Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: BrandO's scale Jeep trail rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

The kongs are gone. I traded em to Jason for some BFT's on Maximizers. They weren't my thing either. I just posted to show one method of cutting. I have many more pics in my thread about my rubi-x project.

Jim511- pm'd about flares.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 AM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Brando, Nice work. How close is Raleigh to concord? I'll be there from the 8th to the 13th. Wouldn't mind hauling my rig out there from some crawling. LMK
I am about 2 hours from Raleigh I think. I am new to the area and still getting my bearings. I have been looking for places to crawl with little luck. I am sure there are plenty over closer to the mountains. But around Charlotte it is pretty flat. I will keep looking and let you know what I find. send me an email a couple days before you head out.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
How are you planning to retain the battery?
It will rest in the saddle that I made out of flat stock. And it will be held down with a couple wire ties or maybe a couple velcro straps. I wire tied a battery in and shook the chassis. It stayed in place and seemed pretty solid.

I got my paint for the body yesterday so the body should have some color soon. I just need to mount my esc and RX. And of course the drive shafts. I am a little confused on what I needed. I picked up the wrong parts yesterday. Hopefully I will get what I need on the next trip.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:56 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I wish I could do a sick as trail ride with you. 8-)
Don't worry bro someday you will be able to build one like mine. Just kidding, I have learned alot by looking at some of your rigs. You are right when you use the word "sick" when talking about this hobby. It is a sickness for sure. I already started bending tubes for my next project. Will it ever end? When I lay down to go to bed at night all I see in my head is tubes, and links, and axles, and transmissions........ Ahhhh!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Links axles and transmissions OH MY lol

cool flex shot scale ness. it came out really good man nice job... im sure that it will never be done though... just like my crawler... i am never finished tinkering with it.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Well, it's just about done. I have a couple more little things to finish up. Mainly a center skid plate and some rock rings. After that it will be outside to get it dirty. Only thing I am not happy with is the wheel mounting. I am thinking about getting some clamping hex hubs and some low profile locknuts. Right now I don't have enough axle thread to get into the nylon on the locknut. Anyone know where I can get some clamping hex hubs? I think Inet has them or I could go with Tamiya. Not sure what model hubs would work from Tamiya. I am guessing the tao4 but not sure.

Here are some pics before it get's dirty.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #87
CSR
RCC Addict

Awesome rig! Who makes it? Where can I buy one?

J/K, Man that thing turned out PERFECT! The framerails, tubework...... I Love It! I like how the cage is not overbuilt.... it looks strong, but not too heavy. Great Job!
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

DAMN DUDE that thing came out PERFECT... that is now my ideal trail rig... one suggestion GET RID OF THE AI QUANTUM RUNNER REVERSE (it doesent matter) it has a horrible throttle curve and a HUGE lag between forward and reverse. i sent mine back to LRP and asked for a regular Runner Reverse which has a perfectly liniar throttle curve and no lag time between forward and reverse..

but this is only if the thing is an AI quantum runner reverse... it might be the pro which i cant talk for.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=BrandO] I have a couple more little things to finish up. Mainly a center skid plate and some rock rings.

I read on a thread about people using large steel washers as rock rings, it also adds wight so u dont need to put bb's in thte tires but there are probably betters ways of doing it but the washers a probably cheap. I fu hava a lathe u could take some materail out of the center to make the more open.
James Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

looks awesome
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Excellent job! Very clean and scale. I love it!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

That thing gives me tingly feelings inside. I love scale rigs like I love cake. I really love me some mother f'in cake. :-P You really did a stellar job. I gotta give it to you on the plate under the winch. I always hated seeing that lex lip under those bodies.
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments guys. I am pretty happy with the way it came out. I hope it goes as good as it looks. I can't wait to get it outside.

James, I have also read about the washers. A washer that size is pretty frigin heavy. It is also pretty hard to drill through for mounting screws. I made a pattern out of aluminum that I use. I then cut my rigs out of plastic or thin aluminum. Using the pattern assures that they are all the same. I lined up the screw holes so the rings can actually be screwed to the bead of the wheel. I just need to get some material to make some up.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #94
Sinking with the ship

Default NIce

Dude this thing came out great, I love the way the body came out, good choice of color. Looks real scale, cant wait to see some pics of it crawling. BTW what kind of front servo mount did you fab up? have any pics?
later
Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
BTW what kind of front servo mount did you fab up? have any pics?
later
Mike
Here are a couple pics of the servo mount. It mounts in the stock mounting holes. It is made out of 1/8 thick 1.5" aluminum angle from the local Lowes. I thought it was an original idea when I made it. But since I have seen some others done the same way. I didn't take the idea and I don't think they did from me. I guess great minds think alike. Whatever the case I think it is a nice way to do it. It keeps the links low and out of the way. Only thing is you need to make the top links a little shorter.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #96
Adilynsdad too!

Very clean, scale rig. Reminds me of knigcobras rig. Awesome build but, what is that rig in the background. Looks very interesting.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #97
Im Brandon

Looks awesome man, if you need some clamping hexes, IRS makes some for the tc3/4 and i believe they fit the tlt axles no problem, you might need a shorter pin but thats it. I have a set at home and I will check on that tonight for ya.

EDIT: here ya go http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Associated-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Brandon; 12-05-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad
Very clean, scale rig. Reminds me of knigcobras rig. Awesome build but, what is that rig in the background. Looks very interesting.
The chassis in the background is something I have been working on. It's kind of in limbo at the moment. More info can be found here. BrandO tube buggy build up
Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing
Looks awesome man, if you need some clamping hexes, IRS makes some for the tc3/4 and i believe they fit the tlt axles no problem, you might need a shorter pin but thats it. I have a set at home and I will check on that tonight for ya.

EDIT: here ya go http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Associated-T...QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about the TC3 hex since it's not metric. I bet hexes for a HPI R40 would work since it's metric. I had a set from a Serpent 705 TC. But stupid me I gave them away. A Serpent uses a M4 nut for the wheel so the axle should be about the same size. I bet they would have worked.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #100
Im Brandon

Ya its all trial and error Im pretty sure they fit, I just cant seem to remember though lol.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote