Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: My Brushless Txt-1: Clod Molester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastPJ
how did you get your maxx shocks all the way in like that?I tried,but mine are a little too short
Heres some pics to help explain...

broncotxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

How do you like that brushless with the GD?let us know!
WestCoastPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

So far I love it, its geared a little high right now but it still has loads of torque so i might leave it. I had the same gear ratio (85:1) with a super rooster and lathe motor and my brushless system has way more torque then it did. And it also has lots of wheel spin too, so for me its the best of both worlds whether crawling or mudding. I really like it...
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

By the way thanks for all the comments...
Old 12-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

(Update) Some More pics....

Trimmed the body some...

And Here is some articulation pics...

Old 12-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

do you have alot of torq twist? clean truck
rock zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #27
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicj
have you found out the main reason why more crawlers don't use Brushless now that you are running it?

no motor braking.

that depends on the motor. Only two of my 10 brushless motors free spin. The rest cog heavily since they are more than 2 magnetic pole. Better breaking than brushed they have.

Im sure the novak works great in a crawler. The sensored design gives it a leg up on zero rpm timing. Sensorless designs have come a long way though, and outrunners are pretty easy to drop in. My Twin has a top speed of around 10 mph but enough torque to mangle the stock steel driveshafts.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Location: ROCK CRAWLIN AND RACING WHERE I WANT AND HOW I WANT!!!

Very nice truck I like it!
RocJoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the comments...i dont have alot of torque twist but its definitly still there...its not that big of deal for the type of crawling i do. Well i got some bad news I was driving it the other night and about an half an hour after driving the esc burnt up and almost caught on fire ...Smoke was everywhere! The heatsinks and all the wires melted right off . And the switch was off the whole time . So i called Novak and i sent it in and their going to send me a brand new one. Im bummed i wont be able to drive it for like two weeks. Oh yeah i got the adaptors from Ace in the mail on Monday after sending the money to him on wensday!...great seller and great shipping...Thank you Ace. His wheel adaptors are great...If you need some adaptors go to him... ill get up some pics of them later.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Did you find out what went wrong with it?
WestCoastPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #31

Thats a bummer man. What were you doing the hour before it happened? Were you crawling very slow and getting your tires bound up a lot? Was the motor acting normally?

Im sure that it had nothing to do with the driving, but Im just wondering. Never trust an on/off switch. They dont actually unplug your battery. I have chopped the switches off EVERY esc that I have. That way I dont have to worry about mounting it, and I always have to unplug the batt to power down. Although these things are toys, the electrics are very dangerous. One freshly charged IB 3800 will surge more than 300 amps if it is shorted.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 12-07-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #32

Sometimes thermal protection doesn't work fast enough.

The problem shouldn't have happened. Novak brags the crap out of their thermal protection, -and it DOES work pretty good, but nuthin's perfect.

One thing does come to mind...........

Gearing.

These motors need to be geared down, or else the ESC will overheat and fry.
ratman572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

The blue smoke of death came out of one of my novak systems. Sent it in three weeks later had a new one. Never had a problem since then with it.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

I ran a Novak 5800SS system in my TXT for about 6 months. I loved it. The only problems I had was keeping the esc cool (had to run a cooling fan on it), and getting 50,000 RPMs geared down to crawling speed. The gear reduction I built had the final drive ratio at 170 to 1. Great crawling speed but enough torque to destroy everything in the trans, axles, and shatter steal drive shafts.

I think it just has to much torque after you reduce the RPM down to crawling speed.

Before I converted my TXT to a crawler, I used to whip touring cars in a drag race with that truck/motor combo
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400

I think it just has to much torque after you reduce the RPM down to crawling speed.
I beg to differ. If you are breaking parts with a motor, then you are missing a proper slipper. Even under heavy crawling conditions my slipper does nothing. When the drivetrain loads up from a VERY bound tire, I get nothing but a whirr to tell me I'm not going anywhere. Ive been running a 440 Watt brushless in my twin force for the past few months and only twisted two dogbones. The dogbone slipped out of the cup when it happened the first time, and the second time was a 3 foot fall onto one tire while the drivetrain was going. Im planning on going UP in power for the next build.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Well, before the esc burnt up i was doing a normal trail ride and some mudding not really too much crawling at all. For about two battery packs. I think the switch was bad or something internal. So far I have had no problems with overheating or even the esc getting past warm. Thank you all for all the comments.
Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

JRH, I was just letting you know what happened in my TXT. I did blow the top gear in the axle housing, blew up two internal gears in the TXT trans, shatered the stock drive shafts, broke the pins out of the end of the axles, and turned 2.5 MAXX slidders into candy cains. Mind you I was geared 170 to one running on the unlimited mode. Also, at the time my truck was wieghting in at 12.5 pounds.

Now I run a MM on a 3.11 to 1 reduction and it hasn't broke a part in 8 months. I would love to run my brushless agian, but I need beefer axles and trans first.

TXT doesn't have a slipper, I have a T-MAXX trans, I just don't want to redesign my whole truck to make that trans fit. The MM setup I have now is good enough for what wei have to crawl around here

Last edited by RD400; 12-08-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:09 AM   #38

mmm, no slipper eh? thats a good reason to break other parts with that motor! Is there any other part that could be made into the weakest link on the txt that is easily replaceable?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

JRH, ya, the drive shafts I made for it. They are aluminum, but the end is a traxxas plastic yoke. If things get to rough, the plastic part just shells out. Now its only a $4.00 fix when I get stupid

Last edited by RD400; 12-09-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

(Good News) I found out my brushless system is on the way....I'll get some pics up next time i go out crawling.