Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PROJECT CETANE... dieselfuel's BMVII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Where to get:
hyperion 3013
mamba ESC

Nice rig, I want to join BL side!!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
I want to join BL side!!
Don't do it. It will suck you in.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Im doinngg it!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Rizzo.....what's with the choo-choo, NOT nearly as funny as the head bobbing guy.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
Im doinngg it!
So what are you gonna put this brushless setup in, after talking with Tanis lastnight he said he don't care who buys it as long as he gets the money to finnish Brits SW2! Looks like I'll be adding another rig to the collection.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #106
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have been researching why the OG Revolver starts up better than other motors. Spent about 5 hours on tuesday picking apart motor construction, magnets, wind pattern, commutation cycles per revolution, etc. The hyperion and Revolver are near identical :? both are 12/14 dLRK construction with Delta termination. The only difference I can find is that the OG Revolver has inconsistant magnet detents- IE the magnets are not placed evenly or all of the same strength. Quarks love it, but they wont work well with "nicer" motors. Mamba's run it fine, but they run "nicer" motors better. There seems to be a Quark stronghold around Vegas

I wish brushless stuff was easier!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

How about instead of spending countless hrs disecting motors, you spend a few hrs trying to find more OG revolvers... I'd buy a couple more systems if I could get something I'm happy with.

Yea rizzo and I prefer this setup because its just flat out better. I've never been pleased with the mamba systems...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #108

I can get more of the Revolvers, but the overall quality is very poor. I had more rejects straight from the factory than is acceptable. I have been talking with them about how to improve the design as well (single piece bearing tube/faceplate) but they do not seem very keen on working with me in that respect. I think a better route would be a 12/16 ABCx4 construction instead of relying on shoddy magnets for a clean startup. Although the Revolvers did work the best, I dont like the idea of continuing bad construction for a good but semi-random startup. I would rather find a better design, you know? I am working on it though, and I fully intend to have a replacement that works as good or better than the OG revolver and a quark.

The reason that the revolvers worked so well was the inconsistent construction. There were some that didnt work well at all, but you obviously didnt get one of those.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

It is not just the Vegas crew. I have spoken to many that say the OG and Quark was superior.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
The hyperion and Revolver are near identical :? both are 12/14 dLRK construction with Delta termination. The only difference I can find is that the OG Revolver has inconsistant magnet detents- IE the magnets are not placed evenly or all of the same strength.
So the reason that the Hyperion feels so much better than the revolver is what, the bearings? In my hands (and driving it) that hyperion 3013 is so much more smooth than the original revolver. I've run the hyperion with both mamba 25 and the quark and I vastly prefer it over the OG revolver. I like the settings of the mamba but I like the smooth starts of the quark. The only complaint about the quark is how it just flat out refuses to start sometimes. My wife had a hell of a time 2 comps ago because she would be driving along at slow speed and then poof, no go. It only seems to happen at slow driving speeds when it cuts out at random intervals.

Using the same batteries the revolver also seems to bog in places the hyperion doesn't.

I'm actually looking at replacing a couple of my revolvers in favor of the hyperions. The revolver has drive shaft snapping power, but that startup jitter bugs the crap out of me.

For reference, I'm using elite 1500 2/3A 7 or 8 cell packs.

When it all comes down to it, I really like my mamba maxes over either of the other 2 escs.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #111

Not the bearings, but the magnets. Do I have diesel's permission to derail this build thread further?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

haha!! do what you gotta do.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Do I have diesel's permission to derail this build thread further?
You are not authorized to derail. You need to submit a chit to get permission from BD or myself.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #114
RCC Addict

YOU say you haven't broke an axle yet , thats because your to busy breaking Rizzo`s $hit.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #115

I just started a thread Visual comparison between the Revolver 1 and Hyperion z30's ( 56K beware) about the motors and such. I feel the same way about the quarks in general. Lots of things to consider.