Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My Clod hustler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

I am allmost done. I ordered my batteries about 4 weeks ago and they still haven't shown up yet. Not cool!!!! But other than the radio I have it all. Allmost all together.

The Gooch.
El Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

I was looking at the raptor 2 axles and one of the suppliers ( I will not mention the name) says that they are not very well built. to me they look awsome and for the $$$ a great way to go as opposed to building the clod axles, what say you ??

Thanks
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #43
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY View Post
I was looking at the raptor 2 axles and one of the suppliers ( I will not mention the name) says that they are not very well built. to me they look awsome and for the $$$ a great way to go as opposed to building the clod axles, what say you ??

Thanks
The truth hurts.

If you search this forum you'll find that there was quite a bit of failures and issues with the OG Raptors ,not to mention the problems with the Raptor 2 axles.
I would avoid the Raptor 2 axle until RC4WD actually redesigns and tests them.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Yeah, did the search before I bought them and I found a few post of people who had failures, I've had mine out 3 times now since completing it and it's held up fine, I don't know what you mean by the truth hurts, RC4WD has admitted to the few failures they had and are going to replace them for free, I will drive one of my other 4 crawlers in the event mine does fail, (or one of my electrics or one of my nitros) but, I'm not going to tell everyone they are bad to buy, nor am I going to tell everyone to stay away, good to know there are vendors like RC4WD who support their customers. After all the crawling industry is still young and growing, bound to have some mistakes along the way, the biggest selling crawler to date (not going to name them) has had some failures right out of the box, doesn't seem to stop everyone from buying it. (I bought one too) The clod axle is fine and I like it, I don't do comps, I don't look for rocks and trails to crawl, it fits my purpose. It didn't hurt my feelings to buy what I wanted! I highly recommend RC4WD and their products.

Just my opinion!
Les Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #45
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Crawl View Post
I don't know what you mean by the truth hurts,
The Raptor 2 is supposed to be the most advanced axle designed for rock crawling but uses puny micro gears with a gear ratio of 30:1?
IMHO when the Raptor 3 comes out it should have at least V2HD sized gears instead. I like the concept of the Raptors but IMHO the design needs to be polished.

Quote:
It didn't hurt my feelings to buy what I wanted! I highly recommend RC4WD and their products.

Just my opinion!
If you like your Raptors and they work for your terrain and driving style good for you.
I like some of RC4WDs products and the fact that they listen to feedback from other members.

But honestly some of their products need to be given more thought.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ThinkTank; 01-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Since we're talking about Hultlers and raptors here I thought I'd add mine in here too

It has the original raptor axles but I went down to 6t pinions.

Last edited by tittelba; 01-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.
tittelba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tittelba View Post
Since we're talking about Hultlers and raptors here I thought I'd add mine in here too

Do I see hyperion outrunners? Very nice. What ESC are you using and which motors?
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

I have a question. How do you know how to put the thing together correctly when there is no instructions in the package to build it, is it just common sense or is it i am just stupid or something.Just curious.By the way awsome rigs guys.:?
chev12olet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Two Mamba Max's and Hyperion 3013's .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Do I see hyperion outrunners? Very nice. What ESC are you using and which motors?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev12olet View Post
I have a question. How do you know how to put the thing together correctly when there is no instructions in the package to build it, is it just common sense or is it i am just stupid or something.Just curious.By the way awsome rigs guys.:?
That is an excellent question, I usually just look at other rigs on the forum here or search many post of similar nature, or as you said, just make an educated guess (common sense) and see if it works. Most vendors are just supplying a "piece" of the crawler, so no instructions needed (they assume) and it's educating to figure it out, whether on your own or through the post here, makes you know your rig inside and out, but, to answer your question, there should be some basic instructions, some people are not mechanically inclined and want the steps involved without having to research to do it. TCS usually has some instructions attached to the bag for an upgrade part, which is pretty cool. I know I still have alot to learn, I got bit with the "bug" last summer and found this forum, that was the best thing that helped me. Here in my area there are not many people involved in crawling and my LHS refuses to stock crawling parts, (although I've been chipping away at him) I think he wouldn't be able to keep up if the KU students got involved. Thanks for the compliment also! (and no, you are not stupid!)
Gooch, sorry for the hijac on your thread, Hustlers Rock!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Two Mamba Max's and Hyperion 3013's .
That is a nice rig
Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
The Raptor 2 is supposed to be the most advanced axle designed for rock crawling but uses puny micro gears with a gear ratio of 30:1?
IMHO when the Raptor 3 comes out it should have at least V2HD sized gears instead. I like the concept of the Raptors but IMHO the design needs to be polished.

If you like your Raptors and they work for your terrain and driving style good for you.
I like some of RC4WDs products and the fact that they listen to feedback from other members.

But honestly some of their products need to be given more thought.

Just my 2 cents.
Wasn't trying to start anything Thinktank, sometimes I'm typing what I feel before thinking it through, I respect what you said. And you're right, R&D should be a huge part before a product is released to the public, there should always be field testing and feedback from that. As far as RC4WD and their products given more thought, sometimes things look great on paper, and not so great when brought to reality. Peace!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

I've been happy with the gearing (using a 6t pinion) but there's no doubt the gears in the 1st version raptors are not strong enough.

Quote:
Wasn't trying to start anything Thinktank, sometimes I'm typing what I feel before thinking it through, I respect what you said. And you're right, R&D should be a huge part before a product is released to the public, there should always be field testing and feedback from that. As far as RC4WD and their products given more thought, sometimes things look great on paper, and not so great when brought to reality. Peace!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Sorry guys , back to the raptors, is the week link the gears ? should I just have more gears in stock for repair ? I have a 2.2 and a super both stick and clod based. My clod axles break at the point where the axle support screw goes into the housing and I have broken several axle stubs , I tend to be very hard on my stuff ( = more fun) I have also had to replace the axles as well it does get $$ plus the time waiting for replacement parts.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #55
Release your anger..

Quote:
I was trying to start a sh!tfest either.
You expressed your opinion and I explained mine.
Sorry for the Hijack El Gooch.

Quote:
Since we're talking about Hustlers and raptors here I thought I'd add mine in here too

How you managed to keep the 3013s from ripping the raptors to shreds is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY View Post
Sorry guys , back to the raptors, is the week link the gears ? should I just have more gears in stock for repair ? I have a 2.2 and a super both stick and clod based. My clod axles break at the point where the axle support screw goes into the housing and I have broken several axle stubs , I tend to be very hard on my stuff ( = more fun) I have also had to replace the axles as well it does get $$ plus the time waiting for replacement parts.
Do a search for "Mantis" by H3RESQ , he managed to keep his raptors alive.
He also used lathe motors and gear reduc units to gear down.
(Note: He later switched back to clod axles)

If you are still looking for a clod alternative G-Made axles might be a another option. The downside is a lack of aftermarket support like metal gears ,CVDs etc and you have to buy the parts separtely to build the axles.(I think it was around $230 not including shipping from S.Korea.)
Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Do a search for "Mantis" by H3RESQ , he managed to keep his raptors alive.
He also used lathe motors and gear reduc units to gear down.
(Note: He later switched back to clod axles)

If you are still looking for a clod alternative G-Made axles might be a another option. The downside is a lack of aftermarket support like metal gears ,CVDs etc and you have to buy the parts separtely to build the axles.(I think it was around $230 not including shipping from S.Korea.)
Actually not only did I run them, I comp'd them with great success. I had many top 5's locally and I placed 3rd at Axial event running Raptor 1 axles with rc4wd 2:1 gear reductions on front axle and the rear had no reduction and portals.(1.5:1, i think) During all those runs I only broke one stub axle shaft. That's as good of luck as I have had with Clod's.
That being said, I am a slow(remeber it's crawling) careful, thoughtful driver. I do not BASH my rigs and I MAINTAIN them well. This makes all the diffrence in my opinoin. These were not designed to be bashed, but because people do they will continue to add strength to these and other products. You the consumer are there testers. They have not made that any secret. That's why they allow special pre-order deals and try there best to take care of there buyers. Like any company out there, they want to find the best way to get you great products while also keeping the wheels turning. Because of this you get more products and a wide variety.
Here's my build thread... H3's Super Class comp build.

EDIT....I will again be running Raptor axle's on my Super comp rig. Keep an eye out. The build will start soon. And sorry for the hijack, figured it was on topic though

Last edited by H3RESQ; 01-14-2008 at 07:19 PM.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #57
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
Actually not only did I run them, I comp'd them with great success. I had many top 5's locally and I placed 3rd at Axial event running Raptor 1 axles with rc4wd 2:1 gear reductions on front axle and the rear had no reduction and portals.(1.5:1, i think) During all those runs I only broke one stub axle shaft. That's as good of luck as I have had with Clod's.
That being said, I am a slow(remeber it's crawling) careful, thoughtful driver. I do not BASH my rigs and I MAINTAIN them well. This makes all the diffrence in my opinoin.
EDIT....I will again be running Raptor axle's on my Super comp rig. Keep an eye out. The build will start soon.
I was hoping that by searching Buggyboy would see your success with the Raptors and at the West Coast Championship was the result your driving style and meticulously built truck.
I still like the Raptors overall concept I wouldn't mind the wacked out gearing if it had beefer gears.(I<3 BL)

BTW I can't wait for the new build.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was hoping that by searching Buggyboy would see your success with the Raptors and at the West Coast Championship was the result your driving style and meticulously built truck.
I still like the Raptors overall concept I wouldn't mind the wacked out gearing if it had beefer gears.(I<3 BL)

BTW I can't wait for the new build.
I just got V2's in the mail yesterday. The gears are beefier than the V1's and I never had probs with them, but again I ran matched lathe motors not big brushless motors.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That is an excellent question, I usually just look at other rigs on the forum here or search many post of similar nature, or as you said, just make an educated guess (common sense) and see if it works. Most vendors are just supplying a "piece" of the crawler, so no instructions needed (they assume) and it's educating to figure it out, whether on your own or through the post here, makes you know your rig inside and out, but, to answer your question, there should be some basic instructions, some people are not mechanically inclined and want the steps involved without having to research to do it. TCS usually has some instructions attached to the bag for an upgrade part, which is pretty cool. I know I still have alot to learn, I got bit with the "bug" last summer and found this forum, that was the best thing that helped me. Here in my area there are not many people involved in crawling and my LHS refuses to stock crawling parts, (although I've been chipping away at him) I think he wouldn't be able to keep up if the KU students got involved. Thanks for the compliment also! (and no, you are not stupid!)
Gooch, sorry for the hijac on your thread, Hustlers Rock!!!!
No problem Les. I like to see all the talk. It's good for the hobby. I too like to do my own research. Thats a big part of the fun.

The Gooch
El Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote