Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Scaler Tamiya Style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 1.9 Scaler Tamiya Style

So I've been considering making a 1.9 scaler for some time now. I've had a few failed attempts. I wanted to have an independant front suspenssion and a fixed rear axle. NOW I FIND THE CC01!!!!! This could have saved me a bunch of time and $$$$$... and the addiction goes on. I hope the mail is fast!!!!!

Here's what I'm starting with....

- CC01 Kit
- Bearing Upgrade
- Jun-Fac 4 Link and belly plate
- Proline Roof Rack

Planed Mods
- Bolt all the way thought the gear cover to make sure it's tight.
- Trim the front and make a more scale looking nose skid plate
- Winch mount / install winch
- Add rear light's and 4 more roof lights
- Build interror with working sound system
- 1.9 wheels and tires(perhaps)
- Aluminum upgrades if plastic parts fail
- Lock Diferential
- 55T Motor
- Castle SV2 ESC
- 3S Lipo
- WATERPROOF
- Universals
Attached Images

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-06-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1.9 Scaler Tamiya Style

Hell yes waterproof! Go a Hitec HS-5646WP, fully water proof. I run them on both my rigs and the 2.2" rig has had that servo under water for about a minute solid and would have spent 10-20mins underwater in its whole life. Still going strong and with a BEC it's pretty strong. Also have a look into some stuff called Plasti-dip, I've dipped my little LiPos in it and had them under the same amount as the servo and no swelling, no dead battery, no power loss. As for ESC, grab a waterproof BRXL, perfect for your setup. Also dip your receiver, with plasti-dip, any rig can be a submarine.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks for the advice...

I was reading over the portal idea in another thread....

I might go that rout but I thought I would post up moddle numbers to make it easier for others to find them if they are ever restocked anywhere.

Front Portals for a CR-01 - Part# CR01-26/LB (3Racing)
Tamiya CR01 Hop-Up Option High Clearance Knuckle For CR01 - 3Racing CR01-26/LB 3Racing RC Car Upgrade parts:Tamiya,Kyosho,HPI,Team Associated Losi Magic Xray,Hot Bodies,Traxxas,AXIAL,Serpent,ACME,Mugen Skeiki

Rear Portals for an AX-10 - Part# AX10-32/GR (3Racing)
AXIAL AX10 Scorpion High Clearance Knuckle For AX10 Scorpion - 3Racing AX10-32/GR 3Racing RC Car Upgrade parts:Tamiya,Kyosho,HPI,Team Associated Losi Magic Xray,Hot Bodies,Traxxas,AXIAL,Serpent,ACME,Mugen Skeiki

Let Google do the rest!

In Stock
$70 - https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...14&p_catid=138
$69 - http://rchobbies.com.au/store/produc...ducts_id=47273

I only need two, who want's to be portal buddies? I get two you get two?

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-07-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You'll need the CR01 c-hubs to fit the portals on the front I think. And you can always just flip the rear axle and then reverse the channel on your throttle. The fronts are pretty easy to make fit, but the rear portals are really custom. Also keep in mind that if you only do the front it will have a slight gear reduction which will make your steering awful. You can use some SCX10 transmission gears to get a 1:1 ratio on the front portals. I've looked into this route too as you can tell.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
You'll need the CR01 c-hubs to fit the portals on the front I think. And you can always just flip the rear axle and then reverse the channel on your throttle. The fronts are pretty easy to make fit, but the rear portals are really custom. Also keep in mind that if you only do the front it will have a slight gear reduction which will make your steering awful. You can use some SCX10 transmission gears to get a 1:1 ratio on the front portals. I've looked into this route too as you can tell.
Yep, I'm sure I read though your thread explaining it. I just don't want to buy the other parts if I can't find the portals for a decent price.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That's a little frustrating, just got an e-mail from RPP stating my CC01 is on back order even though it was marked in stock when I bought it.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

All-righty then, I've got the chassis put together and the electronics in place... man the stock motor is stupid fast!!!! I'm going to try my 60T motor that I have and if that's too slow or not enough torque, I'll just pick up a GRU.

So I was kicking around some ideas on how to lock the Differential. I've used JB Weld in the past but I didn't want this to be permanent just incase I decided to take this rig and make it a rally rig. I decided to go with hot glue! It great because it's packed in tight, and you can easily peal it all out if you decide you want to unlock it.

I did the same to the rear too. The locker that came with the kit seamed to have some slop with it!

I was able to scrounge up enough bearings around my work bench to not need the bushings that came with the kit. I did use some .5mm spacers to help take the slop out of the gear box.

Here's the Junfac 4 link kit!

Electronics all mounted up!

And just a quick poser shot!

I'm going to drive it the way it is for a little bt and play with the gearing and motor speeds until I'm happy with it. In the mean time, I'm going to start working on the body and interior.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

This is what I finished up tonight. Now off to work for a few days... Then I.can finish the painting.

sent using taptalk 2 - This is not the Droid you are looking for.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looking good so far. I am using a 55t and it is still pretty zippy on 3s, perfect combo in my opinion as I have plenty of speed to clear the tires but nice low end control too.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1 View Post
Looking good so far. I am using a 55t and it is still pretty zippy on 3s, perfect combo in my opinion as I have plenty of speed to clear the tires but nice low end control too.
I dropped in a 55T tonight and I would have to agree with you on the speed. I'll probably run it like that for now.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have probably 10 hours of trailing on my truck with that motor and I'm still happy with it. My plan was to run it until it needed rebuilding and swap it if I wasn't happy.....I will be rebuilding and sticking with it.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I've got the front lights hooked up, now I have to rig some rear bucket lights and clean up the tiny bit of over spray from the painting.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

very good lookin!
JJBTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to fit some 1.9's on there without too much body trimming. That and I need to finish the detail painting.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Do I think the solution is going to be trimming the fender and installing a fender flair to dress the wheel well back up and not look like a hack job.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If you do some shaving on the front suspension arms and install longer shocks or a spacer at the top or bottom of the shock you can get an extra 1/4" of height. If you want a little more height in front you can lift the front body mount with a small spacer too.

In the rear you can install longer shocks, or add spacers to the mounts on the stock ones. Or you can unbolt the stock body mounts, turn them 90 degrees, drill holes through them and the chassis tub and screw them back on making the rear of the body sit about 1/4" higher
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
RCC Addict

So here's how it sits with the 1.9 Flat irons!!!

I added and 8mm spacer to the front bumper mount.

6mm spaces under the front suspension.

I could only fit 4mm spacers under the inner ball mount for the upper control arm. This keeps the suspension travel mostly true. (two 2mm green spacers in the picture) Then I used some spacers under the shock mount to lower the mounting point for the front shock.

Then I used a 3x12mm set screw drilled into the original rear body mount with a 20mm long hex rod with a 3x10mm hex cap and a washer to fit though the body for a rear body lift.

I'm going to have to trim the body a little bit but I have an awesome Idea that will make it look cool and give me the extra room needed to run these 108mm 1.9 tires. To run it like this, I'm going to have to make my aluminum skid plate a little taller ;)

Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Nice work on that body lift, looks better than stock for sure. And I know its a minor details but that THULE sticker sells the whole thing. That's the touch that makes it perfectly for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #20

Sweet ride! Very nice work!

The CC-01 kits are so tempting because of the scale potential.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

1.9 Scaler Tamiya Style - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAMIYA CR-01 FJ-40 OEM style RIMS LRS30 Tires and Wheels 3 03-06-2011 12:25 PM
beadlock wheells to old style tamiya hubs kronos Newbie General 2 05-08-2008 10:42 PM
found tamiya style upper-lowers tsaun987 HPI Wheely King 2 05-24-2007 05:32 PM