Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DMG Nemesis Comp Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

nice ..im going to get alot of ideas from this
eclipse9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIBEGuy View Post
=So, out came the hacksaw, drill, and dremel, and just like that, each of the high clearance delrin lower links are 1/4" shorter.

who makes those? i want a set
Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse9 View Post
who makes those? i want a set
Kamikaze made them: www.Kamikazekustoms.com
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

nice how do they hold up?
btw i just started my thread so check it out
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse9 View Post
nice how do they hold up?
btw i just started my thread so check it out
I've had no issues with the links so far.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIBEGuy View Post
I've had no issues with the links so far.
except for them being to long
yea i think im going to strait coppy you know lol
thanks for the ideas
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

Well, we had another indoor competition yesterday, and sadly, I didn't fair too well (9th place).

:(

I had planned to rebuild the rig, and add MIP center drive shafts, as well as re-gear the R2-D tranny, and install the Teflon bushing in the dig. Life didn't free up enough time, though, so the truck ran as it was.

In the first round I had to take an "Off Course Repair" penalty (40pts) after I snapped a front drive shaft. After this, the dig started sticking really badly, and wouldn't release unless I went into reverse.

Second round started off very well, but the dig issue reappeared 1/3 of the way thru the course. The front diff locker went, leaving my truck in 3wd. :( To finish things off, by the last 3 gates, the rear dig was completely locked-up, and would not release at all! I managed to drag the truck to the finish, but it was NOT pretty.

Oi.....................

Looks like a close-to-full rebuild will be in the near future..............
Old 02-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Started the rebuild today, and it was pretty much one headache after another.

Started with the rear axle. Pulled out the diff/pinion and replaced them with a nice copper/alloy lockers & SS pinion from RCP. Smooth swap.

Front axle was supposed to be just as easy...........but it wasn't to be. 2 cvd bearings in the knuckles were seized. Both CVD's were broke, where the cross pin passes through the axle. The pin had actually broke through the steel. :(

ARG!

Diff was shot, so another RCP locker/pinion went in. Dunno what I'm gonna do with the CVD's though..........

Despite my frustration, I decided to go forward and rebuild the R2-D tranny.

Pulled out the 8t pinion, and dropped in a 12t for a bit more wheel speed. Greased it up with "gear jelly".

Tore apart the dig, and installed a set of bushings (Delrin or Teflon I believe). Imagine my surprise when I found the inside diameter of the bushing was smaller then the stock brass ones. Arg............ So, I drilled out the bushings, filed a bit of a bevel on a few of the steel dig bits, and put it all back together. Made some minor adjustments to the servo linkage, and dropped the whole thing back in the chassis.

I picked up a Futaba 4PK a few months back, so I pulled the FM radio gear and added a R603FF receiver. Set up the dig so now I'll have full 3 position capabilities (4wd/rear freewheel/rear locked).

Now, I sit and wait to hear back about any possibility of warranty on the MIP CVD's.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #69
Rock Crawler

Well, RCP Crawlers said there is no warranty on their MIP CVD's.

According to them, breaking a MIP CVD after less then 10 runs is "common in RC Crawling", and is the reason they stock (some) replacement parts. Nice. So, I had to pony up for the new parts (and the shipping which cost just as much), and sit around for them to show up.

So, the parts showed up this week, and today I'm focusing on trying to get the front axle back together.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Default MIPain in the ass!

I finally got my rig about done (check it out in the AX10 section "DcR post build thread") and let me know what you think.

anyway the real reason I am posting is that on my first time out I had a brand new mip cvd go out and cause some pretty good carnage. I wish I would have taken pictures, it really sucked having to replace a new axle housing after 3 min of run time.

The little pin started to slide out and it was hitting the C-hub while spinning and then locked up and then the torque sheared off the axle housing right behind where the C-hub bolts on to it.

This left the wheel pointing face down away from the truck and bent a couple of steering screws. I rebuilt the axle (luckily I had a spare) and put the stock dog bones back in. Not the end of the world but I am out the cost of the cvd's and 10 bucks for the axle.

I called MIP and talked to Brandon (626)339-9007 He would have sent me a replacement set but I do not want the same thing to possibly happen again. He said that he is working on improving them and is going to use a larger pin in the future but that it is not a company priority and could be several months away from happening.

Maybe if you and anyone else that has had an issue with them calls they might move fixing them up the list a little.

Anyone want to buy 3 brand new MIP cvd's
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Got the CVD's back together, dropped in a Copper-Alloy Locker, added some new grease, and started to reassemble the axle.

The TCS Clocked axle C's were pretty badly bent out of shape, so I decided to add a set of Fat-Rock SS axle C's I had kicking around.

Imagine my disappointment to find that the CVD's don't fit through them!

So out came the dremel, and after a few minutes of grinding out the center hole, the CVD's now slip right through.

And now I discover that the C's fit differently/tighter on the plastic axle housing then the TCS versions.

So out came the dremel, and after a few minutes of grinding the TLT axle housings, the Fat-Rock axle C's slipped right on.

Oi.................

Think I'm gonna pause for a bit............
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Well, the truck finally got back together, and off we went to to try it out at a local indoor comp last Sunday.

The Good:

The Nemesis Drove well. For the first time since I got it, the dig worked properly. The new gearing helped a lot with wheel speed, and does a much better job showing how much power the 35t Warrior motor really has.

The Bad:

My driving! LOL............I made some really stupid mistakes in the comp, and it cost me dearly. I still managed a respectable 5th...............but that just wasn't what I was hoping for.

Oh well.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

For those that are interested, here are some videos from the last couple rounds of the indoor competitions around here.

Round 3:

http://www.rcthingsandstuff.com/medi..._Comp_Round_3/

Round 4:

http://www.rcthingsandstuff.com/medi...ition_Round_4/

The Nemesis appears briefly in both of these vids.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Nice build. I've pretty much gotten in the habit of prechecking my CVD cross pins prior to every course during a comp, as well as at every battery change. I wish the cross pin would be more of a fuse than the bell breaking, but oh well. Another local guy tried to leave out the e-clips to allow for fast shaft swaps if one broke, however this has a poor effect on the ring and pinion gear mesh.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Did some snow crawling this weekend.

HiDef vid is here: Hi Def DMG Nemesis Video