Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Float ST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

That looks absolutely awesome man-should work very well.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I just bit the bullet and made the brushless order. Kevins rear motor had so much torque for the weight I just could not resist. If the combo comes before sunday I will be running lighter than a t4 stadium truck.

Last edited by grover; 05-29-2006 at 09:30 PM.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Here is a side shot of the latest chassis with the electronics up front centered side to side. The pivots are on the back fiberglass piece, and 3 inches under the tranny. I love how low the big lipo is and the bta looks like it will work as well as before.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

A shot of the electronics plate, and one next to the t4 showing the linkless chassis flexing a'bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by grover; 05-29-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Grover, you're making my brain hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if you managed to make one out of thin air I'm impressed.

Any damping issues with the lack of shocks on the thing?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat

Any damping issues with the lack of shocks on the thing?
Hmmm...whel that depends on expectations. These float chassis are very tuneable(I have most liked driving trucks that float freely for about 10-20 deg. and then flex alittle). One thing that I belive helps the most is to radically limit articulation, until its flex looks about scale. If dampening is desired you can do many things. Two that I plan on implimenting on this chassis include a lexan belly that is forced to flex in both directions, and the second is a small rubber grommit on my third pivot post. Only two pivot posts are necessary but I want to be able to adjust travel with out a wrench or dissasambly. People that expect 75 degrees of articulation that acts like an NN are missiing the point. light weight, low center of gravity, and axles that stay pointed straight when they articulate...for a pure comp rig that seem to be a winning formula.

Last edited by grover; 05-30-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure I understand how this thing works. Is the plate/pan twisting and that is where you get the articulation from? Or are there actual pivot points that I'm just not seeing?
Rooney7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney7783
I'm not sure I understand how this thing works. Is the plate/pan twisting and that is where you get the articulation from? Or are there actual pivot points that I'm just not seeing?
In post number one you can see two 3mm nylox nuts sticking up out of the body those are the pivots for the version with links mounted to the stock pede locations.
In post number 23 you can see the team associated pivots on the pan chassis both behind the tranny and centered.
The last version with the alloy backbone and fiberglass plates you can see one adjuster/pivot sticking up out of the body just above the rear axle. There are two more on that same plate that I do not adjust. The backbone does give alittle(only in the desired directions) but not enough on this light of a truck to not use pivots.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #29
Nope..

I don't think I'm seeing how it flexes either. From the pix it just looks like the chassis twists. I don't see anything on the top of the chassis that looks like it would pivot.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:23 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84
I don't think I'm seeing how it flexes either. From the pix it just looks like the chassis twists. I don't see anything on the top of the chassis that looks like it would pivot.
Here are a few shots to clarify, and a shot of the bta. On the ups scale this version is 3.5lbs with three cell lipo and brushless...some weight in the front tires but not alot.
Attached Images

Last edited by grover; 05-31-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

lexan belly went on today.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

crazy it's so simple yet there is so much detail and work put into it
grover thats a tight rig
ToyotaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaT
crazy it's so simple yet there is so much detail and work put into it
grover thats a tight rig
Thanks, and thanks to johnrobholmes for the quick delivery. My truck is ready for the comp this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

And welcome to the Revolution
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Why thank you Microgoat. This higher tranny postition would have been a huge compromise (compared to the original grover tlt setup) with standard electronics. It seems like I have kept the cg about the same and gained over a half an inch in breakover with this design.

With no rear steer I know that I am asking alot of this truck to hold my 2.2 lead with two rounds to go. I need to start driving front steer only to prepare for those boys in Oregon...not just that, NO ONE to my knowledge has ever won a PARC 2.2 event with no rear steer(so there is something to shot for).
Old 06-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
And welcome to the Revolution

WOW, that truck is awesome Grover, soo far outside the box, I love it, great ideas and engineering. Can't wait to see the NEW video of it crawling.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I will be looking for youre crawler at the next comp

I really want to check out youre chassis and that BL setup and see how it works, it might be time to join the revolution
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheeler
I will be looking for youre crawler at the next comp
Thanks unimoger I apreciate the kind words. miniwheeler I will be at the WEROCK event in washington...is that the first comp after the 26th of june(the day I am flying into town)?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
Thanks unimoger I apreciate the kind words. miniwheeler I will be at the WEROCK event in washington...is that the first comp after the 26th of june(the day I am flying into town)?

The Goldendale event won't be a actual ORCRC based comp. More or less a for fun type comp. All the ORCRC comps are already set into the calander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCRC Competition Schedule for 2006:
Jun 4, 2006 ORCRC 5
Jul 9, 2006 ORCRC 6
Aug 13, 2006 ORCRC 7
Sep 17, 2006 ORCRC 8
Oct 29, 2006 ORCRC 9
Dec 10, 2006 ORCRC 10
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

No first place this time. I stripped three spur gears...the truck still made it through all stages and toulk second overal. The modded gear box needs to be replaced with a new stiff case or the stealth Kevin has on the test bench. I was over the moon with the performance of the new electronics, and the chassis performed as expected