Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Will this work ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Will this work ok?

55t integys
10t pinions
3 cell lipo

Each axle is powered by it's own sidewinder and battery.
I've read and read and read and seems everybody runs something diffrent. I'm just looking to get a base here. I'm sporting a pimp and will be competingin our super class
Her's a pic so far
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That set up should work well. Will you be running a stick radio to take full advantage of your independent ESC's?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
That set up should work well. Will you be running a stick radio to take full advantage of your independent ESC's?
Yes, modded sx600
Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Cool, I could never get used to a stick set up on my Super, but it's a great way to go for absolute control
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

yea it's way diffrent. I'm using the same radio on my 2.2 so Hopefully I can get it down pretty quick. Stick cost me 2 gates though at last comp lol. It wasn't modded yet.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #6

sticks are just too tough to manage for me. i am hoping that somebody will make a pistol grip with an additional steering "knob" for the thumb that would allow a rear stear while will using the same hand for throttle. i would build it myself if i had any clue how to wire it up. i know exacly what i want for form/function but lack the technical prowess to execute...oh well.

Nice pimp setup BTW.
RB_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Steve View Post
sticks are just too tough to manage for me. i am hoping that somebody will make a pistol grip with an additional steering "knob" for the thumb that would allow a rear stear while will using the same hand for throttle. i would build it myself if i had any clue how to wire it up. i know exacly what i want for form/function but lack the technical prowess to execute...oh well.

Nice pimp setup BTW.
a guy did it with a tq3 a while back. he had 2 knobs on it. it shouldnt be too hard to wire up....the knobs still only use 3 wires on most of them
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
55t integys
10t pinions
3 cell lipo

Each axle is powered by it's own sidewinder and battery.
I've read and read and read and seems everybody runs something diffrent. I'm just looking to get a base here. I'm sporting a pimp and will be competingin our super class.
I run dual MM's, BM16 brushless outrunners, one CC BEC, dual Hitec 5955 TG's, and one single lipo. I use a DX7 for a controller and a BR6000 for a receiver.

The Integy motor will have nearly no drag brake in a Super, especially with 10 tooth pinions. So be prepared for that. Gearing way down will help some, like maybe 6 tooth pinions.

You really only need one lipo and I would suggest a 3S of at least 3000mah.

My first Super was a pimp cane clod, here is my build thread, maybe you can find something useful in it for you:
N.A.'s "Grumpy" (My pimp cane clod super)

This is my current Super:
SWuper build #2

Good luck
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I agree. No need for dual battery packs, really. I've been running two power hungry brushless motors and speed controllers on my Hustler Clod, with an 8 cell NiMh pack and I've been able to get 1 hour of run time in the house, crawling over whatever I can find. I imagine outside, once it's spring, I'll get less, but 20-40 mins should be possible.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

ok. I was going to power each axle with a 1500 3 cell lipo. They fit right on the axle braces. Thought I could use them as weight also Due to having a 1/4 scale servo on the other side.
I just didn't like the fact of having say an 8 cell pack in little 2 packs everywhere lol Maybe I can get 2 4 cell bricks made up and wire them together and put those on the axles? A food for thought. Lipo would give me the extra umph though I think. Maybe a 10 cell nimh
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Personally, I try to protect my lipos. They are soft and could get punctured real easy by rock if it's just sitting out on top on of the axle. You also don't need any weight to get a Super size pimp cane to flex. They have too much flex and need bracing to control the flex and strengthen the back bone.

A 1500 lipo is small though and would not last long if you only ran one to both axles. You would get through one course at a comp though. It would also depend on the C rating on the lipo to. 1/4 scale servos can suck a lot of power and the 1500 size lipo might not be up to the challenge.

8 cell nimh (9.6V) and 3S lipo (11.1V) is only a difference of 1.5 volts. It's slighty noticable, but not hugely. If you have room to mount knuckles packs, it's great because the weight is down low and NiMh doesn't have discharge issues like lipo.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Personally, I try to protect my lipos. They are soft and could get punctured real easy by rock if it's just sitting out on top on of the axle. You also don't need any weight to get a Super size pimp cane to flex. They have too much flex and need bracing to control the flex and strengthen the back bone.

A 1500 lipo is small though and would not last long if you only ran one to both axles. You would get through one course at a comp though. It would also depend on the C rating on the lipo to. 1/4 scale servos can suck a lot of power and the 1500 size lipo might not be up to the challenge.

8 cell nimh (9.6V) and 3S lipo (11.1V) is only a difference of 1.5 volts. It's slighty noticable, but not hugely. If you have room to mount knuckles packs, it's great because the weight is down low and NiMh doesn't have discharge issues like lipo.
That makes pure sence Nova. I never thought about the 1/4 scale drain till you brought it up. I don't have room with these nuckles for packs on them. Won't I have to kinda equal out the weight distrubution on the axle? I know already I need a stiffner. I showed JP a flex pic and he said yep lol I just weighed 4 c's compared to a servo and they are nearly identicle. (hillbilly weighing style lol) !0 cells would be too much for the sidewinder anyway.
I may have to contact chris the battery man lol.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I don't think balancing the weight from side to side is as important like getting weight down low. A low center of gravity can sometimes fix and uneven side to side weight. I had to weight this rig a lot to make it work and I came up with some creative solutions.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yeah, get yourself some JP knuckles and build a custom pack to fit them. Each knuckle holds 4 cells, so you can build anything up to that amount, or less.

I built a couple 4 cell packs for my front knuckles, and wired them in series, for 8 cells total. If you really wanted to, I guess you could do 16 cells in series, but that's overkill. 8 in front, 8 in the rear, and the wire harness to get them all connected would be twice as much work. To run two ESCs off one pack, made from two 4 cell packs in series, already is a lot wires!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

That looks sweet man. Yea, That would be a ton of wiring. If I run larger cap. Batteries should be fine anyway. Looks like knuckle packs are the way to go. Wish they'd fit on my rc4wd knuckles lol. These things are money pits. I just rebuilt my 2.2 and scratch built this and the wife is starting to freak lol
Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Tell me about it! Anyone who gets into this hobby because they think it's an affordable alternative to other hobbies.....well, it cracks me up.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yea, I hear ya there Espee. If it wasn't for the vendors and for sale section here this stuff would never be possible. Great deals can be found here by some really cool people!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Great build,gave me some good ideas on my scratch build stick.The nuckles that were mentioned are awsome,much wider.I've been using 12 cells of nicd (2 6 cell in parallel).Recently,I tried a 9 cell nimh 10.8 volts,what a differance.And the run time was simmular.
smokin0137 is offline   Reply With Quote