Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Widening the front suspension....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Widening the front suspension....

Has anyone built custom upper and lower arms to widen the front of these rigs? If so, please post the pictures and tell us what other hardware was needed to get it to work.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #2

if you run TA02 hubs with the stub shafts it widens the front. They bolt right in with no mods.
yotacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotacrawler View Post
if you run TA02 hubs with the stub shafts it widens the front. They bolt right in with no mods.
I already have some Traxxas hexes mounted up that help widen the stance but I'm after wider suspension arms, something to widen the over all stance and allow smoother and longer amounts of travel.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I already have some Traxxas hexes mounted up that help widen the stance but I'm after wider suspension arms, something to widen the over all stance and allow smoother and longer amounts of travel.
Which hex's do you already have?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Which hex's do you already have?
I want to saw they are Jato ones, but I can't remember. I bet they are about 10mm wide...? Really not sure.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i dont have a cco1..yet.. but i remember this build from awhile ago.. what you are talking about?
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...hlight=wiggles
azxj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
MWRCA'er

I've seen this a while back.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ht=longer+arms

Not really sure how much wider your looking for.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxj91 View Post
i dont have a cco1..yet.. but i remember this build from awhile ago.. what you are talking about?
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...hlight=wiggles

That's pretty much what I'm after, thanks.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here is the Part Number for the Traxxas Hex's. # LXNMR8

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMR8&P=7
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I had a couple of widener Kits for a Wheely King and Axial sitting around. Well I found one that will work with the CC01 with a little work... Push the wheel and Tire about 1/4in past the Fender Flare. Looks pretty good. gave me the stance I wanted aswell.

The only bad thing I can find right now is the Barrel Nut. I won't be able to use those sweet Warn Lock-Out nuts..

I just got the front done and had to head out for work. I'll finish the rear and post Pic's.

Here is the Kit I used.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I had a couple of widener Kits for a Wheely King and Axial sitting around. Well I found one that will work with the CC01 with a little work... Push the wheel and Tire about 1/4in past the Fender Flare. Looks pretty good. gave me the stance I wanted aswell.

The only bad thing I can find right now is the Barrel Nut. I won't be able to use those sweet Warn Lock-Out nuts..

I just got the front done and had to head out for work. I'll finish the rear and post Pic's.

Here is the Kit I used.

I think that setup is a good way to gain width BUT, it's going to kill steering since it's putting so much leverage on the already weak steering setup. For a rig that's going to get used, I think it'll cause more of a headache than any good.

I'll wait to hear how it works though!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

At some point I was able, with the use of some spacers and longer bolts, to cobble King Black Foot, or stadium thunder rear arms and dog bones to the front of a CC-01 (I have no pictures of this sadly). This then found its way into a slightly different configuration on a 2.2 CC-01 buggy I call wiggles:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14397

Last edited by lowslowTJ; 07-05-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added a picture I hope???
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslowTJ View Post
At some point I was able, with the use of some spacers and longer bolts, to cobble King Black Foot, or stadium thunder rear arms and dog bones to the front of a CC-01 (I have no pictures of this sadly). This then found its way into a slightly different configuration on a 2.2 CC-01 buggy I call wiggles:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14397

Thanks... post #6 in this thread also has a link to your thread.

Although it's like what I'm aiming it's too much work for one of these CC-01 rigs IMO. I'm searching for the bolt on modification so that others can benefit from what I find and also do cheaply. Hardest part is finding A-arms and dogbones that are still currently available so if replacement parts are needed, they can be found.

I have some old Kyosho A-arms that "fit" or "bolt-on" and add about .5" in width but only issue now is finding some dogbones that will work also. The Kyosho units I have for spares are too short. Perhaps a conversion to some slider units might be the trick, but then the knuckle and carrier will be an issue.... unless....:?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks... post #6 in this thread also has a link to your thread.
LOL, I guess this is a great example of why you should always read all the posts in a thread...My fault.

Quote:
Although it's like what I'm aiming it's too much work for one of these CC-01 rigs IMO. I'm searching for the bolt on modification so that others can benefit from what I find and also do cheaply. Hardest part is finding A-arms and dogbones that are still currently available so if replacement parts are needed, they can be found.

I have some old Kyosho A-arms that "fit" or "bolt-on" and add about .5" in width but only issue now is finding some dogbones that will work also. The Kyosho units I have for spares are too short. Perhaps a conversion to some slider units might be the trick, but then the knuckle and carrier will be an issue.... unless....:?
the thing with the rear KBF/ Stadium thunder parts is about as close as any bolt on conversion I know of, and I would think you can still get the parts necessary. I will try to figure out which ones they are...

...You might be able to cut the stock dog bones and sleeve them with some steel tubing to add the necessary lenght. Braze the lengthened dog bones together, and I bet they will hold up..??!!!??? IDK its an idea???
Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslowTJ View Post
...You might be able to cut the stock dog bones and sleeve them with some steel tubing to add the necessary lenght. Braze the lengthened dog bones together, and I bet they will hold up..??!!!??? IDK its an idea???

I've thought about doing that but... if out on the "trail" or at one of our scale comps and I break my custom shafts, I'd want to be able to drop in a new unit. I guess I could make some extras but this CC-01 is my budget rig.

My front dogbones look like this.....

..... not enough straight material left to sleeve it
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My front dogbones look like this.....

..... not enough straight material left to sleeve it
awesome picture!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
RCC Addict

This steering mod should take care of the Weak stock steering that is the CC01. If you did this mod it may would afford you enuff strenght to run the wideners that run2jeepn has.
solid link on IFS?
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

When u add the wideners, it makes the wheel kick back at a bad angle.

I like the idea of longer arms though.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
This steering mod should take care of the Weak stock steering that is the CC01. If you did this mod it may would afford you enuff strenght to run the wideners that run2jeepn has.
solid link on IFS?
If you add those wideners, you are putting extra force onto the knuckles and the points that it piviots at. That's the main issue plus just adding the wideners doesn't off any real advantages to the suspension other than making the rig wider overall.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hardest part is finding A-arms and dogbones that are still currently available so if replacement parts are needed, they can be found.
wild dagger alloy front arms:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-wil...th=595_744_713

wild dagger alloy rear arms:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-wil...th=595_744_713

wild dagger arms are the same as KBF arms.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote