Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: THE CORPORAL II Clawing it's way back!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #41
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_rat
no pics of the complete chassis with links and axels yet?
I was just going to post that! 50 freaking posts and the truck ain't done yet?

That explains Dez's post count!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, w/ all the free time I have, the post have piled up pretty quickly in the last 7 months!

Sorry for the long thread. Seems to be a lot of interest in this build. That's great. I'm sure Brett will like that. But as funds are extremely tight at the moment, this one may take a while to finish.:-(

Anyways mounted the front axle to the chassis today. TXT666 was right, had to remount my servo as the servo mount the way I installed it just didn't give me enough room to mount the link to the axle, no biggy, just a couple more holes were needed. And I ditched the carbon fiber axle braces. Didn't want to take a chance that they would catch on something and cause you lose points in a comp. Good call!

Don't have a set of tires or wheels yet so I threw these 2.2 mashers on for the sake of it.

So far I am really happy w/ the outcome. Still have some more fab work to do on the rear axle, but that will have to wait a few days. I have a comp this weekend and I need to work on the 2.2 and get it ready.

Anyways, here are a few more pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 06-23-2006 at 01:14 AM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

i love it ....seeing all these projects and completed builds make me ancious(sp?) so get mine done..for thankgiving im going to GA to my aunts in the mountains..by then i WILL have a digi cam for pics and if it aint done by then, i must be dead..soo far so good dez..fab work takes time, especialy when you make your own things instad of buying them..makes me prod when i see it work, lol
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

That really is an interesting looking chassis. I'm still wondering how the flex is but I can imagine the side hilling will be great. Doesn't seem like it will lean much like a rig will with shocks. Very unique. I understand the whole budget thing, I'm glad I'm just about done ordering parts
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

tx, go to the CPE website and go to the photo gallery for 2 pics of 2 completed claws..this thing is bad a55
Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
That really is an interesting looking chassis. I'm still wondering how the flex is but I can imagine the side hilling will be great. Doesn't seem like it will lean much like a rig will with shocks. Very unique. I understand the whole budget thing, I'm glad I'm just about done ordering parts
I set a goal of $400.00 tops for this build. So far w/ the axles and chassis I'm at $253.00! I have $147.00 bucks to play w/.

I have a ESC, TIRES, and a TX/RX. But I need to get motors, pinions, , servos, servo horns, wheels, and wheel adaptors. So I'm going to be cutting it very close.

May go over just a bit, we will see!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Well I couldn't sleep last night so I tore the rear axle apart and cleaned it up. Cleaned the gears and bearings. Locked the diff, modded the stub axles the same as I did on the front axles, and switched all the hardware over to M3 stainless hexes.

Axle is now complete for the most part (still need to order another servo mount from CPE) so I installed in on the CPE CLAW chassis and added to Corporals Body for a poser shot.

2.2 Mashers really make it seem long. Measured the wheelbase at 16 3/4 which is a 1/4 of an inch longer that I expected? No biggy as my NN had a 17 inch wheel base.

So anyways here is a little teaser shot for you guys! Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 06-23-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Yeah, w/ all the free time I have, the post have piled up pretty quickly in the last 7 months!

you can say that again!!!Average 13 posts a day!!!! As long as there mot useless posts,like some people,then its cool

Looks good dez!What electronics you plan on running?
WestCoastPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Dez, awesome progress, nice chassis , i just installed a 4 channel acoms fm radio, pretty cool for 4ws setups, i installed on my tlt
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

I noticed that on your aluminum knuckles that there are not any steering stops like on the OEM plastic ones. So does that mean you can chop the two little plastic nubs off of the stock ones and let the inner stub shaft be the steering limit? I was thinking about doing that same mod but its the knuckle stops that are limiting me right now.
I love that body, I wish I could find a CJ body to play with. Still can't wait to see it out on the rocks.
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
I noticed that on your aluminum knuckles that there are not any steering stops like on the OEM plastic ones. So does that mean you can chop the two little plastic nubs off of the stock ones and let the inner stub shaft be the steering limit? I was thinking about doing that same mod but its the knuckle stops that are limiting me right now.
I love that body, I wish I could find a CJ body to play with. Still can't wait to see it out on the rocks.
Cuuting the steering limiting nubs off the plastic hubs is a very common mod. The inner stub shaft can be modified to give even more steering swing. Mine currently is limited by the hub making contact with the axle itself. If it went any farther the tie rod would hit the axle housing.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here is a pic of the stub axle after I modded it. Stock it rubs on the axle and limits the throw. I did the same thing on my 2.2 TLT crawler.
Picture is a bit fuzzy. It looks like you removed material from the open end, shortening that end. Is that correct? Looks like an easy, smart mod, I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystance
Picture is a bit fuzzy. It looks like you removed material from the open end, shortening that end. Is that correct? Looks like an easy, smart mod, I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.
Sorry for the fuzzy pic, sometimes the camera I have takes nice clear pics and sometimes.............

As for the mod, yes, just grind the stuff axle a little shorter and taper the inner edge that will come into contact w/ the axle.

Works like a charm and adds more steering throw.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:40 AM   #54
MODERHATER™

So i'm waiting to see what you got!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Dez, i'am on your toes, check it out

P.s. we still on for thursday right?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Sweet, the Claw is Multiplying!

Sorry, not much progress, like I said, money it tight and this project will take some time. At the moment I'm narrowing wheels(YEAH!).

I picked up a set of 40 series Pro Line Velocity 6s wheels w/ the Max 14mm hub so I'll only need 1 adapter this time. This will save me the money needed for an additional 23mm adaptor. Taking them down to 2 inches.

Anyways a few exciting pics of the wheels in the middle of being narrowed.
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 06-27-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Slowly I progress.

Well I made a trade for some 40 series Mashers and they were WIDE! So after I trimmed the wheels I mounted the tires (not glued yet) and took a few pics.

Narrowing the wheels really sucked in the side walls of the Mashers and give some nice side bite lugs.

After installing the 40 series, I'm now at 5 inches of center chassis clearance. Should gain another 1/2 inch w/ the Moab XL's.
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 06-29-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

looking real good man, im thinking of just being smart and get maxx adapters and rims and tires in august..
Old 06-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #59
RCC Addict

those mashers look good. i'm doing the same and going to narrow the **** out some rims and run mashers on mine. going to try something different since it seems most everyone runs the moabs.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Dez, those are the tires?, what wheels are those ,and where can i get them, pm me please