Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Junkz0rs first ever scale build! (lots of pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post

Still workin on it.. I'm kinda getting into this scratch-building stuffs...
It's fun ain't it?
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Indeed it is.. but after driving to work today and seeing a few different snorkels in the flesh so to speak, I've decided the way I've gone about the top intake piece is completely wrong, and bulky, and ugly.

Instead I'll stick a few thick pieces of styrene together in a rough shape then sand and file away until it looks how I want.

Sculpting rather than crafting hehehe
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Hai again guys

I've been doing a little more work on my poojero, like soldering bullet connectors for the motor wires (deans ultras for the batteries) and was getting all set to put the ESC and receiver into a box for waterproofing.. until I mangled the project box I was gonna stuff them in. :( I feel like a bit of a window-licker I attacked it with a drill bit I wanted the diameter of the hole instead of drilling a few pilot holes... derrrr

So the waterproofing is postponed which gives me time to work on.... the snorkel

My last post I showed the start of a scratch-built snorkel, well that one just plain sucked so I binned it... and made a new and improved one..

What do you guys think?? Not quite finished yet but ya get the picture...

Will mount to the fender with a screw or two, and I'm still thinking about the top support on the A pillar...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

My brother and I went on a trip today to Gippsland and I took the pajero with us to give it a bit of a shakedown run in the open.

Our friends we went to visit have a very nice new place with a large natural-ish garden and some very steep lush green rolling hills and one close to their house has some nice natural cuttings in the hill so took the rig along one there for a bit of a test. My brother took a bunch of pics which I'll put up asap. This chassis is bloody fantastic I'm 99% super happy with it and the rooster crawler/55t motor combo with 20 tooth pinion combined with some adjustments to the 3PM-mx radio really let it crawl kinda nicely.

I only rolled it twice :-P

The only thing i'm not happy with and haven't been happy with overall is the rear shocks.. I'm using RC channel 80mm with integy 20 weight oil and half internal springs in a kinda droop setup, but while the travel is fine they aren't responsive enough, slow and sluggish which is annoying, so I added some soft outer springs.. but this has made them too damn hard...

Any ideas?

Have some action pics soon.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only thing i'm not happy with and haven't been happy with overall is the rear shocks.. I'm using RC channel 80mm with integy 20 weight oil and half internal springs in a kinda droop setup, but while the travel is fine they aren't responsive enough, slow and sluggish which is annoying, so I added some soft outer springs.. but this has made them too damn hard...

Any ideas?

I'm running some Losi shocks on the rear of my CC-01 and really like them. I can't even recall which shocks they are but they allow great movement. I have them setup at about 60/40(60 up travel/40 down travel). Seems to work really well. I might put a heavier oil in them to slow the movement down a little bit.

Quote:
Have some action pics soon.

...and..... post them!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

PICS!

This is a mock up (body is far from finished) that I threw together for her maiden voyage so to speak.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

More?

my first roll...

Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Those step boards have got to go! They just look so out of place.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Those step boards have got to go! They just look so out of place.
LOL they wont be staying on, I just chucked them on for no real reason. They will be replaced by proper metal rock sliders when I get around to making them.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Ok guys.. I'm sick of this.

I really really need a reccomendation for some rear shocks for the CC-01. I currently have the RC Channel 80mm shocks and no matter what I try, they are just inadequate and need a real alternative.

I've rebuilt them for the umpteenth time and are internally half sprung with axial soft internal springs cut in half which results in a bit of a droop setup, and im using integy 20 weight oil.. and they still effin suck. I can't get what I feel like soft enough outer springs and im not getting full travel.

I would really really love your input into a capable rear shock for the cc-01 that doesn't suck hard and is longer than 80mm up to 100mm.

Despite that... I did this, which is really cool but didnt help these sh1t shocks.

Did some shackles but thats only helped the sh1t shocks a little.. HELPABROTHA!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Looks good bro, im having a similar shock problem and I might just revert back to the originals because I have lost lots of travel and rebound.

Anyways I'll meet ya halfway this weekend and we can go for a crawl aye ?
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Anyways I'll meet ya halfway this weekend and we can go for a crawl aye ? [/QUOTE]

Thats the best idea i,ve heard all year.:lm ao:

The front bar looks good there.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUDGEBUG View Post
Looks good bro, im having a similar shock problem and I might just revert back to the originals because I have lost lots of travel and rebound.

Anyways I'll meet ya halfway this weekend and we can go for a crawl aye ?
LOL It might be a but too wit and cold if I mit you halfway bro.

I'd rather be beached as! :-P
Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

im still trying to figure out those custom links in the back :/ the stock ones are huge and bulky
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxas4fun View Post
im still trying to figure out those custom links in the back :/ the stock ones are huge and bulky
I bought the RC channel rear linkage kit. the lower links are fine the but upper ones using the RC channel ball ends are a little restrictive, I'll be replaceing the ball ends with some traxxas ends which should increase movement.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Stick the stock ones back on to compare. Some have tried the stock Losi MRC shocks, which are about the same length but thinner with success.
Have you tried lighter oil? Just a guess to make them more responsive.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
Stick the stock ones back on to compare. Some have tried the stock Losi MRC shocks, which are about the same length but thinner with success.
Have you tried lighter oil? Just a guess to make them more responsive.
Lighter oil? Is there lighter stuff than integy 20 weight? It's pretty watery that stuff.

I guyss i could throw the stock ones back on but they are a bit mangled heh..

Maybe ill just lash out and get the MRC ones.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

The MRC shocks are a good option for the CC-01, I have a set on another rig and they perform well. You may need to play with oils to get the right balance though.

In your last pic (flex shots) where you have it sitting on 3 tyres ..... I noticed that the top ball end on the right side still seems to be parallel with the socket face. Do the ball ends in the shocks have much movement ?

The reason I ask this is because I had a set of shocks on another rig that I could'nt get to work right, they kept binding up and down and it ruined the whole rig for me. I tried everything I could think of to get them to work and almost shelved the rig. As a last resort I changed the ball ends out slighty wider ones and the change was huge the shocks rotated through there up and down cycles perfectly.

I will try and get some pics to show you what I mean
Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUDGEBUG View Post
The MRC shocks are a good option for the CC-01, I have a set on another rig and they perform well. You may need to play with oils to get the right balance though.

In your last pic (flex shots) where you have it sitting on 3 tyres ..... I noticed that the top ball end on the right side still seems to be parallel with the socket face. Do the ball ends in the shocks have much movement ?

The reason I ask this is because I had a set of shocks on another rig that I could'nt get to work right, they kept binding up and down and it ruined the whole rig for me. I tried everything I could think of to get them to work and almost shelved the rig. As a last resort I changed the ball ends out slighty wider ones and the change was huge the shocks rotated through there up and down cycles perfectly.

I will try and get some pics to show you what I mean
I get what you're saying mate, I replaced the balls that came on the shicks with traxxas balls but yes the movement in them is a little stiff, it is inconsisten with the others, I think the left rear shock the bottom ball is a little tight too.

I think I'll grab a pair of MRC shocks and see how I fare with them. I'm just not satisfied with the RC channel shocks on the rear despite all the work I've done to them (smoothed and polished the shafts, replaced the bottom seal o-rings, cleaned up the pistons and used teflon tape on the top threads) but seems to all be in vain.

Thank you all again for your input and comments, they are much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

No worries bro. One thing with the MRC shocks is they run a M2 thread and I dont think you can run an M3 in them. Thats for the ball ends I mean