Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: Project Farm truck toyota Hilux 58028 Pearly white.. hah!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Project Farm truck toyota Hilux 58028 Pearly white..UPDATE Candy Lime Green! Paint!

Hello everyone! well im going on new years holiday break from work for the next 4 days, so i thought I'd do some tinkering to my Favorite tiny truck toys!
and none other than a tamiya pickup toyota hilux 58028

well surely isnt the pearly white you may have thought of, i consider this a barn find classic haha, in need of some love. Purchased off ebay not long ago.. ill be tearing this truck down.. and fixing her back up! She will be a runner!

The cab has damage to the passenger pillar... such a shame... this cab and bed and grill have neverrrr seen paint!!! But somebody sure did roll it... jump it and kick it a few times!! haha breaks my heart..

any ways ill try and repair if my styrene skills are up to par! or replace this cab with a modern hilux cab!

I need better pics! i already know and i will get some shortly! sorry for the poor lighting! it is raining for days here! when it clears up ill snap better shots!

as of right now ive stripped the chassis.. took a scotch bright pad and shined up the aluminum frame.. cross members and such.

also worked great on the axles! gears are in great condition front and rear axles!.. relubed! checked the transmission! Aikaarummba! were good to go here to! Cant believe it, but lucky me!

i had one knuckle arm break in transit to me, ahh packing not so well for the journey from evil bay to me! lol plan on replacing these knuckles with bruiser knuckles are finding replacements if i do in time... reason being i love the stock hilux steering links... smaller diameter! So scale!

anyways enough rambling for today!

stay tuned, will update and work on this thread frequently as i get to do more!

as my first build thread go easy on me! hehe!

here are some teaser pictures untill i get some more down tomaro hopefully!

comments, suggestions, welcome! Lets bring back some more old school builds!!

regards,

Michael.
Attached Images

Last edited by yota trail finder; 01-09-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: new paint scheme!
yota trail finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Project Farm truck toyota Hilux 58028 Pearly white.. hah!

more pics that didnt upload first go round ?!? LOL
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I will get some better quality and more light pictures... my crappy phone ughh.. lol.

but so far chassis is semi cleaned.. axles are still off .. fresh lube'd.. decide on what to do with the body.. clean that up some and find a new cab.. or fixer up...

more to come soon my friends! Im off to finiish these last few hours of work for this week! Then im off Thursday throught Sunday for new years shut down! Woot Woot. so plenty of time to tinker on the rigs!

-michael-
Old 12-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sweet another build in the bruiser section.. Lol!!!!

Great start and find. I say fix the cab an keep it original.

Sent from my 2500HD
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
Sweet another build in the bruiser section.. Lol!!!!

Great start and find. I say fix the cab an keep it original.

Sent from my 2500HD
You bet Richard! Gone be fun! Thanks buddy!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

more pictures of the damage'd cab..and sort of cleaned up chassis so far. radio box great shape! one tab broke off so previous owner fabbed aluminum tab lol! more to come soon! enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

cleaning up the transmission now.. the gears are in great shape.. shifts smooth.. not much run time surprisingly! removing the gunky sealant at the moment!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looking good.. Are you going to run the stock springs or upgrade them to bruiser springs?

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 12-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Looking good.. Are you going to run the stock springs or upgrade them to bruiser springs?

Sent from my 2500HD
thanks! not sure at the moment.. haha. stock springs are very stiff .. but also give a low profile stance.. most likley ill build a set of bruiser springs consisting of bruiser main.. and a helper or two! ive got plenty of spare leafs sitting around so just got to decide!

i need to start cleaning the bed and think of a color choice for this rig!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Great find. I have a few of these beauties. A couple are daily runners. I replaced the bushings with bearings. They will run so much better. I even have a couple that I modified for full time 4 wd.
Great start. More pics please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ana View Post
Great find. I have a few of these beauties. A couple are daily runners. I replaced the bushings with bearings. They will run so much better. I even have a couple that I modified for full time 4 wd.

Full time 4wd? I've heard of this mod! Can you share how to do this mod? Hah I will have more pics soon, I have a couple of these trucks to I will have to post some pics in the pic thread! And I need to do bearings throughout also! All in time

Thank you for comments!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

so how about weather came out alright today... been raining for days off and on... dry today! and i have had this re release hilux cab sitting on the shelf.. was my tamiya putty experiment cab .. was testing out.. filling in body holes... poor job lol but good scapegoat for some tan paint for this rig!habve had this can of military tan camo paint laying around.. idk if this color choice will stay, but i have to order some more paints.. i have had this tan paint for a while now and i said wat the heck will look 10x better than the dirty stained white stock look it had goin on..

so i cleaned up and sanded the body some with some 1000 grit sand paper.. and scotch brite pad mix.. soaked the paint can in the sink of warm water, while i rinsed the body parts.. then headed out back on the old bench for some paint fumes! came out ok and is currently drying.. first light coats on are.

i was in the process of moving the cab for repositioning.. and whhhhhhooooooops.. it fell and landed in the leafs and had alot of debree stuck to it hahah... i gave it a light misting to cover up some now leafy empty spots.. which is a no no ( probly should let it dry an re sand .. re paint.. but oh well this is quick test paint job.)

any ways heres some pics!

and a pic of my fav energy booster juice! lol

still have the grill and interior to paint up.. waiting for some paints off ebay.. should be a week or two before they get here.

on to the pics..
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

monster energy rocks!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ana View Post

i love these trucks also.. hilux and bruisers are my favorite! i have a list of the bearings i need to get in order to bearing a trans.. and axles also.. i can do it.. well all except the hard to get to bushings or the ones that need machining. so ill do all the easy ones eventually! you may share some pictures of your hilux rigs if you would like! may need to chat with you about that 4wd mod.. i have a couple spare hilux trans.. i can tinker with one and see how i fare on the 4wd mod! please leme know!

thank you!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

the paint job is a very light tan sand mix.. if i do keep this color for a while.. im thinking about going two toned.. so maybe ill mask up some lines.. or old toyota stripes and do a tan and black mix! Ive seen this paint brand comparable to tamiya paints.. called Mr Hobby which consists of lots of colors and styles.. im thinking about getting some different colors to do the fine detailing once it gets to this stage!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I actually like the color, don't see it to often.. An id like some more information on the full time 4wd??

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 01-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I actually like the color, don't see it to often.. An id like some more information on the full time 4wd??

Sent from my 2500HD
hey Richard! me to! ive heard of this mod.. read about it somewhere at one time.. never seen how it was done tho.. or had anyone tell me how.. maybe we will find out from this kind gentleman if he knows the way! lol
Old 01-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

the tan reminds me of the stock 1:1 color option of tan.. always have wanted a tan one! and chinos toyota kinda was tan! that was a fav of mine to!
Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

got the body inside... got the axles mounted to the chassis... dug these 1.9 one piece machined wheels out the rc pile.. threw on some terribly done cut down 1.9 tsl proline tires.. to 1.55.. and they are stretching on these 1.9.. well they are old and most the seems done ripped lol... this is just to do a quick mock up anyways.. although tsls look mean... ill have to do up a set nicely then!

paint looks decent! whole truck looking decent now haha.. i need some black spray paint to do a two tone paint job... gona be a couple days unless i just run to the local hardware tomaro and grab some real quick.

still got to work on the grill... find a glass windsheild to install... and install trans... take out all these old electronics and install newer stuff!

getting there!

pics to enjoy!

thanks!

-Michael-
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

the front axle bruiser gaurd is coming off lol! looks hideous on there.. just for giggles to see how it would look... gota go! and yup im missing a hub plastic cover! and this paint in these photos from my cell phone is coming out like a off white... in person its more of a milk tan .. maybe a couple more coats.. or find a tab darker shade to over shadow it with ! idk ill tinker and think on it! thats its for now... still have the trans soaking.. then scrub off gunk sealant.. .. then install...

untill then! enjoy!

Project Farm truck toyota Hilux 58028 Pearly white.. hah! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux 58028 wheels on Bruiser TamiyaFreak Tamiya Bruiser 1 08-29-2014 12:57 PM
Project Farm Truck - Axial SCX10 with Tamiya F350 body TrailSnail 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 07-13-2014 09:38 PM
ScaleReady's Flatbed Hilux farm truck build ScaleReady 1.5 Scale Rigs 11 05-14-2013 10:32 PM