Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Just built a pair of TLT's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just built a pair of TLT's

One for my son and one for me. The blue one with flames is for my son, its more of a trail truck, he wanted a little speed so I made a sway bar (not pictured) out of a coat hanger to help it handle at speed..works better than I thought. Mine has the ****ty paint job and is on it's way to being a crawler. Now if I only had a rock the crawl on I would be set LOL. I will be attempting to stuff a pede tranny in the stock chassis in the near future and adding some Hulk Werks upper link mounts. I also want to loose the bumpers but don't want the steering links to get beat to hell...What can I put to protect them without screwing up the approach angle? Here are a few pics of what I have so far.

BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here are my tips, swap your son tires/wheels. Lose the bumper, and either sleeve the stock link, or make a beefier main steering link. Then move it up above the steering knuckles (instead of below them). They will get beat up, but as long as its beefed up, you should be ok. You'll most likely bend the stock link on your first or second run even with the bumpers.

But, you're definately off to a good start! Have you been hiding in the shadows for a while, or did you pick up the tips elsewhere?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Good looking trucks. You'll either have to ditch the skid and take a beating or fab up some sort of small skid that doesn't affect your approach angle.
cowboyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Do what PWT said sleeve ur links... Go to ur local auto parts store and ask for some 3/16 brake line it will go right over ur stock steering links and make them TONS stronger! check it out! \

My crawler just 'finished' ...56k nightmare

AND as for putting the pede tranny in the stock chassis its easy just check this out.

Well, my Stampede came in... (56K Warming)

I would definetly go with the pede tranny in both of ur nice looking trucks!... it will save you the frustration down the road pluss u gain 7/8 to 1 inch of ground clearance automatically ( you cut that much off the bottom of the chassis). any ways GREAT start oh and another thing swap ur wheels with you son when hes not lookin ... mashers are way better for crawling.

and what bodies are thoes?
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll definitely look into putting sleeves over the links. The tire on my sons truck or stock pede tires than I cut to look like mashers...I guess I did a good job LOL. My sons truck will stay as is because he just runs around the yard with it, he says crawling is to slow(he is only 6) The bodies or Chevy HD for the stampede.

Plays_with_Toys Ive been a member here for a while just lurking, reading. But I have been in rc for a long time so I'm not worried about hacking on my truck if it makes it better.

PS: just went beat the **** out of it on some house blocks/pads It did oK for the way it's set up...I like the way the geolanders look and they bite well but they are to small and the belt was slipping bad. Looks like I'll have to get that pede tranny in there soon.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

HOLLY CRAP THEY ARNT MASHERS!!! DAMN good job!!!... i never had a problem with my belt sliping on my stock tlt... i guess its because i had the stock tires and stock links... i did have a lathe motor in it tho.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You can add an HPI belt tensioner to help the belt out until you get a good tranny. I thought the "mashers" looked a bit worn down, but didn't look any closer. Good job slicin'.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
HOLLY CRAP THEY ARNT MASHERS!!! DAMN good job!!!... i never had a problem with my belt sliping on my stock tlt... i guess its because i had the stock tires and stock links... i did have a lathe motor in it tho.

Sticky tires, a lathe motor, and geared 12/93 (48p ) will put a hurtin on the belt. I read about the belt tensioner but I have a pede tranny with aluminum idler sitting in a drawer...Just need to stop being lazy
Old 08-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well the tlt is on the operating table again. It's getting a tranny transplant. I got the pede tranny into the stock chassis much easier than I thought. I'll be adding the upper link mounts tonight/tomorrow and all should be good until the moabs come in.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
Don
Quarry Creeper

Nice trucks. Can't wait to get mine.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote