Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gc-2 Tlt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fly View Post
I am working on my gc2 its almost done. if you would like i can post pictures so that we can compare?
Yea I'd like to see pics of your GC2.

This truck is no longer TLT based however. I have a set of fully built Axials that are going under this very soon Also set aside are the Badlands tires. Panther Cougers for the Ericksons.

I will get another update once I get my parts in and everything together.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default why?

Why did you decide to switch over?
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why did you decide to switch over?

Well I thought about it a few times and decided that parts availability and all the aftermarket support for Axial was enough alone to make me go back. I really like the way TLTs are bolted together, and I still think its stronger design than Axial, but simply put...the internals don't compare.

The teeth are larger, the gear diameter are larger, the lockers available are bulletproof. They are wider. The scrub-radius on the Axials is less than the TLT making steering more forgiving and easier on servos

I guess thats all my reasons. Oh, and I have the Axials sitting here made it easier too. The TLT axles new owner should be recieving them soon
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #44
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
I really like the way TLTs are bolted together, and I still think its stronger design than Axial, but simply put...the internals don't compare.
The TLT axles new owner should be recieving them soon
I am the new owner of whom he speaks. I left the Axial's for TLT's partially because of what Hildy already posted. My reasoning is in my son's GC1 TLT build. I will probably be building a GC2 TLT with Hildy's axles. I just prefer TLT's and I don't see them going anywhere. With all the scale builds, and with RCP making parts for them, the TLT faithful should be good for sometime.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Default got it

In the middles section that is all advantages to the axial axles? OR to tlt? So you think I should switch to the axial ones? I am not sure if you where saying the axial axles are more bullet proof or the tlt ones
thanks
daivd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
Well I thought about it a few times and decided that parts availability and all the aftermarket support for Axial was enough alone to make me go back. I really like the way TLTs are bolted together, and I still think its stronger design than Axial, but simply put...the internals don't compare.

The teeth are larger, the gear diameter are larger, the lockers available are bulletproof. They are wider. The scrub-radius on the Axials is less than the TLT making steering more forgiving and easier on servos

I guess thats all my reasons. Oh, and I have the Axials sitting here made it easier too. The TLT axles new owner should be recieving them soon
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #46
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
In the middles section that is all advantages to the axial axles? OR to tlt? So you think I should switch to the axial ones? I am not sure if you where saying the axial axles are more bullet proof or the tlt ones
thanks
daivd
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. The fact is, the Axials have way more after market support than the TLT. Even RCP's web site has 4 pages of items for the Axial, while the TLT's have three and the majority of the items are out of stock.

I personally like the TLT's better. They are narrower in width. I believe that the TLT's are as strong as Axial's if you use RCP lockers and pinions and RCP CVD's. Stock TLT's are weak, especially under high traction tires and lots of power. So if you are willing to put $250 into a TLT set, they will last a very long time, especially if you use a slipper with them. I have seen people break RCP pinion and CVD's, but that is extreme and seems to be against the norm. Everything has a breaking point if pushed hard enough. I have never broken RCP lockers & pinions or CVD's. I have broke countless stock TLT parts though under brushless power and high voltage power.

You will ultimately have to make the decision for yourself. The TLT's offer more mounting options and stronger mounting options. The plastic mounting tabs on the Axial case do not compare to a steel mount like on a TLT. Plus, since I am using the GC1 chassis, the articulation is much smoother than it was with the Axials. I also hated the slop of the Axial lockers. These are just my opinions and observations. Just like my signature says, Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways. Everyone sees things differently. One size does not fit all.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Default which are wider?

Are the tlt axles or the axial axles wider? I see that the axles are round and smoother so i thought they would be nice.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #48
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Are the tlt axles or the axial axles wider? I see that the axles are round and smoother so i thought they would be nice.
TLT's are narrow.
Axial's are wider.

TLT cases can be smoothed either by hand with a file or a dremel.
Axial cases are smoother out of the package.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Default nice

my only problem i dont have 250 to put into tlt to make then bullet proof. That why I am liking the idea of axials. I am using tlt axles right now and they are working fine.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #50
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
my only problem i dont have 250 to put into tlt to make then bullet proof. That why I am liking the idea of axials. I am using tlt axles right now and they are working fine.
If it is working fine then why switch?

As you break TLT parts over time, just upgrade the broken part to something better. Slowly over time they will become "bullet proof" and you will be happy with your axles.

The only reason I even owned Axials was because my son wanted to get into crawling. We sold his RC18T and ended up with just enough money for the AX-10 kit. I had no idea if he would like rock crawling or not. As it turned out, not only did he love it, he is good at it. So as we upgraded over time, it got to where only the axles and trans were left from the kit. Then axle parts started breaking and it was inconveneint to buy and carry Axial parts when I had a bunch of TLT parts already on hand. So I traded the axial axles for two pairs of TLT's and switched his GC1 to TLT's.

Sorry for the threead hi-jack Hildy.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Thanks for answering those questions Nova