Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: I Need Help With New Clod!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I Need Help With New Clod!

got a super clod 2 days ago, was home maybe 2hours the day i got it, so yeh..but anyways, i got the pack with the futaba controller and the 2 servos, i got everything together, when i connect the battery, even with the switch off it goes on and the wheels start spinning like hell, i rechecked thw wiring atleast 4 times and its how it says to be, i guess ill check again..anyone know what may be up with this thing?
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i also got a spare traxxas rustler with the tq3 2019 reciever xl-1 speed controler and 1 motor, would any of that work with the clod stuff?
clod has stock 3ws, but if i have to take it off for everything to work right and steering to be better, then its no problem, cause right now, steering sucks
Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like you have a mechanical speed control and needs to be centered. Unscrew the MSC and then move the MSC reostat to where the wheels stop moving, make sure your radio is all centered also, and then re tigten the MSC, should work now.
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

im such a noob, but wheres the MSC? i have one of those things that connects to the throttle servo and it has that like swivvle thinger..do you think the stuff from the rustler would work?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i got it to work for a little, untill i tried seeing that power mode does..then it stopped working and started actiung up again, switched it back to economy, same thing, tried fixing it, nothing works..if anyone have any ideas of whats going on, please help me, once i can get everything working right, im ordering a CPE evo chassis, but i wanna get everything working first..any help would be appreciated

Rat
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

which did you turn on first the truck or radio you always turn the radio on first if you dont the truck will take off
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Read your instructions I almost guarantee that an MSC is not set correctly like shown in the instructions.

Ok, this isn't hard, to do.

Take the wheels off the truck. Set the truck on a table or Floor.
Turn on the radio (the thing you hold in your hand)
Loosen the servo horn on the throttle servo (keep the screw away from moving parts) Plug in the battery and turn on the truck.
You should have something attached to the servo horn that you took off right? Try moving that into a different position. Untill the wheels stop moving. Did this help? Tighten the servo horn down onto the servo. If the wheels start to spin slowly adjust the throttle trim until it sits at rest. (You did center the trims before hand yes?)

Also when you tell the truck to go forward does it look like it wants to go forward or backward? If the direction is different then switch the throttle reversing switch the other way on the radio. You might have to reset the MSC again. Now you should be able to change into power or economy mode easily. You can try using your Traxxas ESC but I'm not sure it will have the capability of running twin silver cans in parrallel if if you would have to run them in series, which is so much slower.

If you need any more help feel free to ask me.... tweekerzach@msn.com
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

im doing as your said in your reply right now, but one question..well actualy 2..in the instructions, they show "when not using reciever battaries"..the futaba came with a lil thing to hold 4 batts, if i do it like the "no reciever batt" instructions, would it work normaly? but the blue/whire/blue wires they say to tape off they showing connecting to the resistor ..and also about the locking diffs..im ordering the CPE Evo soon, is it worth it locking my diffs with hot glue or just order the drop in from thecrawlerstore?

im a noob
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

If you're going to use the MSC then you will need to connect the three wires to the resistor, otherwise you will only have one speed.

As for the receiver battery, just connect it like the instructions say (without the extra battery holder) and it will work just fine.

Yes you can use hot glue to lock your diffs. Just be sure to put a alot of it between all of the gears and clean all of the grease off the spider gears first with some type of degreaser. Alot of people say it comes loose over time but i haven't had a problem with it. The beauty of hot glue is that it peels off if you want to go back to unlocked.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ok, i got it all working, thanks, done like you said..only thing i need info on is with jb or hot glue..exactly where to put it to lock the diffs?,,steering just sucks, i moved the rods to the most outter hole, steers a little better, but those little swivvle things that the rod from the steering servo attaches to sucks, is there anyway to make it better rather than getting the axle servo mount? i wont be crawling nothing major like rocks in a competition, just things around here and other places for fun

and cutting the stock tires..whats the best way to remove every other grip? what are techniques you use..the stock clod cant even crawl as good as my 1:18 nylint, which looks like a miata next to a f250 when compared to the clods size..can i narrow the stock rims to 2.2" for the 2.2" imex tires? if so how much do i cut?

^^TRYING to go for the scale size as close as i can

Last edited by swamp_rat; 06-11-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

http://www.rccrawler.com/txtdiff.htm

2.2 refers to wheel diameter not width.2.2's on a clod will = 0 axle clearance.
cblake187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

To lock the diffs you'll need to take th axles apart and apply JB weld to the inside of each differential. Do you have a manual? If you I can dig up mine and tell you exactly what parts need to be addressed.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

He could just read his other thread.

the start of a backyard crawler
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote