Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My Clod hustler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation My Clod hustler build

This is my first Super crawler build. My first crawler build was a AX-10, I'm still making mods to it. I'm using a hustler chassis and clod axles for the super build. There will be what I think is some cool upgrades along the way. But I think I could use some help and some input if your willing to follow along. I will be putting up some pics as well if I can figure it out. how to post them that is....

Parts List:
Hustler chassis
clod axles
thunder tech CVD's
proline moab xl 40's
Aluminum lockers
integy 55T motors x2
HPI shocks (T-MAXX)
?????????

The Gooch
El Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here you go: Posting Pics For Dummies

Can't wait for the pics
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the help and the links. It was easer to become a supporter than mess around with the other options. I hope to have pic's up tonight.

I'm trying to up load some pics, but it keeps telling me the file size is to big. I'll try to resize and up load again later.

The Gooch

Here are the starter pics I said I would post. I'll keep them coning as I get my parts.

The Gooch
Attached Images

Last edited by Reflection; 01-11-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

god i love hustler chassis one of these days, I'm a gonna' pony up and buy one of those. one of these days...
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Nice work so far. I have just finished mine. Bloted on a bit of bling for good measure. Had a couple of old 4 cell heli packs not being used so converted them to 2S2P. Now I have 6000mah to play with! Should last all day....
Servos are Hyperion digitals - so far so good. Esc - 2 x Novak Rooster Crawlers (yes twice the glitching but using a BEC certianly helps). BEC Castle 10A. Motors 65T Integy V10 with 8T pinions.
The Hustler is a pure pleasure to build with all the various holes lining up perfectly and all parts very high quality. Just 2 little gripes - The Traxxas ball ends are all different lengths with dotts on them to indicate which are which. Not RCP's fault but a note would be nice. Saves having to remove ball ends when the axles turn out crooked. And why oh why do they use a mixture of imperial and metric fasteners? I expect it is because that was what was available at the time, but trying to get 6-32 x 1/4 grub screws outside of the USA is almost impossible! I was short 8 in my kit (actually we got in about 10 kits and they were all short so order spares when you get one).
Apart from that it is an excellent crawler! WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better than my stick. 9.5/10 for RCP.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

Nice Hustler man. Thanks for the heads up on the ball ends. I did not know there was a difference, I saw the dots, but did not know. So I took a caliper and did some measurements. They all came out the same +- .10mm.
Here are some pics. Also some pics of my Proline Moab 40's and my narrowed Axial Bead Locks.:-P

The Gooch
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hey Toast.......SWEET looking rig. How does it crawl?
El Gooch.........did you get all the parts individually or was it the "kit" from RCP?
Have fun with the build. Don't forget lots of pics.
JakeSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Talking

All the parts were separate except the links, they came with the Hustler Chassis. I'll be posting lots of pics as soon as I get my Knuckles from JP Custom RC.

The Gooch
Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

CHeers Jake. It crawls like a Snail with tennis shoes on a hot summers day in mexico when the sun is high....
Gooch - Its weird about the ball ends. I was told about the dots by a mate so just assembled them in pairs. He recons that they made a difference - who knows. 0.1mm hardley seems worth the effort on Traxxas' part.
Thinking I might narrow my rims too. Not sure if its really worth it tho...:?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Talking

I just got my JP CustomRC Knuckles in the mail today, YA YA YA YA YA YA YA . Now I can finish the build:-P. I'll be posting up pics as I go. I hope that I have everything now. By the way these knuckles are the coolest I've seen. Nice Job JP Custom.

The Gooch
Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

The long awaited knuckles are here. YA YA YA YA :-P
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Well this is were I am so far. Not sure about the shock position though, could use some help on the setup. I seem to get much more articulation without the shocks. I know that having the shocks mounted will hinder the articulation somewhat, just not this much. Any one have some suggestions for me.

The Gooch
Getting closer.......
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Yep, get longer shocks.... However I recon you wont worry once you have run it over some rocks.
It seems some puntas are limiting their articulation to stop rollovers. Sounds good to me. My Hustler will rotate around 50 deg on the front axle with the back on the ground. Works fine.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gooch View Post
Well this is were I am so far. Not sure about the shock position though, could use some help on the setup. I seem to get much more articulation without the shocks. I know that having the shocks mounted will hinder the articulation somewhat, just not this much. Any one have some suggestions for me.

The Gooch
Getting closer.......
When i was putting my hustler together I thought the same thing about the articulation, I twisted it without the wheels on and seemed like it didnt have much, but after I put the wheels on it changed my mind about not having enough. As for the shocks those are the same ones everybody else is using on the hustler.
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
When i was putting my hustler together I thought the same thing about the articulation, I twisted it without the wheels on and seemed like it didnt have much, but after I put the wheels on it changed my mind about not having enough. As for the shocks those are the same ones everybody else is using on the hustler.

Jammin57, do you have any photos of your Hustler? Thanks for the input. I was noting that without the shocks I could get about 90deg. front or back, now with the shock it's about 50deg.. One other question, what oil are you using in your shocks?

The Gooch
Old 12-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #16

good looking build you got there!!!

could you post a link on what shock mounts you are using?

cheers
piccorevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccorevo View Post
good looking build you got there!!!

could you post a link on what shock mounts you are using?

cheers

Thanks..The shock mounts consist of (2) 1/4" callers with a 1/4" wire loom keeper per shock mount. You can get these from www.rcpcrawler.com

The Gooch
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #18

my hustler is not done yet, i just used the oil that came with my shocks to get them together but its not thick enough, i read on here somewhere that people were using thick diff oil for the shocks

Name:  hustler 0011.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  46.7 KB
Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
my hustler is not done yet, i just used the oil that came with my shocks to get them together but its not thick enough, i read on here somewhere that people were using thick diff oil for the shocks

Attachment 50677

Are you set up for front and rear dig??

The Gooch
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #20

Yea, it will as soon as i get the wireing done and get my dx6 back from horizon, it has 55t integys and dual mamba max esc's, i am just running the stock axle's for now but I am gonna put on some aluminum axle tubes and cvd's and bta steering one of these days, I am new to crawling so I have only built my ax10 and the hustler and its almost done just got to do some wireing and get some battery packs for my JP knuckles.