Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Junkz0rs first ever scale build! (lots of pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Junkz0rs first ever scale build! (lots of pics)

Hello everyone!

Firstly, I want to thank everyone in this forum for all the fantastic information which has been a huuuuge help with my first build

I'll try to keep this build brief as I have a full build log on another forum.

I started with a CC-01 Pajero wide..

and the first thing I did was chop the brick wall off!

Then using the offcuts, I covered up the gaping hole and filled the cavity with shoo goo and dropped a couple of weights in there.

Both front and rear diffs are locked, did the C-carrier mods, kit has a full ball bearing set and I replaced the stock steering arms with proper turnbuckles and gave the front a little toe-in (After all these years I can't believe Tamiya still give you plastic and brass bushings!!).

I rebuilt the rear suspension using the RC Channel kit and some other bits, waaaaay better than the stock setup...

Also replaced the stock shocks with RC Channel shocks that I had to rebuild. Fronts using 20w oil and the stock soft tammy springs, rear are 20w oil with the stock RC channel springs but they're too stiff for my liking.

Wheels are Axial 8 hole beadlocks (black chrome) and tyres are RC4WD Mud Thrashers.. I have a set of Trail Docs coming too which may replace the thrashers...

more coming!
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The electronics for this build are a Novak Rooster Crawler, Novak 55T and a Hitec HS645MG steering servo... driven by a Futaba 3PM MX

Couple of flex shots with the RC Channel suspension..

The chassis is mostly complete, just need to trim the corners off the front inner guards, move the receiver and speedy into a sealed box and do a body lift.

I then mercilessly cut the front bumper bar off the pristine body!

I'm going to make a bullbar out of brass and (hopefully) the final result will look something like....

So I created a mock-up of the above style bullbar out of stiff paper making a template..

and did a mock-up fitting to the body..

I still have a looong way to go, I intend to fill up the sunroof, use a JunFac rear wheel mount which will have a functioning wheel/tyre, build a roof rack and a front skid plate, detailed paintwork. Still have a bit of work to do to the bullbar, a hole for the 3Racing winch and other bits and pieces.

What do you think guys?

My full build thread can be found http://thecrawlpit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5846

Thanks for looking and again for all the great ideas and tips!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
On the lookout for Rocks

I would change your link/shock mounts. They will get hung up on a lot of things. I took a piece of angle aluminum and made mine

constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
I would change your link/shock mounts. They will get hung up on a lot of things. I took a piece of angle aluminum and made mine

Hmmmmm that does seem to be a far more elegant solution, I shall have to investigate further, thanks for the handy idea
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

looking great, and that is a prerty swift way to make it happen there eh...
good job man.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hi everyone!

Wired it all up last night, and I'm excited to say that she's now a runner!

All foward motion is excellent, but when reversing im getting a clicking/ticking noise from the main gearbox like somethings not meshing properly, this only happens when reversing.. Any ideas?

current config is:

2S 2200mAh 18c 7.4v LiPo
Futaba 3PM MX & receiver
Novak Rooster Crawler
Novak 55T motor
Hitec 945MG servo

I gotta read the manual for the radio to work out EPA's and expo etc. Only gave it a little drive as it was dark and had no body on but zing I can see that it's gonna be a lot of fun!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post
Hi everyone!

Wired it all up last night, and I'm excited to say that she's now a runner!

All foward motion is excellent, but when reversing im getting a clicking/ticking noise from the main gearbox like somethings not meshing properly, this only happens when reversing.. Any ideas?

current config is:

2S 2200mAh 18c 7.4v LiPo
Futaba 3PM MX & receiver
Novak Rooster Crawler
Novak 55T motor
Hitec 945MG servo

I gotta read the manual for the radio to work out EPA's and expo etc. Only gave it a little drive as it was dark and had no body on but zing I can see that it's gonna be a lot of fun!

I get the same thing sometimes. i cannot figure it out either.
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hi folks, a small update on my cc-o1, I've been sick the last few days so haven't made much progress..

What I did do is fix up the rear suspension a bit...

I put a shim under the rear suspension mount and moved the lower susp arms to the sides cos yes, they were getting hung up a fair bit.

Fwoar check out that flex!

I've filled in the sunroof and antenna hole on the body and have started prepping the body.

So while being stupidly sick with some rotten cold/flu thing.. I made my own hi-lift jack (I refused to pay the outrageous price for a brand one)... What do you guys think? My first fully fab'd piece.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Wow, super cleanbuild!! And awesome job on the jack
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The build looks great and the Jack is top notch.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Nice build. The front bumper looks good and that jack is just amazing.
crawler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Hi guys, thank you for the positive comments. I have a few more pics of my scratch-built hi-lift after a bit of detailing. I'm very satisfied with my final result but you please be the judge and I'd love to hear all your comments.

I'm trying to work out a mount that works in front of the spare tyre rather than a bonnet or roofrack mount, here in AU its a common thing to hang the hi-lift off the rear (but what do I know I'm all new to this sh1t lol) :-P
Old 10-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

That jack looks great! Nice touch with the weathering
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #14

Looks really nice so far. That jack looks great.
axialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

They see me rollin'
They be hatin'

LOL

RC Channel 5 spokes with SDI grip doctors. Really like the hubs on these (like the RC4WD ones). Very 'scale' looking.

I really dig the axial beadlocks and mud trashers and will save them for another project (maybe). These wheels will need some weights, and I'll have to glue the tyres to the rims but I have a question, The SDI tyres didn't come with foams, I would appreciate some recommendations for foams to use in them for scale trail/crawling.

It also looks like I'll have to lower my body too to compensate for the slightly smaller 1.9's

Thanks for looking! Comments appreciated!
Old 10-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Hi everyone another small update!

I've been building a custom bull-bar/roo-bar in aussie style out of brass sheet and tube/rod. I've also modified the rear suspension for better clearance and got some new wheels and tires (above post).

My bullbar... This is my first ever try at working with brass/metal. Below is the result of my efforts...

I've really learnt a lot from making this thing.. Firstly accuracy of the cuts is essential, the main bumper part has gaps n stuff because I didn't have the right equipment to make accurate cuts, a scroll saw might come in handy. I also learnt that MAPP and propane are WAY too hot for soldering brass without making a big mess. Next time I'll try a simple butane torch for this kinda work.

I annealed the tube I used in the middle and then filled it with sand but the damn tube STILL kinked like a mofo, this was my biggest failing with this piece and I'm extremely dissapointed with it and after wasting a foot of tubing gave up..

I still need to cut a hole for the winch fairlead and make some mounting holes then it will be etch-primed and painted matt black. I'm happy that it turned out (kinda) how I envisaged it, but on the flip side I'm displeased with the result of my work.. Particularly the bending, that's just upset me.

I'm hoping once it's painted it won't look completely crap.

Apart from that, I moved the long links to the sides of the chassis rails as they were getting caught up and rebuilt the rear shocks with internal springs but I'm still not happy at all with them they just don't feel flexy and soft enough. I've added some weights to those sweet alloy wheels so all up (without foams) weigh in at around 160 grams and I really like the scale look of them. I'm waiting on some losi memory foams to stick inside the SDI grip doctors (who sells tires with no foams??) then I'll have to glue them to the wheels... I really love those axial beadlocks and the RC4WD mud trashers but want my poojero to have a real scale look so I'll save them for another build.

Also bought a 'electronics project box' to stick the receiver and ESC in for some waterproofing, cos This truck is gonna get wet.

Thanks for looking and comments are most welcome
Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The front bumper looks great. Nice job! The new wheel and tire combo looks perfect.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

very clean build, I wish they wouldn't have discontinued this kit:-(
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Very nice work. Love the new wheels, very appropriate.
I notice the 1:1 bull bar has a cross member at the base of the center hoop. Are you going to add that?

Great detailed work on the jack and the bumper looks great, especially for a first try.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
Very nice work. Love the new wheels, very appropriate.
I notice the 1:1 bull bar has a cross member at the base of the center hoop. Are you going to add that?

Great detailed work on the jack and the bumper looks great, especially for a first try.
Hey thanks pantablo I've read lots of your builds and am a huge fan Thanks to everyone else as well for the comments and encouragment. Yes that style bullbar does have the centre cross member, I will probably add it when I do the finishing bits, but need some butane for my little gas iron, using the MAPP will just melt everything else lol!

Now.. Someone sent me a PM asking about my rear linkages, so I took a couple of close-ups of how I did it...

I used a very short screw with a very low-profile head so the axles wouldn't rub on them, applied thread-lock liberally and used a nylock to be certain.

Also today I started mucking around with a.....

Snorkel!

Still workin on it.. I'm kinda getting into this scratch-building stuffs...