Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 1/2 breed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Installing the Teflon bushing in the R2D.

Didn’t have time to take pics of the installation on the other parts, but here they are all ready to rock the rocks.

Just tossed some tires on a couple wheels, while waiting for my NWTRACTECH and had the others sitting near buy to show it as a roller.

And the lid I’ll use till mine is painted.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Well I received my NWTRACTECH foams in the mail on Saturday and went straight to installing my ALL WEATHER foams.. I have to say these are sooper sweet. Drove the rig around the yard a bit to run out the battery and I love the way they respond and conform. They are also not as heavy as the Kreepy pinks/reds and actually respond a bit quicker which I like..
Anyway some pics for ya all. I was a little busy to take any actions shots but they'll get here.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thats a cool idea. Looks great.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I'm about sick as a dog at the moment, but I received my titanium lower links and 1/8 solid rod. These things ROCK..

The solid rod has a little softer bend to it compaired to the steel I've been using and it's "spring back" response is slower which could be a good thing. I didn't feel up to charging and driving but just cycled the suspension a few times on the cut to see how it acted. Hopefully I'll be feeling up to some testing come thursday.

I just wished I had enought money to get the upper and steering links as well.

Here are some pics for you, then I'm off to my death bead. LOL.

old one next to the titanium.

The Titanium on and ready..

a little before and after at the torsion end.
You'll notice the titanium has more of an arch. I was actually expecting it to be more rigid but nope.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

So do you think the Ti is gonna work for the torsion rods or is it gonna be to soft? You are kinda the guinea pig for these. Glad you like the Ti links. I'll be watching closely........
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #26
RCC Addict

"I was actually expecting it to be more rigid but nope."
Ti is not "hard" or " rigid" it is EXTREMLY flexable. And it has a near perfect memeory,meaning it always goes back to the same shape that it started.It also has the ability to flex a million times and not work harden and crack like Alluminum or steel. In my opion once you dial in the right diameter rod it should be the best torsion rod you can get.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith View Post
So do you think the Ti is gonna work for the torsion rods or is it gonna be to soft? You are kinda the guinea pig for these. Glad you like the Ti links. I'll be watching closely........
I hope you are. I keep bending the rods on my BMV2.

Nice buildup JJ!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith

I'm actually liking it, but I'll be driving it on the rocks today so I'll get back you on how they actually do when in a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis
"I was actually expecting it to be more rigid but nope."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis
Ti is not "hard" or " rigid" it is EXTREMLY flexable. And it has a near perfect memeory,meaning it always goes back to the same shape that it started.It also has the ability to flex a million times and not work harden and crack like Alluminum or steel. In my opion once you dial in the right diameter rod it should be the best torsion rod you can get.

Agree. I've never been around or have had any experiance with Ti, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
The way it acts now is a nice and slow movement unlike the steel that likes to shoot back to posistion. Add a dampening set up to it and it Appears to be predictable.

The only thing that I've run into is I'm use to haveing the rods further out from the center which limits the flex. These are closer togeather so they are acting somewhat like a 4 linked set up as far as flex.
Ways to limit the amount of flex would be to widen the chassis. move the chassis back towards the rear axles, giving the front longer links and the torsion shorter. Right now I'm at a 50/50 set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I hope you are. I keep bending the rods on my BMV2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

Nice buildup JJ!

Thanks.
I've only bent one set of rods on my first dampened torsion bull, but didn't get to drive as much as I'd of liked to.

Up date on some work done.
The front wans't flexing like I'd like it to so I needed some softer springs, went to the LHS and picked up the softest ones they had Evader white springs.
But still didn't like how they weren't soft enough.
So while I was picking up some powder coating I though I'd have them sandblast the springs. Walla I have even softer spring than before, I'd say at lest 10~15% softer. I'm sure the longer I have them sandblast them the softer they'd get. It also didn't seem to hurt there spring effect.

Hopefully I'll get a vid of it's maiden voyage on the rocks today?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

The comp this weekend proved to be the testing grounds for Da Bull 1/2 breed and I must say it performed well.
There were some driver errors of course but I figured that much. And it was the first time my rig had seen rocks.

XVD broke as I and most though would happen, I just wished it didn't happen when it did, since I was having my best run (course 2) w/ no reverses till the break then taking a repair w/ 15 seconds left to finish 2 or 3 gates, but did what I could do.

Anyway here is a little vid of it on course 1 and 3. didn't get anyone to video course 2 for me:-(.. Tried to keep it as complete as possible w/out boring you all.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
Old guy

Looking good Boss, I finaly got high speed internet and can watch the videos now. That looked like a tuff course.

TEAM AVERY got a 1st ,2nd at our 1st club comp of the year. DA BULL ROCKS
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty good to me, seems nice and predictable.

Opinions on the tires and reasons for running claws front and badlands rear?
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys.

The rig was predictable especially for running it on the rocks for it's first time (previouse testing was don on the couch)..

Well since I was a little torn between which to run without testing the tires for my self. I took everything I've read on here and our local board and figured this set up would work well. (WAR PIG had the same set up)
I put my stiffer foams in the front to assist in sidehilling since that is where it seemed they lacked. In the end though I think I should have went with the stiffer foams all around. It SEEMED that the badlands slipped a little more in some situations. But I'll be testing both sets out soon with the same wheel/foam combos.

I think the NWTRACTEC allweather foams will be the ticket for the front and the combo foams in the rear (a pink type foam with extra sides, not sure what they are called) in which ever set of tires or combo of tires I decide to keep on it.

EDIT: just looking at some other video (that I edited out, to shorten) and war pigs rig on the same rock. It looks like both tires would slide out at about the same time on the same rock in about the same position.

Last edited by Double J; 03-11-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #33
RCC Addict

looks pretty good...
seems to work pretty well too.
cant wait to get mine built up.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Thanks
Couldn't of finished it with out your help as well as some others like grover who was a sounding block and helped me get my very first lipo set up. And to those that helped me out with some cool deals on parts if and when possible.
RC CRAWLERS are truely a community sport.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
The comp this weekend proved to be the testing grounds for Da Bull 1/2 breed and I must say it performed well.
There were some driver errors of course but I figured that much. And it was the first time my rig had seen rocks.

XVD broke as I and most though would happen, I just wished it didn't happen when it did, since I was having my best run (course 2) w/ no reverses till the break then taking a repair w/ 15 seconds left to finish 2 or 3 gates, but did what I could do.

Anyway here is a little vid of it on course 1 and 3. didn't get anyone to video course 2 for me:-(.. Tried to keep it as complete as possible w/out boring you all.

Nice run on course 2 J.. I didn't get a chance to see ya run it but there werw only a few of us who were able to do that nasty drop off pretty clean....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Also how are your bushings doing on the r2?

I had to pull mine off because the rear bushing was sliding back forth. I gotta re-do my servo and put it in the rear like you did--its just side loading the rod too much and when the rear tires get bound up--makes it hard to get the rear to unlock...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Also how are your bushings doing on the r2?

I had to pull mine off because the rear bushing was sliding back forth. I gotta re-do my servo and put it in the rear like you did--its just side loading the rod too much and when the rear tires get bound up--makes it hard to get the rear to unlock...
My bushings are working flawlessly and I had the first set that were messed up a little.

But I have my linkage straight in and out.

also received my red goop stuff (name to be determined.. LOL) so I'll be getting that in there as soon as I possibly can and hope to get a before and after sound recorded.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #38
Keep it real

Looks like it's working pretty good for ya Jason
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Looks like it's working pretty good for ya Jason
Thanks it was working really good for me. If your at the next comp you can take it for alittle drive and see what you think

I did just watch the video and looks like photobucket cut part of the end off.:-( should of checked it sooner. LOL although not much was cut out.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I drove it after the comp, and I was impressed with the it.

But it showed I need to practice more! LoL

-peter-
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote