Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tlt Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tlt Tuber

I finally finished the TXT so its time for a new project which is a tlt based tuber. I bought a max climber kit from the LHS and scavenged the axles from it picked up a set of HPI rims and a set of dirt hawg tires as a starting point. The tranny will either be a pede or a modified Losi. The wheelbase will be 12.5 inches with a ground clearance of 2.5 inches. I got permission from the proper people to put the frame on the market so I thought I would start a build thread on it so here we go with a Mini Bastard. I started bending the main cage last week. I have the main bars done and have gone through and bent another 3 for a total of 4 prototypes being built at one time. I had hoped to start brazing the cages togther today but when we went to the old house to pick up a few things the silver solder and the flux managed not to make it in the items brought back. This will be taken care of in the morning and progress will continue.
Attached Images

aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looks good so far. looking forward to the progress. any idea whatsoever of what one of these might cost?
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looking good aubie. I might have to ask you to build me one while you are at it...lol.
rc4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

WOW! So you are building 4 of them eh. I want one! I will pm you asap!

Looking good so far. I can't wait to see teh finished project. Is it going to be a red frame? Will side panels come with it? Will these prototypes hold the pede trans? I am very interested.
sean_lv_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Made some good progress today. All that i could find around here is high temp silver solder which in turn forced the purchase of a micro torch but I have been meaning to buy one for a while so it worked out for the better. Less explaining to the wife about new tools. LOL There is one front cross brace that has to be moved up a little and the frame base brazed on. That will pretty much do it for the frame. Tomorrow will be spent on final brazing the tubes and then locating the shock and link mounting plates. Then cleanup and a quick acid bath for it.
Last night I started some drawings for an aluminum top link mount. It looks good on paper and should work out fine on the truck. Hopefully I can make one thursday and go from there on it.

It will be a black frame with red panels. It will use a pede or a modified losi tranny. It will include frame, side panels, aluminum links, and machined aluminum upper link mounts. I want it to be pretty much a bolt your axles on, install your radio gear and go type truck.

These 4 are already spoken for. Once I know that there are no problems with the frame and setup in any way I will put a few up for sale. Price wise we are probably going to be in the $240 to $275 range but thats not definate.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

looking good. cant wait to see it done
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Had to go back out into the shop and fix that one tube that was off. Then one thing led to another so here are a few mock up pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Is that mock-up acurate on the ground clearance? If it is you might want to raiseit a couple inches like 3-3.5 inches.
ttrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The mock up is not accurate on the ground clearance. Just grabbed the first thing i could find
Old 06-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
Im Brandon

Any updates? looks good, i love the tubers
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Started working on the 4 link today then had to tend too farm chores. Supposed to be getting 4 new horses in next week and there were fences to fix. Will get back to work on it saturday and post some more progress pics. Hope to have it finished by the end of next week. With the response i've been getting there will probably be a waiting list on the mini bastards so let me know so I can put you on the list. The new email is tubewerks@bellsouth.net
Old 06-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

It Looks Really Good And Can Wiat To It On The Rocks And See What It Can Do.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Isn't it John Walsh? Pretty sure it is. fix your sig man
Rockinrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ygm
rc4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Heres a pic of the articulation. This is 32 degreeas of movement. I have to shorten the links 1/4 inch to keep it at a 12.5 inch wheelbase. This will a little more articulation. Still working on the machined upper link mounts. Hopefully have them done mid next week.

And it was Joe Walsh of the eagles
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrockcrawler
Isn't it John Walsh? Pretty sure it is. fix your sig man

John is the Americas Most Wanted host

Joe is the Eagle

Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Since pede trannys are getting more expensive due to the demand for them I am working on usuing a losi or an associated tranny if anyone would like to go that route. I picked up a losi tranny on ebay last week for $23 shipped the associated are going for about the same price.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
Im Brandon

I did the same, I have a pede tranny but my brother was looking for something to use, picked up a losi, the only problem is mounting axles or sliders... O well just make it work when it gets here
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:14 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have the adapters to to use sliders drawn out in my head just havent had the time to put on a cad drawing yet.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Started setting up the reat suspension today and standard 4" shocks will work on the rear but going to use 3" on the front. I have a set of associated and losi shocks on the way so when those come in progress will continue. Now I will have time to frame up a few more while waiting for the parts to come in.