Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New CC-01 owner, Hello there!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New CC-01 owner, Hello there!

Hello guys. I'm a new CC-01 Unimog owner however I have been in RC for over 20 years. This thread inspired me to get the Mog and build it up:

Unimog CC-01 in the box build

Evandiego, you did an awesome job on your rig . I'm planning on getting the GPM steering kit and the Junfac four link. I am gearing up to make a custom skid plate as well.

My question is on the GPM steering kit. I remember GPM parts from way back and as I recall they are not the best. Has anyone had issues in installing the steering kit? If so, what issues and what were your fixes?

I'm hoping to get some pics of the build as I go.
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

The GPM steering is alright, its an upgrade over stock but i found it tough to get it together, it doesnt come with directions but i found a thread on here that had a picture of it together out of the truck.
2forty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Look at my thread. I have some pictures of how I put the Steering kit together. You might get some other ideas too.

Lr3 cc-01

Last edited by SFC K; 04-15-2011 at 01:53 PM.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC K View Post
Look at my thread. I have some pictures of how I put the Steering kit together. You might get some other ideas too.

Lr3 cc-01
Good tips there, thanks.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABIDFOX View Post
Good tips there, thanks.
Your welcome. Have fun with your build!
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I just picked up the Unimog kit and finished building it. I decided to try using a LSD since it looks like this has no turning radius even with an open diff. I stuffed o-rings behind the planetary gears and it seems to work well, at least both wheels have power in loose ground and while climbing (or attempting to). I plan to try some OFNA diff lock, a very very stiff silicone grease, it worked well to lock my nitro 1/10 scale TC front diff.

I'm going to look into getting more steering by shaving the knuckles but I want to get a spare set first, anyone have a good parts source?

I also found a full ball bearing kit for $18 through Boca Bearings, just order the set for the Jeep Wrangler. No tax and free shipping in the USA.

Last edited by AreCee; 04-16-2011 at 06:43 PM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm still waiting on my Spektrum RX to arrive so no shakedown cruise on mine yet. I did however paint the body. Since the LHS had no desert tan lexan paint, I went with a racing orange and black trim on it. The color fits the MOG body well. Down the road I will get another MOG body and paint it up military fashion but for now I am lovin this orange. I will get some pics up soon.

My next purchases for my MOG will be the Rock Creeper tires, GPM steering and the Junfac 4 link. The 4 link may have to wait til May as the wife's SUV needed tires so there went 600.00.

I've learned to be patient when it comes to my RC hobby and in 10 more years I can retire and devote much more time to it.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The OFNA diff lock works. I now have a very, very LSD.

I painted my MOG yellow but now I may get a second body and do a mil look.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yellow was my second choice. It's a good color for the Unimog. A college buddy of mine had a 1:1 Unimog 406 in bright orange back in 1993. I told him I wanted to buy it from him when he was ready however I had moved from N.Y. to Florida after getting married in 95 to which he sold it. Aaarrrrg! Maybe I'll buy one when I retire, LOL! Til then, the 1/10th version will have to do.

Got the lights all installed. The Rock Creepers are ordered from RC4WD and the GPM steering as well from Ebay. Once I free up some cash I will be getting a set of Axial 1.9" beadlocks and another set of treads.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Well, here she is. So far I have done all the free mods thanks to you guys, RC4WD Rock Creeper tires, Novak Goat 2S BL system, Spektrum SR300 RX and a Hitech 645 MG servo. It will soon have a GPM steering kit, Junfac 4 link with skid. The LEDs are awesome.

Last edited by RABIDFOX; 04-27-2011 at 12:48 PM.