo envy - lol!
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #47
Just jump it!

Looking good. I have one of those servos waiting at home to go in my rig.

Hows the delrin hexes holding up? That really has me curious. Especially after you 6 cell romp!!!
You think they might develop slop faster than the aluminum ones?
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post

Hows the delrin hexes holding up? That really has me curious. Especially after you 6 cell romp!!!

The hexes are holding up great. In fact, I have a hard time pulling the wheels off because they are such a tight fit.

It's still a little early to tell about the wear versus aluminum, but so far I have had no issues. The hexes still look like they did when they came off the router.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Very tight fit. I can't even fit a piece of paper between the servo and the motor. I'm using the pinions that came with the axles. If I had any smaller pinion, the servo would not fit. I can only use the front row of mounting holes on the axles, due to the servo being flush with the axle tube. But even with 2 screws holding the mount, the assembly won't budge.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Very cool, can't wait to try those servos. Nice work on this rig, one of the most interesting designs for sure.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:

Like Sven said Bender made clod/txt hexes out of delrin years ago, and I am still running those hexes with no sings of slop. Been beating on them for 4ish years now on a TXT with a puller and 4S power.

Looking great Sven! Lots of good ideas and trick parts on this one!! You coming out for Vanquish?
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #52
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
Like Sven said Bender made clod/txt hexes out of delrin years ago, and I am still running those hexes with no sings of slop. Been beating on them for 4ish years now on a TXT with a puller and 4S power.

Looking great Sven! Lots of good ideas and trick parts on this one!! You coming out for Vanquish?
Cool. Guess that delrin is more durable than i thought.

Like the way you mounted that 7980!! I am trying to figure out how to stuff mine in there . Guess i will get to cutting the delrin!!!

Did you ever get your aluminum steering linkage cut? I saw some 3/8 delrin rod in some of the pics, you using that on the rear?

Last edited by rottenbelly; 06-03-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Very cool, can't wait to try those servos. Nice work on this rig, one of the most interesting designs for sure.
Thanks! I don't like being trapped inside boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post

Thanks busted! I am going to try to make it. If I do, it will only be for Super class.

Quote:
Cool. Guess that delrin is more durable than i thought.

Like the way you mounted that 7980!! I am trying to figure out how to stuff mine in there . Guess i will get to cutting the delrin!!!

Did you ever get your aluminum steering linkage cut? I saw some 3/8 delrin rod in some of the pics, you using that on the rear?
I never did the aluminum steering link. I have been using some 5/16 round delrin and have not had any issues with it. It is up out of the way for the most part and has hardly any scratches.

Let me know if you need a mount cut for the 7980 or even a standard servo. I can do both.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #54
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Thanks! I don't like being trapped inside boxes.

Thanks busted! I am going to try to make it. If I do, it will only be for Super class.

I never did the aluminum steering link. I have been using some 5/16 round delrin and have not had any issues with it. It is up out of the way for the most part and has hardly any scratches.

Let me know if you need a mount cut for the 7980 or even a standard servo. I can do both.
Thanks a ton!! I will let ya know in the next couple days on that servo mount.
I have to get my mini ready for a comp this weekend so it's gonna be Monday before I get back to the super.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Redesigned the 7980 mount. The original felt very solid, but I wanted more security than two screws could provide.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #56
Just jump it!

OOOOOHHHH Nice!!!!!
Looks ALOT stronger. Nice and simple design.

Did you have to grind into the axle tube any with that?
Edit, I see you said it was flush with tube.

I still need to see what pinions i have in theses axles!!
Been busy making dremel dust with these huge links!!

Cant wait to put it on the rig next week.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OOOOOHHHH Nice!!!!!
Looks ALOT stronger. Nice and simple design.

Did you have to grind into the axle tube any with that?
Edit, I see you said it was flush with tube.

I still need to see what pinions i have in theses axles!!
Been busy making dremel dust with these huge links!!

Cant wait to put it on the rig next week.
Thanks!

Hopefully you have the stock pinions, because I don't know if it will work with any pinion smaller than stock.

The mount pictured is actually yours. One thing I forgot to take a picture of is the 1/16" spacers, in case you want the servo to be a little higher above the bottom of the axle.

No grinding necessary.

I do suggest assembling the mount and servo (as shown in the 2nd and 3rd pics above) before screwing it to the axle; leaving the two black screws on the back row a little loose until the others are tight. It will make the process much easier. Also when screwing the mount to the axle, screw the counter sunk screw down most of the way before trying to do any of the front row screws.

Let me know if that is clear as mud.

Last edited by SVEN; 06-10-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Interesting as i thought i was using stock pinions but couldn't seem to get it to fit on mine without having to do some serious grinding...

What size are your cans? I'm running Phantom Blitz...
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
Interesting as i thought i was using stock pinions but couldn't seem to get it to fit on mine without having to do some serious grinding...

What size are your cans? I'm running Phantom Blitz...
I'm running Holmes Hobbies 55t motors. Not sure on the physical dimensions of the can, but I will find out.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Oops, I forgot to check my motor size for ya. My Holmes can is 1.421 inches in diameter.

Made some Super Sedonas. I used the rim of a 40 series moab and the tread of the Sedonas. The Plowboys are still great, I just need something new. I still need to get some foams to fill them out....and build the other 3 tires .
Attached Images

Tags
bully, super