Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Project Sarge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #41
RCC Addict

I had 40wt in them and it was TERRIBLE but that might be the shocks. They are pretty crappy. I went down to 15wt and they are nice.

I think my truck is to light for stock maxx springs.

I think I know what I'm going to try on my next set of foams. I might doodle up a few designs tomorrow at work and post them.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

For springs try Hot Bodies Threaded shocks, they work nicely (4") With Duratrax Soft Springs. 30wt works good for that setup too.
PastryLikeDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

NO four wheel drive??????in the video only the back tire were spinning :-?. that is the nicest clod i have seen in a while props to you man... props to you
ROCK god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK god
NO four wheel drive??????in the video only the back tire were spinning :-?. that is the nicest clod i have seen in a while props to you man... props to you
In the first video the rims weren't glued to the tires.... The rest it had 4wd
Old 01-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Well I must say I have really learned a lot about suspension in past week. After perfecting my search button skills I went to the lhs and picked up some wheels, tires, and some lose springs. The rims were in a clearence box so I decided to buy them and hack them up. See how hard narrowing was. They are ugly rims but the cutting and glueing turned out good. Mounted up some mashers to them with no foams to see how they sat. Definitely squishy. I didnt' get to run them yet but hopefully tonight.

I rebuilt the shocks (again......) with 15 wt oil and losi springs. Ran 1.8 rate up front and 2.0 rate in the back. I think this setup is a little soft though. It really dropped ride height a lot but I must say it really did climb better. I also found a spot that was binding the lower links so I solved that issue. Here are a few shots.

With the narrowed wheels on the back.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:14 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome mate

Love the all black ! Un-bling !
Shorty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #47
MODERATOR™

And here I was thinking how dare he be calling them HPI wheels ugly!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Bigred got his bead lock rings sent out to me to test. Mounted them up to the narrowed RPM wheels I chopped up. So far they seem good. We'll see how they hold up on rocks soon.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Dayum, looks great! Awesome work. Wanna get rid of it? Im sure no but it worth a try.
xtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #50
RCC Addict

that looks awsome. yeah can tell you lost a little ride height but i think that it will articulate better. i am running the losi springs in mine. i think that i have 2.0 in front and 2.5 in the rear. the only thing is that my battery weighs it down. i need to get a custom pack and mount it on the axles. i like those rock rings too.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:44 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635
that looks awsome. yeah can tell you lost a little ride height but i think that it will articulate better. i am running the losi springs in mine. i think that i have 2.0 in front and 2.5 in the rear. the only thing is that my battery weighs it down. i need to get a custom pack and mount it on the axles. i like those rock rings too.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to bump the spring rates up. Not sure to what yet. I also really want to get the battery pack mounted in the bottom of the chassis. I have some sanyo 3000mah nicd I might use to make a custom pack for it. I've been wanting to get my revised chassis (allows stick pack mounting in the bottom) done but the shop has been so busy and I can't get any machine time.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

man that is sick now all i need to do is learn how to build something equally excellent so anyone with ideas post on my thread "suggestions please"
Inclodneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Looking badass Nick... get them shocks figured out already!
-Casey
chambiec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:36 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for referring me to this site mang. I can't wait to see how your truck is coming along, and I can't wait to get started on my build-up.
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Haven't had time to do anything. I ordered a set of traxxas front wheels from the hobby shop. they are in so I gotta go pick them up. gonna get springs while i'm there. took it out yesterday at lunch and did some crawling. It's definitely getting close. I'd like to run the front tires foamless though. I can't get the fronts to bite that much.... I'm thinking about running bb's or getting some of those wheel weights they use for balancing car tires and adhering them to the rims where the foam usually goes. We were playing front end weight by taping a bolt under the lexan body and man it was amazing the climbing difference it made. I think its illegal to run weights on a lexan body in comps though so I'll put the weight on the wheel/axle
Old 02-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #56
RCC Addict

yeh i tried the star idea. It was better but it still wasn't anything compared to not running foams. I have some really soft foam from work that already has an egg shape pattern to it. I might try that.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Ok finally a few pics. I didn't get to change the springs out because the ones I bought were 2.5" and not 2.75" like my previous ones. Oh well. I did get the blue birds hooked up. I don't have aluminum servo horns yet but used the plastic ones that came with them. Good enough to see how they work and I must say I am impressed. I have them running from my Tekin right now. I'm waiting for the receiver pack to get here. It's amazing the difference these things make when crawling. Ok on to a few pics.

Gotta love body damage

Servo mounted up

Made a batt pack to fit inside the chassis. Nice and low CG. Just need to seal it up.

not much left to do now. I'd like to get some nice functional beadlocks and imex all t's for diff clearence to try out. I'm working on a beadlock idea now to clear clod knuckles and look scale. Also going to try and get some weight up front so I might just play with the receiver pack placement.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Been there thought about all that.

No axle braces on my axles and I don't like the look of electronics on the front axle. I still want something somewhat scale.

As for the weight. I've thought about bb's or adding weights to the rims but I don't want to add weight to rotating parts. More work for the motors. Plus if I mount it on the body i get a little leverage action since the weight will be in front of the axle. Shouldn't be to high either since I am running the lower suspension. I'll play with it. It might kill me when trying to down steep stuff, we'll see. Like I said, I just don't want to add weight for the motors to turn.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #59
RCC Addict

IMO the lighter the wheels the better. What do you think? Yes more weight ON the wheels helps but i'm thinking of the motors having to work to rotate heavier mass.

I'm trying to make up a pair of plastic wheels with aluminum beadlocks. I might stick with plastic but aluminum looks better and is still light.

Wanna get rid of some 2.2 moabs?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Finally a step further. I think I might have the suspension fixed. Picked up 8 stock maxx shocks for $20 on ebay. I have all the steering taken off the truck right now for the beadlocks i'm working on so I decided to go ahead and get the suspension done up right. Put on the losi springs and mounted the shock upside down (center of gravity) and also used a neat trick I read about somewhere on the board. (thanks to whoever had the idea) I used silicone fuel line for a "bushing" mount on the top of the shock. Worked PERFECTLY. No slop and it has movement.

Might as well post up a few pics of the wheel setup I'm working on. Gone Wheelin came up with a sweet beadlock system using conduit reducing washers. Only problem was with clod steering knuckles you barely have room for the setup on the backside of the wheel. I thought of a couple options. Either find another size washer to work or cut off the excess ring on the steering knuckles. I really didn't want to do option two but someone in the tire section ended up trying it with success. So I got dremel happy

Stock traxxas front wheel and clod steering knuckle

Trimmed steering knuckle. I took off as much material as possible without taking anything away from the bracing on the inside or outside.

Here's the wheel cut roughly to about 1" but not glued together yet.

After the inner washer is added to each side of the wheel it will bring the width to 1.25"

Now I just have to drill 32 holes through 16 washers and have them line up.

Also got in my aluminum servo horns and recevier pack for the blue birds. Cant wait until these wheels are finished.